Are you a huge Cowboy fan? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are you a huge Cowboy fan?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Are you a huge Cowboy fan?

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:41 pm

dream_017 wrote:If they don't get ratings, they won't be on. So, they must be getting ratings

I've actually heard that the NFL Network in general is a money pit/ratings loser. The games played on the NFL Network on Thursday and Saturday are worth hundreds of millions more than they bring in if they were sold to a cable station. The distribution and advertising monies that the Network brings in all year don't even come close to what they could make if they sold those spots off during the season.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
dream_017 wrote:If they don't get ratings, they won't be on. So, they must be getting ratings

I've actually heard that the NFL Network in general is a money pit/ratings loser. The games played on the NFL Network on Thursday and Saturday are worth hundreds of millions more than they bring in if they were sold to a cable station. The distribution and advertising monies that the Network brings in all year don't even come close to what they could make if they sold those spots off during the season.

The original concept of the thread was the Cowboys being on frequently. My statement is based on that, they are getting better ratings by showing more(perceived) Cowboys than other teams. My statement was not that NFL Network is outdrawing MNF or SNF or SportCenter
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:52 pm

Kensat30 wrote:

Didn't Goodell just get a deal done to get NFL network on basic digital cable this year or did I hear that wrong?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Azrael wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

Didn't Goodell just get a deal done to get NFL network on basic digital cable this year or did I hear that wrong?

It is going to be available on a lower tier package this year ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:55 pm

bmor8811 wrote:
Azrael wrote:I honestly don't know why they are called "America's team". I can't think of a more hated team in the league by the entire league.

Yea, because that name was given to them recently? They were really hated when they were the greatest dynasty just 10ish years ago. Oh, how quickly people forget, and guess what if they won the SuperBowl this year, guess what? All of a sudden more people would like Dallas. Bottom line people are fickle band waggoner's 99% of the time so go ahead and like the Steelers now, just make sure to get ready to buhy "your" team's clothes next year when another team wins it all.

Ha, dude, I live about an hour from Pittsburgh so I'm not just some band wagoner. And doesn't it make more sense that the team is more hated when they win. No one really hated NE until they won 3 SBs in 4 years.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Azrael wrote:
bmor8811 wrote:
Azrael wrote:I honestly don't know why they are called "America's team". I can't think of a more hated team in the league by the entire league.

Yea, because that name was given to them recently? They were really hated when they were the greatest dynasty just 10ish years ago. Oh, how quickly people forget, and guess what if they won the SuperBowl this year, guess what? All of a sudden more people would like Dallas. Bottom line people are fickle band waggoner's 99% of the time so go ahead and like the Steelers now, just make sure to get ready to buhy "your" team's clothes next year when another team wins it all.

Ha, dude, I live about an hour from Pittsburgh so I'm not just some band wagoner. And doesn't it make more sense that the team is more hated when they win. No one really hated NE until they won 3 SBs in 4 years.

No kidding...look at the other ultra hated teams in sports...do you really think people would hate the Yankees and Lakers and the like if they were really bad or even just mediocre for their existence? People hate teams for a few reasons...sometimes they hate them because they are winning when their team isn't, sometimes you hate a team because of the way they do business (probably the biggest one for the Yanks), sometimes you hate a team because of the coach/owner/players on the team, and sometimes they're just a rival of your team so you hate them.

I know I've been a Steelers fan all my life too and I've always hated the Cowboys because of seeing them play each other as I was growing up and hating when we lost. Also can't really stand Jerry that much so that doesn't hurt either.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Azrael wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

Comcast pays around $0.30 per subscriber after the new deal, times 30 million subscribers equals around $10 million in revenue per year for the NFL. Comcast is the biggest cable operator in the United States. Previously Comcast had been paying closer to $1 per subscriber like everyone else and that was the reason that Comcast had the channel on the $5/mth "sports tier" to keep the number of subscribers down and save money (while making good change on the sports tier fees at the same time). This all came about because I believe it was a couple of years ago, the NFL nearly triple the per subscriber fee for carrying the NFL Network and as a result of that Comcast moved the channel to the sports tier. Other cable providers are still charged a higher amount than Comcast to carry the NFL Network. Bottomline, I have a hard time seeing how the NFL is making more than say $50 million a year in distribution deals with cable providers for the NFL Network, and it's probably significantly less than that. Any advertising revenues from the Network are also offset by the costs associated with running a TV channel, including hiring personalities to multi-million dollar contracts.

It has been reported that the games that NFL Network carries on Thursday and Saturdays late in the season are worth upwards of $350+ million to cable stations per season. IF you saw them sell those games, it would probably be something like a 5-year contract for $2 billion dollars. Those are mostly national games similar to SNF and MNF, including Thanksgiving. I'm not sure how much the MNF franchise is worth right now, but it has to be in the billions. Game fees for cable stations are reported to still be going up a decent percentage every year even as other revenues are going down. Nationally televised games are a huge source of revenue for the league. Direct TV just reupped their subscriber agreement for the Sunday Ticket (a monopoly again similar to the exclusive MNF and SNF franchises) for nearly $1 billion a season and we all know who covers that massive fee every year. What is the Ticket this year like $300?

There is big BIG money and demand for carrying NFL games. What the NFL Network brings in from advertising and subscribers fees doesn't even come close to covering the difference. No one is going to pay $300 a season to subscribe to the Network, and few people were even willing to pay the $5. The NFL Network is already a money loser, ratings really don't matter to them as much as they should. I highly doubt that the NFL Network is a profitable enterprise for the NFL from a direct financial perspective, it's more of a brand builder.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby bmor8811 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Bottom line only ONE team can brag for having a better franchise all time than the Cowboys, based on Super Bowl Championships and overall marketability around the globe. And that team (obviously Pittsburgh) has been around 30+ years more than Dallas. Sooo, sorry guys... I wasn't a fan of T.O. and I'm still not a fan of Jerry Jones but America's Team is here to stay like it or not :-D
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 pm

bmor8811 wrote:Bottom line only ONE team can brag for having a better franchise all time than the Cowboys, based on Super Bowl Championships and overall marketability around the globe. And that team (obviously Pittsburgh) has been around 30+ years more than Dallas. Sooo, sorry guys... I wasn't a fan of T.O. and I'm still not a fan of Jerry Jones but America's Team is here to stay like it or not :-D

No one is saying they're not here to stay but I think people in general would like NFL Network more if they acknowledged that there was more than 1 team in the NFL.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bmor8811 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:05 pm

mattb47 wrote:
bmor8811 wrote:Bottom line only ONE team can brag for having a better franchise all time than the Cowboys, based on Super Bowl Championships and overall marketability around the globe. And that team (obviously Pittsburgh) has been around 30+ years more than Dallas. Sooo, sorry guys... I wasn't a fan of T.O. and I'm still not a fan of Jerry Jones but America's Team is here to stay like it or not :-D

No one is saying they're not here to stay but I think people in general would like NFL Network more if they acknowledged that there was more than 1 team in the NFL.

If I got NFL Network I would know what y'all were talking about, but Time Warner Cable and the NFL Network are still disputing. I was just answering the anti-America's team sentiment... but overall networks show what gets ratings. They don't show random things with no reason. So, obviously the Dallas games are getting rankings or Jerry Jones is the CEO of the NFL NEtwork :-b
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk