Trash Talking in your league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trash Talking in your league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trash Talking in your league

Postby AHill84006 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:50 pm

How do you guys encourage trash talking in your leagues?

In my league, it seems that only 2 or 3 of the 12 guys do any trash talking. Our message board is quiet.

I need some ideas (besides the obvious find some new owners), to get the stuff stirred up.

Any suggestions??
12 Team-3 Keeper
QB - K.Warner, D. Garrard, Mark Sanchez, Matt Stafford
RB - Chris Johnson, S.Slaton, R.Rice, P.Thomas,"Beanie" Wells
WR - Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, D.Avery, C.Henry, K.Curtis
TE - D.Clark, Zach Miller
K - D. Akers
DEF- TEN
AHill84006
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trash Talking in your league

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 am

AHill84006 wrote:How do you guys encourage trash talking in your leagues?

In my league, it seems that only 2 or 3 of the 12 guys do any trash talking. Our message board is quiet.

I need some ideas (besides the obvious find some new owners), to get the stuff stirred up.

Any suggestions??

Personally, I think it just depends on the owners and their relationships. You can't force people into trash talking. I know some guys better then others in all my leagues, so I treat each owner different, some I will trash talk to, others I don't. It also depends on the team you put together and the rivalry that is generated. I usually always get put in the same division as another owner and we won 5 out of 6 championships and always have to go through one another to advance in the playoffs, so we have some trash talking.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby spodog » Thu May 21, 2009 9:50 pm

hurl insults at their girlfriend/spouse/life partner. Usually gets the trash talking rolling in no time.

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theimitator » Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 am

I've offered cash to best trash-talking. Not much, like 50% of the buy-in, and everyone votes at the end of the season (as the commish, I get two votes). The guys like it, and you get some hilarious 4am drunken rants that will earn the author a nickname for years to come.
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon May 25, 2009 11:27 am

i do a few things to get the competitive juices flowing early:
1.Every season before the draft i post league statistics going back to the start of our league (8 years). I tallied up each team's all time results, average finish(playoffs and reg.season), regular season records, playoff records, Superbowl winners/losers, and this year added individual matchup records, where you can see your record vs. any other owner in the league. Took about 4 hours to get it all together but now its just a matter of adding 1 season at a time.
2. i'll post the all-time records to shoot for(longest winning streak, most wins, wins in a season, top 10 highest weekly scores,best winning percentage, lowest weekly score, worst record, etc)
3.And then after the draft i'll post a draft analysis where i critique each teams draft and poke fun at everybody.
4. i post preseason rankings always ranking myself first and talk a little smack to each team. This is bound to ruffle some feathers (all in fun), and gets alot of banter back and forth between teams. (helpful hint: rank the known smack-talkers at the bottom ;-D ) I try to keep it light so guys dont take it too serious and i usually get plenty of feedback. Now i have 2-3 other owners who will post their own pre-season rankings with their own thoughts.
5. During the season i try to go even further than the message board. maybe sending a smack text or even a farked picture over email telling that weeks victim how im going to destroy them.

Basically you have to call people out. Needless to say, im the team everybody loves to hate..but i do it for the good of the league, so it wont get boring. :-D takes a little work, Some teams still dont respond much but by now i think they enjoy it as much as i do.(almost)
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 26, 2009 1:45 pm

LegendoftheFall wrote:4. i post preseason rankings always ranking myself first and talk a little smack to each team. This is bound to ruffle some feathers (all in fun), and gets alot of banter back and forth between teams. (helpful hint: rank the known smack-talkers at the bottom ;-D ) I try to keep it light so guys dont take it too serious and i usually get plenty of feedback. Now i have 2-3 other owners who will post their own pre-season rankings with their own thoughts.

this...although sometimes i wont rank myself first, usually only if it is a keeper league and i'm on a down year though.

also, in a league with friends you can always post incriminating pictures if you have any

also for a friends leagues, and one that involves money, have a weekly side-bet for $5, $10, $50...or even loser buy's drinks, wife-swapping, etc
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Tue May 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
...or even loser buy's drinks, wife-swapping, etc

You dropped that in there like every league likely does this. Wow! Have any openings in your league? 8-o
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theimitator » Wed May 27, 2009 7:04 am

spodog wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

You dropped that in there like every league likely does this. Wow! Have any openings in your league? 8-o

I'd wanna see snapshots before I signed up! :-D
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby spodog » Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 am

theimitator wrote:
spodog wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Great idea.

Hey, lambskin, how 'bout some cheesecake shots of all the wives of the owners in your league!
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 27, 2009 10:11 am

spodog wrote:
theimitator wrote:
spodog wrote:

Great idea.

Hey, lambskin, how 'bout some cheesecake shots of all the wives of the owners in your league!

i just threw that in there to see if people were paying attention :-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner