Starting 2010, final coaches' poll private - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Starting 2010, final coaches' poll private

Moderator: Football Moderators

Starting 2010, final coaches' poll private

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu May 28, 2009 9:47 pm

LAME.

This will make the poll even more unreliable and biased.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... otes_N.htm
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Starting 2010, final coaches' poll private

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:24 am

So I was going to come in here and just post "what the heck is their reasoning behind that?", but I figured if I read the article they'd explain it. So I read the article, and the questions still stands....what the heck is their reasoning behind that?

The really didn't explain it at all, except to say "confidential voting is better, that's why they use it when they vote for the president". Ok...that's not really a reason at all. They just kind of said "we're doing it this way because it's better", without ever saying why they think it's better.

It's going to be a mess. Heck, it already is. Mack Brown said he was really, really close to going against the rules and voting Texas #1 after the BCS championship game last year. Then he said he wouldn't vote next year. Now after this gets announced he says he's really excited about being a voter next year. Anyone think Mack Brown's poll is going to be anything other than the exact scenario that works best for Texas?

Seriously, where do they find the guys that make these rules? The head of whatever ridiculous committee that is responsible for this said he was relieved that not only did this part about confidentiality pass, but also that the proposed change to eliminate preseason polls did not pass. Uh...that's the exact opposite of the optimal results. Eliminating preseason polls would have been a step forward.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:49 pm

I dont think any of this matters one way or the other. Ideally, I'd like there to be transparency, but even when it is/was there, the voting still sucked.

Theoretically, one would like to believe that w/o preseason polls there wont be a bias, but just because an official poll isn't released doesn't mean that voters don't already have preconceived notions about their rankings.

If voters could ever get to the point that a team they perceive to be top5 one week, might not even be rankable the next, I think we'd get better resutls.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:28 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:I dont think any of this matters one way or the other. Ideally, I'd like there to be transparency, but even when it is/was there, the voting still sucked.

Mack Brown already said that if the poll had been confidential last year he would have voted Texas #1 at the end of the season...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to College Football