NFL Draft to dissappear without a CBA - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL Draft to dissappear without a CBA

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NFL Draft to dissappear without a CBA

Postby mattb47 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:49 am

The other side though Mooch is that they ALL will lose a lot of money by not getting one done...they all realize that and I just don't think we'll ever see that happen.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:35 pm

moochman wrote:
dmacblue wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
I'm in agreement. No way they allow this to happen.

No one will kill the Golden Goose, there will be some posturing, chest thumping, and stare downs from all parties , but when push comes to shove the goose lives on.

You are being naive. Its not about killing the golden goose, its about getting a bigger slice. The owners have been looking to this day to try and gain more of the money and may think now is the time to be very aggresive. I fear that the owners may be feeding or sensing growing displeasure over players making so much money. Fans are stupid, IMO, on this issue. The money isn't going to go back into our pockets-it will go into some multi-millionaires account. But if you have ever taken the temperature in the Cafe (to use as a barometer for all of society, as I think we'll all agree is only just :-b ) you'll find that a decided, or vocal, majority thinks that players are over paid and undeserving of the money they make. If the league senses this, they may feel the fans have their back if they should close shop for a year to keep those greedy athletes from getting so much money. It is a very real possibility.
Of course I may be being overly cynical. I hope I am.

One correction as part of the barometer...Not all NFL players are overpaid (obviously) I think the general consensus is that the rookie structure needs to be reworked and that money put back into the hands of veterans and retired players. I have no issues with the cap as a whole, as long the NFL television deals are in place alot of money is being handed to owners to help wiht player expenses. What can no happen is $10-20 million being guaranteed to rookie busts. That is a massive hit to any organization.

Matt... giving up a piece of the pie is standard in this day and age. Every major sports organization has had a strike in the last, say, 20 years. If owners feel they can peel back from having to pay on risks, having to pay on older players on the downside... they will in a heartbeat.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mattb47 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:05 pm

True...but the NFL has really prized itself on being "different" from the other professional sports associations and while this has been a question in the past as well on whether they would get one done in time...they always have and I am pretty confident that they will again.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:39 pm

mattb47 wrote:True...but the NFL has really prized itself on being "different" from the other professional sports associations and while this has been a question in the past as well on whether they would get one done in time...they always have and I am pretty confident that they will again.

I would put myself in the fairly confident category as well, just not AS confident as you are. These are multi millionaires (owners and player alike) attempting to divy up billions... just not that simple.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mattb47 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:13 pm

bungle613 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:True...but the NFL has really prized itself on being "different" from the other professional sports associations and while this has been a question in the past as well on whether they would get one done in time...they always have and I am pretty confident that they will again.

I would put myself in the fairly confident category as well, just not AS confident as you are. These are multi millionaires (owners and player alike) attempting to divy up billions... just not that simple.

Yea...not saying it's simple but I do believe the consequences are big enough that they'll find a way to work it out. Maybe I'm just hoping a bit too... :-b
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:11 am

bungle613 wrote:
moochman wrote:
dmacblue wrote:
No one will kill the Golden Goose, there will be some posturing, chest thumping, and stare downs from all parties , but when push comes to shove the goose lives on.

You are being naive. Its not about killing the golden goose, its about getting a bigger slice. The owners have been looking to this day to try and gain more of the money and may think now is the time to be very aggresive. I fear that the owners may be feeding or sensing growing displeasure over players making so much money. Fans are stupid, IMO, on this issue. The money isn't going to go back into our pockets-it will go into some multi-millionaires account. But if you have ever taken the temperature in the Cafe (to use as a barometer for all of society, as I think we'll all agree is only just :-b ) you'll find that a decided, or vocal, majority thinks that players are over paid and undeserving of the money they make. If the league senses this, they may feel the fans have their back if they should close shop for a year to keep those greedy athletes from getting so much money. It is a very real possibility.
Of course I may be being overly cynical. I hope I am.

One correction as part of the barometer...Not all NFL players are overpaid (obviously) I think the general consensus is that the rookie structure needs to be reworked and that money put back into the hands of veterans and retired players. I have no issues with the cap as a whole, as long the NFL television deals are in place alot of money is being handed to owners to help wiht player expenses. What can no happen is $10-20 million being guaranteed to rookie busts. That is a massive hit to any organization.

Matt... giving up a piece of the pie is standard in this day and age. Every major sports organization has had a strike in the last, say, 20 years. If owners feel they can peel back from having to pay on risks, having to pay on older players on the downside... they will in a heartbeat.

I really don't see how eliminating the rookie's money is going to help the vets. Look about you. How good is Boldin? Where's his love? The league isn't interested in paying vets more money, they just use that carrot to get vets approval of limiting rookies salaries. They've no intention of passing that money to older players unless as a mechanism to lower the money all players get paid.

Matt, owners didn't get their money by looking short-term. They could figure that losing some today will gain them much more in the future. I'm not saying that I think it will happen, just that I can't think it is so outlandish a thought.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk