NFL Network possibly to land on other Cable Networks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL Network possibly to land on other Cable Networks

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL Network possibly to land on other Cable Networks

Postby spodog » Wed May 20, 2009 9:59 am

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – The NFL Network will stay in Comcast Corp.'s TV lineup under a deal that could also open the door for the football channel to get into other major cable TV operators that do not yet carry the network.

Comcast and the National Football League said Tuesday they had reached an agreement for the nation's largest cable operator to carry the football channel on its second-most popular digital cable tier.

The deal spans 10 years and would cost Comcast 40 cents to 45 cents per subscriber to get the NFL Network, down from the NFL's previous asking price of 70 cents. By Aug. 1, the NFL Network will be carried throughout Comcast's service areas on a programming package called Digital Classic, which has around 10 million subscribers.

The agreement ends a fight that began in 2006 after Comcast announced that it was moving the NFL Network from a digital tier of service with 8.6 million subscribers to a sports programming package that costs $8 per month extra and has 2 million customers.

Comcast said it didn't want to pay the higher fees the NFL was demanding after adding eight live games to the NFL Network.

The NFL sued Philadelphia-based Comcast and brought the matter before the Federal Communications Commission, where hearings before an administrative law judge just ended. The league claimed Comcast was punishing the NFL because Comcast didn't get rights to show eight live NFL games on Comcast's Versus sports channel.

The impasse nearly led to a blackout of the NFL Network on Comcast on May 1, when their five-year agreement ended. The two agreed to continue airing the network as talks continued.

Talks intensified over the last two weeks, as the NFL agreed to reduce its price closer to the original fee, 15 cents per subscriber, which was in place before the rate hike.

With Tuesday's agreement, both sides have agreed to drop the lawsuits. And the lower price also makes it more likely that other cable TV service providers will reach deals to carry the NFL Network.

"Our goal has always been to provide our digital customers with access to the NFL's unique content, and, working together, we have struck the right balance between value and distribution on a variety of viewing platforms," Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said. "We are looking forward to bringing the NFL's programming to our customers just in time for the start of the NFL season."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league was "very pleased" with the deal.

Now if they can just resolve the squabble that would allow all the Cable and Satellite guys to carrier Sunday Ticket! :-o
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL Network possibly to land on other Cable Networks

Postby dream_017 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:08 am

YaY, looks like I may get NFLN now ;-D Except, I will probably pay even more then I do now :-{
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:44 pm

I read yesterday that the deal with Comcast allows them to broadcast the redzone channel on Sundays. That right there is the single best product the Sunday Ticket puts out. I think I might have to save my cash this year if the redzone channel is available on Comcast. Would miss the Shortcuts, but I can't justify paying an extra $250 or whatever it is this year just to get the shortcuts.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby scottaa1 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:50 pm

I'd just recently received the communique from Comcast saying they were dropping NFL Network, so this is good news. I wonder if they'll still have it available in HD.

This squabble between comcast and NFLN the last couple years still leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It feels like the consumer is no longer of importance. And don't get me started on Big Ten Network. I hate that I usually have to watch Purdue or IU instead of tuning in to the Ohio State or Michigan games.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed May 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Great news, they carry Comcast here in Dallas and they definately need NFLN added to their package...Just to make sure I'm understanding, is this going to be on a premium package or premium channel? I haven't had the Sunday Ticket for a few years when I moved, but I really need to upgrade back to that.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dream_017 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:13 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Great news, they carry Comcast here in Dallas and they definately need NFLN added to their package...Just to make sure I'm understanding, is this going to be on a premium package or premium channel? I haven't had the Sunday Ticket for a few years when I moved, but I really need to upgrade back to that.

Comcast had NFLN, but it was on a premium package, now it is being added to a lower package(which 9,999,999 people and me subscribe to)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby spodog » Wed May 20, 2009 2:51 pm

LS2throwed wrote: I haven't had the Sunday Ticket for a few years when I moved, but I really need to upgrade back to that.

Be ready for sticker shock. If you subscribed to ST back in say 2003 or 2004 and then dropped it, and are now looking to sign up again, you will be paying 50% - 75% more than what the package costs in '03.

And from my experience with DirecTV, the fact that you were a loyal customer previously and paid the outrageous sum for Sunday Ticket for years will carry no weight at all when you try to negotiate a better deal.

Hopefully you had ST through one of the regional cable co's, like Brighthouse Communications, as they seem to care a little more about their customers than DirecTV.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I read yesterday that the deal with Comcast allows them to broadcast the redzone channel on Sundays. That right there is the single best product the Sunday Ticket puts out. I think I might have to save my cash this year if the redzone channel is available on Comcast. Would miss the Shortcuts, but I can't justify paying an extra $250 or whatever it is this year just to get the shortcuts.

If the Red Zone channel really does happen, I will be ecstatic. :-) :-)
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu May 21, 2009 11:21 am

eagles21 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I read yesterday that the deal with Comcast allows them to broadcast the redzone channel on Sundays. That right there is the single best product the Sunday Ticket puts out. I think I might have to save my cash this year if the redzone channel is available on Comcast. Would miss the Shortcuts, but I can't justify paying an extra $250 or whatever it is this year just to get the shortcuts.

If the Red Zone channel really does happen, I will be ecstatic. :-) :-)

All praise the Red Zone! This is a FFBer dreamcast. I get hooked on switching from the game during ads and catching up on what's happening in the league.
Very happy that they were able to come to an agreement that keeps the NFLNetwork on Comcast.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk