Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My QB Sleeper is....

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Mathew11. wrote:
recmccl wrote:
benb18a wrote:
Yeah I've seen him hanging around in the teen rounds, and I've tried to grab him in some of my recent mock drafts. When Lynch gets back, he has a very nice situation waiting for him ;-D

I recently picked up Edwards in my other league. I heard Buf is going to try an up tempo no huddle. I hope that opens things up for Edwards. And with Evans and Owens he has some nice tools.

I still dont like him with TO and Evans heck i dont even like him with Moss and Welker if he was the Qb of the Pats

If Moss and Welker could make Cassel look like a good QB...then Edwards would look all-pro with those guys. He's a MUCH better QB than you're giving him credit for.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby recmccl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:21 am

Mathew11. wrote:
recmccl wrote:
benb18a wrote:
Yeah I've seen him hanging around in the teen rounds, and I've tried to grab him in some of my recent mock drafts. When Lynch gets back, he has a very nice situation waiting for him ;-D

I recently picked up Edwards in my other league. I heard Buf is going to try an up tempo no huddle. I hope that opens things up for Edwards. And with Evans and Owens he has some nice tools.

I still dont like him with TO and Evans heck i dont even like him with Moss and Welker if he was the Qb of the Pats

No facts other than you just "don't like him"? No comment, except you come pretty close to spittin.
recmccl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby wet_fantasy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:58 am

shaun hill as a sleeper??

highly doubt that one.
wet_fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:35 am

wet_fantasy wrote:shaun hill as a sleeper??

highly doubt that one.

Why not? Last season he was tied for the #8 QB in fantasy points per game with Matt Schaub. He averaged more fantasy points than McNabb did and it's not like he just played a couple games, he played in 9 games last season so it's a decent amount to look at. He's got no worse targets than he did last season and plays in a weak division...why can't he be a decent sleeper?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby wet_fantasy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:53 am

mattb47 wrote:

highly doubt that one.

Why not? Last season he was tied for the #8 QB in fantasy points per game with Matt Schaub. He averaged more fantasy points than McNabb did and it's not like he just played a couple games, he played in 9 games last season so it's a decent amount to look at. He's got no worse targets than he did last season and plays in a weak division...why can't he be a decent sleeper?

i just don't see him shaping into a legit QB1....in those 9 games, he threw for 300+ yards only once and never threw more than 2 td's in a game....and on AVG, he's good for throwing an INT every game..unless your team is stacked, you may be able to get away with having Hill as your QB....otherwise, i'd pass on him.
wet_fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:15 pm

wet_fantasy wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

highly doubt that one.

i just don't see him shaping into a legit QB1....in those 9 games, he threw for 300+ yards only once and never threw more than 2 td's in a game....and on AVG, he's good for throwing an INT every game..unless your team is stacked, you may be able to get away with having Hill as your QB....otherwise, i'd pass on him.

No one is talking about taking him as a QB1...that's not what a "sleeper" is...it's a guy you take later in the draft that could end up being better than where he was drafted. Hill fits that to a "T" as he's going VERY late if at all in drafts and he's proven he can put up decent numbers...you don't have to throw a bunch of 300+ yard games to be a decent fantasy QB (there really aren't as many 300+ yard games even with the elite QBs as some people think). For example, Peyton Manning only had 4 games of 300+ last season and just 3 the year before.

Hill may not put up earth shattering numbers but if you look at what he did last season in his 9 games, he was on pace for the following numbers:

321-512 (63%) for 3637 yards, 23 TDs and 14 INTs with 200 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs. So that's 26 total TDs to just 14 INTs and those numbers would have put him squarely in the top 10 for fantasy QBs at 297.5 FP (#7 fantasy QB last year).

To me, that's his upside which means that if you can take a QB very late in your drafts that could potentially end up top 10, then that's the definition of a sleeper. I don't know that he will end up that good or that I even expect him to, but the potential is there.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wet_fantasy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm

mattb47 wrote:
wet_fantasy wrote:
mattb47 wrote:I don't know that he will end up that good or that I even expect him to, but the potential is there.

you can say that for a lot of players...
wet_fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 pm

wet_fantasy wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
wet_fantasy wrote:

you can say that for a lot of players...

Except for not "a lot" of players flashed that kind of potential for more than half a season like Hill did. You know how many of the other guys who were in the top 10 in points per game last year you can draft that late? NONE. The others were Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Cutler, Warner, Romo, Manning, Schaub, and McNabb. All those guys are going to be going MANY rounds before Hill and if you're just taking someone as a backup, why not take a flier on a guy who could potentially outplay your starter?

I'm sorry...but it just seems like you've simply decided not to like him no matter what he did last year or the arguments anyone puts up...this is not a thread about guys who are going to be elite players, it's about guys who "could" be solid players that you can get for a lower price and who could emerge this season. That's what a sleeper is...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ahzzy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Maybe I'm a bit naive but what's the point of a sleeper QB? It's different with a RB or WR where you'll have 4-6 on your roster. But with QB at most you'll have is 2 unless it's a really deep league. With only 2 QB wouldn't you want your bench to be a safe pick so you're not totally screwed when Brady tears his ACL?
Ahzzy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk