PPR Drafting Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

PPR Drafting Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

PPR Drafting Strategy

Postby spodog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:16 pm

One of my main redraft leagues is switching from non PPR to PPR this year. (each rec = 0.5 pts)

So I can go crunch the numbers and come up with a modified ranking to take into account the PPR scoring and all, but here is my question to those of you that have lived through non PPR to PPR transitions in redraft leagues:

What type of changes did you see in owner's drafting strategies the 1st year you switched?

Did guys tend to swing too far and over-value receivers like Wes Welker?

Did guys who would have normally went RB-RB-RB-WR switch around and go WR-WR-RB-WR in the 1st 4 rounds?

any stories?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: PPR Drafting Strategy

Postby LeBron James » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:23 pm

I am in a 16 league .5 ppr league, and for the most part, guys still draft mostly RBs in the first round or 2. The past 2 years, only about 2-3 WRs were taken in the first round.

This year I have a late pick, maybe 14-16, and I'm thinking of taking 2 WRs because most of the good RBs will have been taken by then. Just a new strategy I want to try out. Plus in today's world it's mostly RBBC, top notch WRs are worth more in my opinion. In a few years, there could be a shift into drafting more WRs in the first round maybe.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby spodog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:29 pm

So Lebron won't talk to the media, but he'll offer me his opinion on PPR drafting. I feel honored!
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tejones8 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:37 pm

I'm under the belief that most owners actually overdraft WRs in PPR league. I think this will be especially true for your league as it's the first year implementing the PPR. RBs are still the key, especially those who are involved in the passing game.
Tejones8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Some days you're the pigeon. Other days you're the statue.

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Tejones8 wrote:I'm under the belief that most owners actually overdraft WRs in PPR league. I think this will be especially true for your league as it's the first year implementing the PPR. RBs are still the key, especially those who are involved in the passing game.

That's what I would anticipate happening too...my best guess is that more WRs will go much earlier and so you can probably get away with some very good pass catching RBs if you pay attention well. Pass catching RBs are the ones that benefit the most from a PPR league...every WR catches passes (albeit some more than others) but the very good pass catchers out of the backfield are few and far between.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tejones8 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Tejones8 wrote:I'm under the belief that most owners actually overdraft WRs in PPR league. I think this will be especially true for your league as it's the first year implementing the PPR. RBs are still the key, especially those who are involved in the passing game.

That's what I would anticipate happening too...my best guess is that more WRs will go much earlier and so you can probably get away with some very good pass catching RBs if you pay attention well. Pass catching RBs are the ones that benefit the most from a PPR league...every WR catches passes (albeit some more than others) but the very good pass catchers out of the backfield are few and far between.

Exactly. ;-D
Tejones8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Some days you're the pigeon. Other days you're the statue.

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:05 am

PPR SHOULD only significantly impact drafting tendencies when you add a full point and start at least 3 WRs. That' when you see cumulative WR value start to trump RB value. At .5 PPR, I don't think that type of production merits drafting WRs earlier than you normally would. A half point PPR isn't going to benefit your team all that much even starting a lot of WRs, if anything I think you might slightly change around your WR rankings, but not your overall draft strategy.

Of course in any draft you have to adjust to the flow to ensure that you don't get caught on the wrong end of a run. Complete teams win championships, and an early value that doesn't help your starting lineup often times isn't a value at all.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LeBron James » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Kensat30 wrote:PPR SHOULD only significantly impact drafting tendencies when you add a full point and start at least 3 WRs. That' when you see cumulative WR value start to trump RB value. At .5 PPR, I don't think that type of production merits drafting WRs earlier than you normally would. A half point PPR isn't going to benefit your team all that much even starting a lot of WRs, if anything I think you might slightly change around your WR rankings, but not your overall draft strategy.

Of course in any draft you have to adjust to the flow to ensure that you don't get caught on the wrong end of a run. Complete teams win championships, and an early value that doesn't help your starting lineup often times isn't a value at all.

Yeah, in my league I have an option of starting 2 RBs, 2 WRs, or 1 RB and 3 WRs. That's why I might try a new strategy this year.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby LeBron James » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 pm

spodog wrote:So Lebron won't talk to the media, but he'll offer me his opinion on PPR drafting. I feel honored!

Lol, no problem man. I will shake your hand, but not Dwight Howard's. :~(
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Return to Football Talk