"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Andre Smith fired by agent

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:48 pm

mattb47 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Not sure why everyone is bashing Smith or the Bengals right now. Smith hasn't done anything publicly to my knowledge since being drafted, and until he does this is all a moot point. Who cares who is agent is, or why they parted. If he gets a new agent and doesn't get into trouble will we care his agent decided not to represent him? Also, we have no idea why they decided not to represent him. Maybe he wants a lot of money and they disagree, or maybe he is willing to sign for less and they don't agree, maybe he killed someone and they don't want to cover it up. Point is we don't know, and to bash him or the bengals right now is pretty useless IMO.

Do you really think that an agency like this would get rid of him as a client and THROW AWAY money for no good reason? I sure don't think so and there aren't exactly a lot of businesses that routinely give away clients just because. There is NO WAY they got rid of him because of something like him wanting more or less money than they were recommending...that just quite simply doesn't make sense as the agent's job is to look out for the best of the player in these negotiations.

It's actually completely logical to assume that this guy is just a pain and just another typical Bengals troublemaker especially given the concerns about his character even coming into the draft and problems while at Alabama. The Bengals routinely disregard the "red flags" that keep the other teams in the league from having these major issues and this is just another example of it.

So an agency won't fire a guy because they are throwing away money, but players (Boldin) will fire the agent that always gets his players the most money (Rosenhaus)? I wouldn't think it is in an NFL players best interest to throw money away that they would get by having the better agent either. Fact is sometimes people just don't get along and they have different views. As I said, we haven't heard one bad thing he has done since being drafted, so why is everyone so quick to slam him and an organization because he doesn't get along with his agent?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:04 pm

You cannot possibly compare an agency firing a player and a player firing an agent. One happens quite frequently when things aren't going quite like they want and one RARELY EVER happens. I'm sorry, but that argument is just reaching at best. Was Rosenhaus getting Boldin that big contract? Didn't really seem to me like he was anywhere close to doing that so saying he's throwing away money is downright ridiculous.

I've heard NOTHING positive about this guy from a character standpoint since he was in college and even into the draft and since he's been in the league...this is just another negative thing surrounding this player. Negative things like this tend to follow guys who make trouble. The reason people are going to rip Cincy, myself included, is because they have a PROVEN track record of ignoring huge character red flags and this is just a far too familiar situation for the Bengals. This was one of the guys with the biggest red flags from a character standpoint and they once again ignored them all and took him regardless.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:29 pm

mattb47 wrote:You cannot possibly compare an agency firing a player and a player firing an agent. One happens quite frequently when things aren't going quite like they want and one RARELY EVER happens. I'm sorry, but that argument is just reaching at best. Was Rosenhaus getting Boldin that big contract? Didn't really seem to me like he was anywhere close to doing that so saying he's throwing away money is downright ridiculous.

I've heard NOTHING positive about this guy from a character standpoint since he was in college and even into the draft and since he's been in the league...this is just another negative thing surrounding this player. Negative things like this tend to follow guys who make trouble. The reason people are going to rip Cincy, myself included, is because they have a PROVEN track record of ignoring huge character red flags and this is just a far too familiar situation for the Bengals. This was one of the guys with the biggest red flags from a character standpoint and they once again ignored them all and took him regardless.

Probably the 2nd biggest red flag... they managed to get the BIGGEST red flag a little later in the draft. Quality work Bengals ;-D
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 pm

mattb47 wrote:You cannot possibly compare an agency firing a player and a player firing an agent. One happens quite frequently when things aren't going quite like they want and one RARELY EVER happens. I'm sorry, but that argument is just reaching at best. Was Rosenhaus getting Boldin that big contract? Didn't really seem to me like he was anywhere close to doing that so saying he's throwing away money is downright ridiculous.

Interestingly enough, I just did. One rarely happens? How do you know that? Do you know when any player is let go from an agency? Maybe some of these players that "fire" their agents were really let go, yet the agency wasn't dumb enough to come out and make it public. Like Kensat said earlier, this was an amateur maneuver. i don't care what happened, you don't make it public because you are not going to look good in the future. My point here is that we have no idea what happened, nor do we know what happens to other people, and to sit around and rip people because we think something with no proof is unproductive IMO. Outside of the last few months of his college career what did you hear negative about him? I follow the SEC pretty close and I hadn't heard much of anything negative on him til late in his college career. Maybe the guy got caught up in the hype, maybe he believes he deserves things he doesn't, maybe he is scum bag. My point is we don't know and bashing for the sake of bashing is unproductive. I seem to be the extreme minority here, so obviously I must be wrong and I am wasting my time.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri May 29, 2009 11:06 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:

Interestingly enough, I just did. One rarely happens? How do you know that? Do you know when any player is let go from an agency? Maybe some of these players that "fire" their agents were really let go, yet the agency wasn't dumb enough to come out and make it public. Like Kensat said earlier, this was an amateur maneuver. i don't care what happened, you don't make it public because you are not going to look good in the future. My point here is that we have no idea what happened, nor do we know what happens to other people, and to sit around and rip people because we think something with no proof is unproductive IMO. Outside of the last few months of his college career what did you hear negative about him? I follow the SEC pretty close and I hadn't heard much of anything negative on him til late in his college career. Maybe the guy got caught up in the hype, maybe he believes he deserves things he doesn't, maybe he is scum bag. My point is we don't know and bashing for the sake of bashing is unproductive. I seem to be the extreme minority here, so obviously I must be wrong and I am wasting my time.

That is my issue with this agency. How many times does an agency drop an athlete. Dunno. How many times does that agency issue a statement ripping the athlete? I can think of once. That you would be dropping an athlete, especially a rookie, your actions say enough. Coming out with a list of reasons for dropping said player makes it sound like a personal vendetta and is totally unprofessional in my eyes.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby moochman » Fri May 29, 2009 11:25 pm

dream_017 wrote:
bungle613 wrote:I look at the Lions and Cincy and while both are just bad organizations I think Detroit at least did not take blatantly bad steps with draft picks. They picked players like Mike Williams, Harrington and Charles Rogers that busted but not for non football reasons.

Mike Williams was out of football for a year and put on a lot of weight
Charles Rogers, you already mentioned his drug problem
Joey Harrington played the piano

Those sound like non-football reasons to me ;-)

spodog wrote:
bungle613 wrote:...I really don't think there is a worse team out of all major sports that are worse at everything than the Bengals.

I know a few Lions fans who might argue with you on this point.

The Detroit Lions organization overall is not as bad as the last 10 years have shown, so you won't get an argument from me. Maybe you will from Mooch

The Lions have been the worst organization in the history of football over the last decade. The record speaks for itself. 0-16 is the icing on the urinal cake that has been Lions football over the last ten years. Quick FO recap:
1999- Bobby the General Ross quits midseason to cap a record tainted by magical moves like going for two in Arizona, mysterious bus tickets out of town that never showed up, and any Lions fan worth their pain remembers "Abandon ship, whoomp, whoomp, whoomp!" DaBears kick a winning FG in game 16 and the 9-7 Lions miss out on the playoffs. Bring in the Matt Millen Error. Tell coach he has a job and interview his replacement in the next room. Then fire him and hire a guy (Mornhenwig) who had no experience. Fire him (after stating that he is going to be the coach) when Mariucci became available. Tell Mariuccu to play Joey Blueskies instead of Garcia then fire Mariucci after pathetic Thanksgiving Day debacle and hire DC Jauron to coach. Fire Jauron to hire another coach with no experience. Fire NimRod Marinelli after he brilliantly leads his team to an historic 0-16 season. Fire Millen and hire Willie Clay Ford's latest BFF and noted football ignoramous Tom Lewand to be president and Millen disciple Martin Mayhew to be GM (Oh, two other people with no experience at their jobs) Then hire another head coach with no experience.
This is the worst football team. At least with Krypt Keeper Al Davis we know he is clearly senile. With William Clay Ford the best defense we got is that he is a moron. Moron trumps senile.

BTW-I do like The Schwartz and Linehan(?) Hate Gunther Cunningham. I am hopeful that they can luck into a few good things and turn it around in Detroit. Sadly, I am almost certain that it would be a product of much overdue luck than it will be of any FO brilliance from the Insane Clown Posse at Allen Park.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dmacblue » Sat May 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Top ten reasons the Bengals organization has continued to (mostly) suck.

1) Mike Brown is an idiotic egomaniac who refuses to bring proven staff (from GM level thru scouting personnel) to properly run his franchise.
:-?
:-?

errrrrm, well thats it really

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby dmacblue » Sat May 30, 2009 2:25 pm

I dont think Andre's issues are extreme by any means, certainly no where near the risk of Scott.

i think Andre proves to be less of a headache than Percy Harvin, who is stuck up his own rear. Time will tell as their future careers develop.....or don't.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:42 pm

dmacblue wrote:I dont think Andre's issues are extreme by any means, certainly no where near the risk of Scott.

i think Andre proves to be less of a headache than Percy Harvin, who is stuck up his own rear. Time will tell as their future careers develop.....or don't.

and you know that how? Someone told you? Don't believe everything you read. I have talked with some Gator players and Percy was a great teammate. He wants to win and compete everyday and sometimes people take that as something its not. He wants to be the best, nothing wrong with that.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk