Manning Frustrated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Manning Frustrated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Manning Frustrated

Postby mrblitz » Tue May 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Flustered Manning uncertain about Colts' plans after two assistants depart
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- All Peyton Manning wants from the Indianapolis Colts is a game plan. It might take the team a little longer to satisfy the three-time NFL MVP.

Peyton Manning, QB
Indianapolis Colts

2008 Statistics
Passer Rating: 95.0
Passing Yards: 4,002
TD/INT: 27/12
The Colts' front office is trying determine how retired assistants Tom Moore and Howard Mudd will fit into next season's coaching plans. Manning, who usually toes the company line, would like a better understanding of what to expect.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Manning Frustrated

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue May 26, 2009 11:20 pm

Sad to hear. The Colts have been so well ran over the past 10 or so years. Seeing it deteriate like this after Dungy leaves is disheartening. The new staff better get it together.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby moochman » Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 am

Do I understand this correctly. The NFL in its infinate greed restructures pension program so that guys like Moore will lose too much of their retirement benefits if they don't retire? How does the league allow this to happen? They are basically threatening the stability of one of the league's most exciting and explosive offenses to save money that wouldn't pay the legal bills accrued in structuring the next multi-billion dollar TV deal?!?! That's pretty poor business.

I hope that Moore can find an advisory position within the organization that will get him around this absurdity and keep his active input into the Colts O.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby spodog » Wed May 27, 2009 10:06 am

moochman wrote:Do I understand this correctly. The NFL in its infinate greed restructures pension program so that guys like Moore will lose too much of their retirement benefits if they don't retire? How does the league allow this to happen? They are basically threatening the stability of one of the league's most exciting and explosive offenses to save money that wouldn't pay the legal bills accrued in structuring the next multi-billion dollar TV deal?!?! That's pretty poor business.

I hope that Moore can find an advisory position within the organization that will get him around this absurdity and keep his active input into the Colts O.

Agreed, this is pretty stupid. Kind of a case of devouring your own. Apparently, Moore needs to be away from active team operations for at least 6 months before he can return in an advisory capacity or consultant role or it will have an impact on his pension.

Absurd. :-t
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 am

Why is this only affecting the Colts coaches?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:35 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Why is this only affecting the Colts coaches?

I believe that the change in pensions were done on a team by team basis. I've heard that Indianapolis was one of 7 organizations to make the change.

Football is a business just like any other. There is no salary cap on coaches and we already see these guys make hundreds of thousands to even millions on the assistant level. Pension plans add up over time and there comes a point in time where the business can't afford these types of expenses anymore, especially when it's mandated that players are paid a certain minimum percentage of the revenue. Pensions and health care drove the US Auto industry into the ground. I would hate to see that happen to the NFL. The average player in the NFL only plays for 3 years or so, but nowdays they average lifetime earnings for player has to be well over a million dollars. Coaches have a much longer career than players and generally I would expect their average lifetime earnings to be much higher than players.

I doubt many people on this board would be complaining about a pension if they held a $400,000-$800,000 a year contracting job that required less work than an average teaching position. You could work for 10 years and be set for life.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Munboy » Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Why is Manning talking to the media about this? Its an internal thing. Yes, he lost his long time coordinator, but so what? Players lose them all the time. Either through moving on, promotions, firings, etc. The whole pension thing is none of his business. If he wants to bring attention to the situation, a sit down interview with informed questions and answers is the better place, not in the locker room after practice. Seems like the "good guy" Manning is throwing people under the bus like he has in the past (see after game interview after his line was manhandled by Joey Poter in the last few moninutes of the playoff game against the Steelers in 05).
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby glackk » Fri May 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Why is this only affecting the Colts coaches?

I believe that the change in pensions were done on a team by team basis. I've heard that Indianapolis was one of 7 organizations to make the change.

I think it was the Indy GM talking on NFL radio about how it was not an issue with the Colts' pension, but with the rolled over pensions from the other teams that those coaches had worked for. If ALL those other teams didn't continue to fund the pensions at 80% or more, then the coaches would lose all of it if they didn't retire by June 1. Indy was actually happy to continue funding the pensions for those coaches, as they were doing an excellent job there.

Regarding Manning's frustration, the GM spun it by saying that's a reflection of the entire Colts organization now. They're all frustrated at the situation and the lack of knowledge (at the time) of what needed to be done to get those coaches back into the organization in some capacity.

Of course this is from what I recall from a couple days ago, but that's the gist of it.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk