Frank Gore to be relieved more this year?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Frank Gore to be relieved more this year??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Frank Gore to be relieved more this year??

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed May 20, 2009 9:55 pm

SANTA CLARA – It's a tricky issue for an NFL running back. Sharing carries with another rusher can cut down on wear and tear and elongate your career. But it also can give a younger teammate a foothold from which to take your job.

That's what happened to former 49ers running back Garrison Hearst, who split carries with a younger rusher, Kevan Barlow, for several seasons. Hearst was displaced by Barlow following the 2003 season.

After splitting time with Frank Gore in 2005, Barlow was traded to the New York Jets before the 2006 season.

Three years later, it's Gore, 26, who is suddenly surrounded by eager rookie runners.

The 49ers used a third-round draft pick – the same round in which Gore was drafted – to select Alabama running back Glen Coffee. The team also is excited about another rookie, Purdue's Kory Sheets, a non-drafted free agent.

Coach Mike Singletary made it clear on draft weekend that Gore was still the team's primary running back. But he also said Coffee's acquisition was in Gore's best interest.

http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/187 ... _rss=49ers

I read in the Mercury News today an article where Frank was kind of pissed. Almost as if he was told he would lose more carries. He claims the more he gets the ball the better he is and that he gets in a rythem. Coach Singletary had this to say: "Frank is smart enough to know that taking every snap, getting injured in the last couple of years – a little nick here, a little nick there – it helps to have somebody in there who can give him a break, share some of that load."

This could be to light a fire under Frank or the reality. It makes sense to me but I hate the strategy for FFball. He is one of those guys who wil likely be going in the first round.

What are your thoughts?
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Frank Gore to be relieved more this year??

Postby aaawall91 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:00 pm

I like it as a Gore Owner in a dynasty league or two. Just makes Coffee a must have handcuff.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed May 20, 2009 11:30 pm

It won't be an even split, but I think Glenn Coffee will make a bigger impact then people believe...Maybe Gore gets 22 carries, Coffee gets 10-12, I just don't think he'll be strictly used to just to spell Gore or give him a breather, you don't spend a 3rd rounder for that if you know you want to use him and just him.

They had alot more pressing needs, seems to me they saw something they liked and plan on utilizing two backs to keep Gore healthy and fresh...Besides Coffee was consistently a spark for that Bama team who played alot like Mike Singletary wants the Niners to play next year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:41 pm

I loved Glen Coffee in college and I agree with LS2, I think he'll be used a decent amount and right now he's been going as an absolute steal in fantasy drafts. Add in Gore's injury history and his value rises even more.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:45 am

Coffee as a possible goal-line vulture? He's a powerful runner who "always falls forward", attacks holes, and runs hard and physical. Doesn't this sound like a goal-line back to you? Only problem is poor ball security, ironically the same problem Gore has....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DemonDeacon » Thu May 21, 2009 12:40 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Coffee as a possible goal-line vulture? He's a powerful runner who "always falls forward", attacks holes, and runs hard and physical. Doesn't this sound like a goal-line back to you? Only problem is poor ball security, ironically the same problem Gore has....

I could be wrong but how is he going to be any better on the goal line than Gore? There still needs to be some push or at least a narrow crack to run into/through
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:23 pm

I didn't like Glen Coffee at all coming into the draft and I thought the 3rd round pick the Niners dropped on the guy was more than a reach, it was a wasted pick. I was frankly shocked when the pick was made, but it was made worse in hindsight after looking at where the other RBs, who I viewed as much more talented than Coffee, went in the draft.

I personally think Kory Sheets, and UDFA RB we picked up, is a much better player than Coffee and would make a much better change of pace for Gore. Glen Coffee is supposedly a pounder, a bigger RB that should be able to handle a beating, but I just don't think he has NFL talent. The guy got by in college despite his lack of quickness, despite his lack of agility, despite his decision making, by plowing through inferior players. The guy has admitted in interviews that he doesn't juke and prefers to ram into defenders. He runs upright, and with that style and that mentality... that is just not how you survive in the NFL. Try to plow through Cory Redding and Lofa Tutupu and you are gonna get plowed. Glen Coffee is not plowing anyone, he's not running past anyone, and he's not juking anyone. As a RB, what is left for him to do but get tackled and take a lot of hard hits?

Apparently there are reports that Coffee is performing well this offseason and as a 3rd rounder he should be given every chance to backup Gore, so I could be very wrong. Either way though, I think Gore is going to still be a three down RB for San Francisco for as long as he is healthy and competing at his normal level. Guy is one of the most beastly RBs in the NFL and has the potential to be RB#1 when all is said and done if the Niners offense improves this year.

I would be wary of dropping a high pick on Glen Coffee in any format considering he may not even be the guy to have. Kory Sheets has some issues, but he made it into the NFL on pure talent. That guy can do some things that Coffee will never be able to do. And on the Singletary Niners, pedigree means very little IMO. The high picks might get the first crack, but the best players are going to play. Singletary showed very quickly last year, that if you aren't getting it done, you are coming off the field.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:46 pm

I saw a lot of Coffee in college and I think you're dead wrong with your analysis...just my opinion on that though.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Thu May 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I would be wary of dropping a high pick on Glen Coffee in any format considering he may not even be the guy to have. Kory Sheets has some issues, but he made it into the NFL on pure talent. That guy can do some things that Coffee will never be able to do.

I'd be interested in hearing what things Sheets can do that Coffee will never be able to do.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:05 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I would be wary of dropping a high pick on Glen Coffee in any format considering he may not even be the guy to have. Kory Sheets has some issues, but he made it into the NFL on pure talent. That guy can do some things that Coffee will never be able to do.

I'd be interested in hearing what things Sheets can do that Coffee will never be able to do.

Maybe Coffee has the same deficiencies that Kevin Smith has...he'd be a "must have" if that were the case. ;-)
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk