My QB Sleeper is.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My QB Sleeper is....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: My QB Sleeper is....

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Ahzzy wrote:Maybe I'm a bit naive but what's the point of a sleeper QB? It's different with a RB or WR where you'll have 4-6 on your roster. But with QB at most you'll have is 2 unless it's a really deep league. With only 2 QB wouldn't you want your bench to be a safe pick so you're not totally screwed when Brady tears his ACL?

Well...chances are if you spent a high enough draft pick to grab someone like Brady, Brees, Manning, etc...you're going to be screwed no matter what if they go down for the season. Spending time discussing guys who are "sleepers" is beneficial because not everyone wants to or is able to secure one of the better backup QBs especially if they spent a high pick on one of the "elite" QBs. This is not really deep sleeper talk where we're proposing that you take someone like Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels, but the guys we talk about from a sleeper standpoint for QBs are guys who will likely be taken late in drafts or just barely not be taken and could very well produce more than where they are drafted.

An example of this is someone like Matt Hasselbeck, he's being taken pretty late in drafts as a backup but he easily has top 10 potential if he can stay healthy all season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brett5673 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 pm

I have to say hasselbeck and trent Edwards seem like solid sleepers. Hasselbeck has a much better surrounding this year for him to succeed, albeit the RB situation is a little thin. Edwards has almost the same thing as hasselbeck considering the surrounding, with a good WR coming and a slightly thin RB situation (def for the first 3 games). But both are good accurate QBs who can at least become solid if healthy
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 2ksports » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:46 am

I'm casting my sleeper vote for Trent Edwards. I think he'll be a tier2 QB this year, and he's being drafted as a tier 4 or 5.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby nicksti » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:51 pm

My vote is Chad Pennington.

Which brings me to a point: Why is Chad Pennington so low in cheat sheets?

He is grouped in the bottom tier of the QB list and I do not understand why. He managed to play every single game last year and his stats were really good.

3653 yds - 9th
19 tds - 11th
7 ints

Am I missing something?
nicksti
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby brett5673 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:06 pm

nicksti wrote:My vote is Chad Pennington.

He is grouped in the bottom tier of the QB list and I do not understand why. He managed to play every single game last year and his stats were really good.

3653 yds - 9th
19 tds - 11th
7 ints

Am I missing something?

Well, Miami is a run first offense for the most part, and that was somewhat out of the ordinary year for Pennington. Yes he probably is a little low, but there are just as many people ahead of him that have as just as much of a convincing case as him to be a sleeper or put up better numbers.
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby nicksti » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:22 pm

brett5673 wrote:

3653 yds - 9th
19 tds - 11th
7 ints

Am I missing something?

Well, Miami is a run first offense for the most part, and that was somewhat out of the ordinary year for Pennington. Yes he probably is a little low, but there are just as many people ahead of him that have as just as much of a convincing case as him to be a sleeper or put up better numbers.

But has anything changed in Miami? This is not Tony Romo who lost T.O., or Jay Cutler who is in a whole new system with a bunch of "who is that?" WRs.

Chad Pennington is defined as: good decision maker, accurate, weak arm, injury prone. In a good O line, run first offense he will hold the ball less and be in less compromising situations to get sacked/injured. I think he fits well in the Miami environment (I am not a fins fan nor penny fan). It just baffles me to see Chad listed in a group with Tavaris Jackson, Joe Flacco, etc.
nicksti
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mattb47 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:33 pm

I do agree that Pennington is a step above the weaker of the fantasy QBs like the Flaccos and such...he's a solid backup I think for those who want to wait on their backup QB if they drafted one of the "elite" guys.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 2ksports » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:37 am

2ksports wrote:I'm casting my sleeper vote for Trent Edwards. I think he'll be a tier2 QB this year, and he's being drafted as a tier 4 or 5.

Trent Edwards probably won't be a sleeper anymore by end of preseason. 10/10 no huddle offense = scary. He will be throwing... alot.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mattb47 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 am

2ksports wrote:
2ksports wrote:I'm casting my sleeper vote for Trent Edwards. I think he'll be a tier2 QB this year, and he's being drafted as a tier 4 or 5.

Trent Edwards probably won't be a sleeper anymore by end of preseason. 10/10 no huddle offense = scary. He will be throwing... alot.

I've been grabbing him as a backup in a lot of drafts lately.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Crazed98 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:35 am

3653 yds - 9th
19 tds - 11th
7 ints

Am I missing something?

I was looking at the stats yesterday wondering the same thing. His stats put him as a solid back up on any team. I think it's just the high possibility of one bad sack ending his season. I'll be looking to pick him up off FA if one of my QBs go down.
Crazed98
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk