Korheiser's leaving MNF! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Korheiser's leaving MNF!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Korheiser's leaving MNF!

Postby moochman » Thu May 21, 2009 11:31 am

joejlitz wrote:
knapplc wrote:They just need to stop trying to create some kind of dream team and go with people who understand the game and who won't get in the way of the game. I watch MNF to WATCH FOOTBALL, not to see some glammy team of announcers. It's like they think the announcers are the star of the show. They've totally lost sight of the focus of the show, which is why we've had this parade of booth-sitters who detract from the game.

100% Let's just watch football. I am so sick of MNF's preplanned dialogue that cuts into the action. They eschew replays all of the time on big stuff (penalties, big hits, etc.) so they could continue rambling and it annoys the piss out of me. Also - who cares about the sideline reports? They don't do replays during sideline interviews either and it drives me nuts. Stop prescripting and just talk about the game as it is played!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't find words to express my joy at the demise of Kornholio. He was a Dennis Miller without Miller's football knowledge..,or intelligence..,or sense of humor.
It saddens me that hiring Chuckie, who strikes me as the kind of guy who loves him some him, is a sign that espn will continue to show football games during their Monday Night entertainment extravaganza. Until these guys realize we watch for the game, not the announcers, the ratings will never be back, back, back, back.

Anyhoo, goodbye Tony. Maybe your fear of flying will cure my fear of listening.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gablemancer » Thu May 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Last year I was questioning ESPN's decision to cut out Emmitt Smith as he is one of the most entertaining football personalities that the world has ever seen, over the bumbling idiot that is Tony Kornheiser. His complete lack of knowledge and getting stuck on big name players (IE Talk about Tom Brady almost exclusively over Matt Cassel last year). Thinking that Tony Romo is going to be the next Hall of Fame quarterback before he's even started a whole season and rubbing in the pain and agony that is Brett Favre's retirement to any Packers fan. Good riddance. Here's to a new day that WILL include decent material from an ex-coach. All hail Jon Gruden savior of Monday Night Football.
gablemancer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Metroid » Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am

Emmitt Smith is one of the most entertaining football personalities the world has ever seen? 8-o

I hope you are saying that in comparison to Kornheiser? If not....speak for yourself. Emmitt is dryer than the Sahara, and duller than a butter knife. He stumbles over his words worse than Kornholer....the only thing that makes me appreciate Emmitt's opinions more is that he actually played the game. Still for a guy that played 13 seasons in the NFL he still sounds confused at times. But at least he also doesn't go into lame long-winded philosophical monologues that compare Terrell Owens running style to that of a galloping horse like Kornholer. :-S

If I had to chose I'd chose Emmitt but I'd chose a dozen others before him.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:35 pm

I just hope Gruden talks about Xs and Os rather than talking news.

Cornhole tried to turn everything into a player drama rather than evaluating the football being played. There is no worse mistake a commentator can make. The only guy that could talk to you as if you were an idiot and make it entertaining at the same time was the great John Madden. At what he did was break out the football for idiots book and tell you what was happening. Keep it to the football being played!

And hopefully Jon Gruden doesn't try to dumb it down too much for the average fan. I'm praying that he pulls a Dick Vermeil and lays down some hardcore knowledge for us. Gruden seems like the type of guy that will be honest and say what is on his mind rather than sugarcoat it. It's not often that you get insights into the game from ex-coaches, most of these guys just end up in the studio and discuss the same topics we read about all week and add nothing new themselves. Talk about the plays and what just happened on the field and give us some damn insights!
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Fri May 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I just hope Gruden talks about Xs and Os rather than talking news.

Cornhole tried to turn everything into a player drama rather than evaluating the football being played. There is no worse mistake a commentator can make. The only guy that could talk to you as if you were an idiot and make it entertaining at the same time was the great John Madden. At what he did was break out the football for idiots book and tell you what was happening. Keep it to the football being played!

And hopefully Jon Gruden doesn't try to dumb it down too much for the average fan. I'm praying that he pulls a Dick Vermeil and lays down some hardcore knowledge for us. Gruden seems like the type of guy that will be honest and say what is on his mind rather than sugarcoat it. It's not often that you get insights into the game from ex-coaches, most of these guys just end up in the studio and discuss the same topics we read about all week and add nothing new themselves. Talk about the plays and what just happened on the field and give us some damn insights!

My biggest fear is that they just have him there so they can show him making Chucky faces. If Gruden can somehow sell himself instead of his schtick he may be okay. Sadly espn is all about the schtick.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Football Talk