Inactivity in my league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Inactivity in my league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Inactivity in my league

Postby nannyscircus » Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 am

It's been tough keeping everyone active and posting in my 32 team dynasty league. Also, it's really tough finding replacement owners, anyone got some advice?
nannyscircus
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Inactivity in my league

Postby bungle613 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:53 am

Dynasties are tricky. Some owners feel that it is a year round commitment and are always talking, offering deals etc... Others just look at it is another league and spend time on it during the regular August to December season.

I have done many dynasties and have run into the same problem in all of them and have yet to find a solution. Most dynasty leagues take 2-3 years to find the right mix of owners. I have 3 on the go right now, 1 is in it's 6Th year and we have kept the same 12 owners for 3 years, the other I just started as a replacement owner. IT is in its 3rd year ( I believe ) but needed 5 replacements this year. The other is a 2ND year that needed 2 replacements but I feel that those 12 will now be around for several years.

Being in a 32 teamer... you will always have issues, just be patient. Several things you can do to keep people active are

1) Allow trading all year
2) Open the waiver wire after your rookie draft instead of the usual just prior to the start of the season
3) Expand the playoffs to include as many as possible for toilet bowl awards, consolation rounds for picks etc...
4) Don't let it bother you too much. 32 personalities, you can't find 32 extroverts will to trash talk. Focus on finding owners that will be around for many years.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby nannyscircus » Sun May 24, 2009 10:20 am

This may be somewhat out of line but based on your overall knowledge of the game and insight displayed in the paragraph, I'd have to be stupid not to try and get you into my league :). It is run over proboards and is down 3 owners (New York Giants, Jac, and Ten). Tennesse is the only one of those three untouched. We only been open just under two months so you could fit right in. I understand if you already have enough on your plate but I wouldn't be a very commish if I didn't give this a shot. Here's the link: http://fantasydl.proboards.com

Nevertheless, thank you so much for the advice!
nannyscircus
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby LS2throwed » Sun May 24, 2009 5:43 pm

bungle613 wrote:1) Allow trading all year
2) Open the waiver wire after your rookie draft instead of the usual just prior to the start of the season
3) Expand the playoffs to include as many as possible for toilet bowl awards, consolation rounds for picks etc...
4) Don't let it bother you too much. 32 personalities, you can't find 32 extroverts will to trash talk. Focus on finding owners that will be around for many years.

These are all some great suggestions...I am in a 2 QB dynasty league that I joined after a few years and it's a fun league, but the commish shuts down any trades, moves, etc during the off-season...We have our own league site that it's held on with rosters, and we have a slow draft there, but for some reason he won't let us trade December-July so it's hard to get activity going, nobody wants to talk and it doesn't have that dynasty feeling(which is year round).

I am a big fan of #2(I'm hoping you plan on doing that in our league), any league I'm in I usually try to vote in this favor, besides the obvious of keeping it active, pre-season for dynasty leagues can be alot of fun looking for the next guy to break out...Some guys drop other young players too fast and guys become available, there won't be any huge players available at this point so I never saw the problem with it.

32 owner is going to be crazy tough compared to 12, but I'd just try to ask alot of questions about guys you ask to replace teams, see what type of committment they are in this for, some people are honest and will tell you they rarely trade, or work alot so they just show up to make moves or not, you'll get a little more feedback.

If you want better replacements start to become a regular on the CAFE here, you'll meet some very knowledgeable guys and it's a nice central location to be able to keep track of everyone...G/Luck with next year and welcome. ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer