Dynasty Buy-Low- McFadden? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dynasty Buy-Low- McFadden?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dynasty Buy-Low- McFadden?

Postby Kareighuis » Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 am

Came across an article saying Darren McFadden was a good/great buy-low in dynasty formats and compares him to Calvin Johnson last year.

Would love to get opinions of people I know.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dynasty Buy-Low- McFadden?

Postby Azrael » Wed May 20, 2009 11:31 am

It's a huge ? for me right now. They still have a 3 headed ground game there. One thing you do have on your side if you are a McFadden owner is that Al Davis wants to see this guy touch the ball. Fargas started most of last year because his game was more complete than McFadden, meaning he knew all the protections in the passing game. Fargas and McFadden both get injured and now Bush gets some play, which eventually turned out to be a a little niche for him because of McFadden's lingering toe injury. My guess is that Fargas would eventually be the odd man out but all 3 will see playing time this year. Other than that it's too difficult to forecast IMO.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed May 20, 2009 11:54 am

McFadden just isn't a very good RB to me, it's not surprising to hear he's doing well in the off-season because he always looks great in shorts, always will, that's not even news to me...When he gets into the game it's like he's just running as fast as he can, sometimes it works, but outside of the KC game where the holes were 10 yards wide I didn't see anything other then a hyped up Michael Bennett.

Now before anyone freaks out and considers that selling DMac short but Bennett had a season rushing with 1300 yards, and 350 receiving yards so he has produced before, but I think McFadden is going to have an up and down career just like him because they both rely on their speed and no instincts.

Chris Johnson and Felix Jones, they were burners but they have great vision, patience, and know when to use it, I never saw that with McFadden...Combine the fact that he's in Oakland and I don't want any players on Al Davis' team on my fantasy team and it makes it an easy choice for me.

I would much rather have Michael Bush as a buy low then McFadden.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby iamgregg » Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 pm

I've always maintained that Micahel Bush was the more talented player than Darren McFadden. He's huge, he's athletic, has great vision, bowls through tackles and is by no means slow in his own right. He also has very good ball security.

Meanwhile, McFadden too often goes down at first contact, doesn't fight for yardage and lacks vision

Do you see McFadden making some of the runs Bush does here? Taking on multiple Linebackers and pushing them back. Sure, McFadden makes that sprint, but this just shows Bush is capable of it too.

Week 17 Michael Bush Highlights

Bush deserves his shot, whether he gets it or not from Al Davis is another story. McFadden is going to get his regardless.

I DO see a Bush/McFadden Thunder/Lightning committee in the future though.

Not sure where it leaves Fargas.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:49 pm

If anyone there is going to breakout in 2009, it's McFadden. Best case scenario:

McFadden = Chris Johnson
Bush = Lendale White

I'm thinking if I see McFadden hanging around into rounds 4 and 5 I might have to give the guy a gamble. Sure, there's a lot of downside there, but there is also a lot of upside. Oakland plays in a pretty horrible division right now and RB has been a position of strength there in the past. If Russell improves even by a small increment, I think the time of possession will allow a lot of carries in Raider land this year. McFadden gets out of the gate with a 15 carry 80 yard game with a TD sharing time with Bush/Fargas and he could easily find himself in the drivers seat for the rest of the season.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Bush = Lendale White

Except for the fact that Michael Bush is an incredible receiver out of the backfield and has alot more value then just a goal line vulture...Their style of play is completely different, their just both big, that's about all I can see that's similiar.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby iamgregg » Wed May 20, 2009 1:15 pm

I'm guessing the comparison must be in terms of roles...
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kareighuis » Wed May 20, 2009 5:01 pm

iamgregg wrote:I'm guessing the comparison must be in terms of roles...

Yeah, I think it goes back to your thunder/lightning comparison.

In a dynasty format, I'm seeing DMC as an RB3/flex. Not an every-week player, but only in favorable matchups.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk