question concerning trading draft picks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

question concerning trading draft picks

Moderator: Football Moderators

question concerning trading draft picks

Postby borla118 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:02 pm

this is my first year running a fantasy keeper league

we agreed you can trade draft picks however the question came up

example,

if we have a 15 man roster, and ive traded players and recieved two extra picks in the early rounds, do i lose my last and second to last pick becuase we can only carry 15 people?

i am thinking yes, so for that person, once round 14/15 comes, they just do not draft anyone

is that a good way to have it done? thoughts?
borla118
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: question concerning trading draft picks

Postby LegendoftheFall » Wed May 27, 2009 2:37 pm

if im understanding the scenario, the other guy would come up short on players.the way we handle this is by adding your last 2 picks into the trade so everybody will have the same # of players.

so for example if you trade a player for an extra 3rd round pick, you get his 3rd, he gets your player and your 15th (or whatever your last pick is.)

there may be a better way, but thats how we do it and it works fine to keep the roster #'s the same.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:41 pm

There are a couple options:
- you can do it the way you have it explained, once the roster limit is met, then you can not draft anymore players

- you could also expand rosters to a set limit, say 20 for the off season. Teams can pick up free agents after the draft, then set a cut down date a week or 2 before the season where you have to get back to the 15 player limit.

Some of it will depend on when you draft, how many players you keep, etc.

Personally, I would go with the initial option, but have seen it done both ways.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 pm

we do it similar to what you suggested

if you have extra picks, your draft ends early

if you are short picks, we have a compensetory round(s) at the end of the draft, reversing order from the final round

i.e.
Final Round 15
15.01 Team 1 w/Extra Pick
15.02 Team 2 w/Extra Pick

Compensetory Round
16.01 Team 2 w/Extra Pick
16.02 Team 1 w/ Extra pick
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:22 pm

dream_017 wrote:There are a couple options:
- you can do it the way you have it explained, once the roster limit is met, then you can not draft anymore players

- you could also expand rosters to a set limit, say 20 for the off season. Teams can pick up free agents after the draft, then set a cut down date a week or 2 before the season where you have to get back to the 15 player limit.

Some of it will depend on when you draft, how many players you keep, etc.

Personally, I would go with the initial option, but have seen it done both ways.

Or you could just allow those teams who have acquired extra picks via their trades to draft beyond the roster limit, then maintain those extra players until a cut down date, at which point they must make a decision on who to release.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner