Andre Smith fired by agent - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Andre Smith fired by agent

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Andre Smith fired by agent

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Not sure why everyone is bashing Smith or the Bengals right now. Smith hasn't done anything publicly to my knowledge since being drafted, and until he does this is all a moot point. Who cares who is agent is, or why they parted. If he gets a new agent and doesn't get into trouble will we care his agent decided not to represent him? Also, we have no idea why they decided not to represent him. Maybe he wants a lot of money and they disagree, or maybe he is willing to sign for less and they don't agree, maybe he killed someone and they don't want to cover it up. Point is we don't know, and to bash him or the bengals right now is pretty useless IMO.

Do you really think that an agency like this would get rid of him as a client and THROW AWAY money for no good reason? I sure don't think so and there aren't exactly a lot of businesses that routinely give away clients just because. There is NO WAY they got rid of him because of something like him wanting more or less money than they were recommending...that just quite simply doesn't make sense as the agent's job is to look out for the best of the player in these negotiations.

It's actually completely logical to assume that this guy is just a pain and just another typical Bengals troublemaker especially given the concerns about his character even coming into the draft and problems while at Alabama. The Bengals routinely disregard the "red flags" that keep the other teams in the league from having these major issues and this is just another example of it.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 29, 2009 3:44 am

I don't know too many agents that would drop a client because he wants too much money, all that means is their check is much bigger and it makes them look that much better...These guys are getting commision off of their rookie deals, and he's a top 10 pick, the premiere guys you want to sign as an NFL agent.

Dropping him, and not the other way around, tells me there is something up with him, and it's not very surprising judging from everything that's happened from the time he was suspended from Bama's bowl game to now...Again, as long as he doesn't get into trouble off the field I'm sure Cincy won't care, but even with the little questions he did have about his character the one team who shouldn't of took the risk is Cincy but they never learn.

I still like Smith as an NFL talent, physically he's the best Tackle in the draft and played like it, but if problems start to surface about him down the line they have no one to blame but themselves.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bungle613 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:13 am

Honestly, I read all the press surrounding him at the combine and have read the reports on his issues while in school. I also read the well worded quote from his former agency.

1) They said nothing bad about him. They praised there other clients.
2) The guy may not be a bad person, what I take from his actions is that he is very immature and has no business sense. It sounds to me like he makes unreasonable demands, throws tantrums of sorts when they can't be done and this professional company opted to cut ties with him.

I have more of a knock against Cincy then him. HE is what he is, maybe he changes with time but the Bengals with their past history, regardless of his playing ability possibly being the best choice for them should have stayed far, far away from this guy. The current roster of the Bengals is not conducive to helping a problematic player grow. They are a horrible organization that should be torn apart and rebuilt from owner to towel boy.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dmacblue » Fri May 29, 2009 10:19 am

bungle613 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:Yea...the biggest thing here has to be that a company dislikes this guy so much that they are willing to give up pretty good money to not keep him on as a client...another quality acquisition by the Bengals.

Exactly. You can throw out a lot of names in professional sports but I really don't think there is a worse team out of all major sports that are worse at everything than the Bengals.

All of ya'll is just a bernch o'haters :~(

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby mattUTD20 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:20 pm

I don't know much about the reputation of this particular agency but if anyone remembers the HBO tv show Arliss, I pretended to be him and imagined what it would take for him to get rid of a client. This guy must be a major screwup.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Fri May 29, 2009 12:33 pm

bungle613 wrote:Exactly. You can throw out a lot of names in professional sports but I really don't think there is a worse team out of all major sports that are worse at everything than the Bengals.

I know a few Lions fans who might argue with you on this point.

The Bengals have a gamblers mentality. They are the type of team that walks up the roulette wheel and puts all their chips on 00 EVERY time, hoping that a Chris Henry or a Lawrence Smith (or this Smith) or the next future convict will pay off big.

They aren't necessarily bad at everything, they just can't break out of their own addiction to the far end of the risk/reward scale.

Here is some evidence that they aren't bad at everything:

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:47 pm

spodog wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Exactly. You can throw out a lot of names in professional sports but I really don't think there is a worse team out of all major sports that are worse at everything than the Bengals.

The Bengals have a gamblers mentality. They are the type of team that walks up the roulette wheel and puts all their chips on 00 EVERY time, hoping that a Chris Henry or a Lawrence Smith (or this Smith) or the next future convict will pay off big.

They aren't necessarily bad at everything, they just can't break out of their own addiction to the far end of the risk/reward scale.

Here is some evidence that they aren't bad at everything:

:-b :-b :-b

I will eat my words due to your post.

I look at the Lions and Cincy and while both are just bad organizations I think Detroit at least did not take blatantly bad steps with draft picks. They picked players like Mike Williams, Harrington and Charles Rogers that busted but not for non football reasons. They had poor scouts and talent evaluators that just couldn't see they were not NFL caliber. Rogers may be an exception as he did have drug issues but I am not certain if that came out before or after getting caught in the NFL.

The Bengals on the other hand take possible NFL caliber players but also have massive baggage to come along with it. They then put them in a poor football environment and expect them to succeed. NO chance some 21 y/o kid who likes being cool, some pot, fast cars, the big life can learn from the current Bengal organization on how to be a true pro.

For the last several years the Bengals have had knock after knock about the personality of the players on this team yet they go out and draft Andre Smith and Scott. They resign Chris Henry, and grab FA's like Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson. I am not one of those guys that will say these guys should not be in the league but the Bengals with their history should not be the team to give these guys their 2nd, 3rd or 4th chances.

Clean house and start being in the BUSINESS of PROFESSIONAL sports.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:19 pm

bungle613 wrote:I look at the Lions and Cincy and while both are just bad organizations I think Detroit at least did not take blatantly bad steps with draft picks. They picked players like Mike Williams, Harrington and Charles Rogers that busted but not for non football reasons.

Mike Williams was out of football for a year and put on a lot of weight
Charles Rogers, you already mentioned his drug problem
Joey Harrington played the piano

Those sound like non-football reasons to me ;-)

spodog wrote:
bungle613 wrote:...I really don't think there is a worse team out of all major sports that are worse at everything than the Bengals.

The Detroit Lions organization overall is not as bad as the last 10 years have shown, so you won't get an argument from me. Maybe you will from Mooch
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Lions removed themselves from the "worst organization" argument firmly for me, that's what firing Matt Millen does for you, shows you are dedicated to changing things from the top all the way down to the bottom.

Until Al Davis dies he's not going anywhere because he can't get fired, and won't step down, and as long as he's making decisions that team will consistently be the worst run franchise in the NFL...Coaches are constantly changing, offensive systems are constantly changing, outside of Aso almost every single one of their 1st round draft picks have been a bust in the past 12 or so years, maybe more, that's not a coincidence.

They don't know how to scout talent, Al Davis just has a draft sheet with 40 times on it and he crosses off names as they go, they don't know how to properly and consistently develop talent, they give guys like Javon Walker, Tommie Kelly and Deangelo Hall money like they are top 5 at their positions, the list goes on and on...As long as old Al is there, things are just going to get worse as he gets older.

Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bungle613 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:15 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Coaches are constantly changing, offensive systems are constantly changing, outside of Aso almost every single one of their 1st round draft picks have been a bust in the past 12 or so years, maybe more, that's not a coincidence.

aren't you forgetting SeaBass???
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk