Yahoo Suing NFLPA Over Fantasy Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo Suing NFLPA Over Fantasy Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo Suing NFLPA Over Fantasy Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:13 am

I was going to add this to the end of the "Yahoo is up" thread, but I think this deserves it's own thread. :-?

start of article wrote:MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Yahoo Inc. has sued the NFL Players Association to try to ensure it won't be sued for using player statistics, photos and other data for its popular online fantasy football game.

The lawsuit filed Monday in federal court in Minneapolis alleges that a licensing arm of the players union has threatened to sue if Yahoo does not pay it royalties for the use of publicly available player data....

Rest of article here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/f ... index.html

;-D

Based on past cases, it looks like this won't go anywhere....but it's still pretty interesting. :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo Suing NFLPA Over Fantasy Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:51 am

Legally I am not sure where Yahoo is going with this. They are asking the court to say what they are doing is legal. To me that amounts to an advisory opinion from the court, which they don't do. You don't sue for someone to say that what you are doing is legal, it is the other way around. There must be more to it than the article states because as is they don't have a remedy.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 pm

so they're suing to stop the nflpa from suing?? :-?

EDIT:
Our legal system ladies and gentlement.

Yahoo doesn't have much of a case I think. Sure anybody can compile and publish the stats just by watching the games, but the difference is, yahoo makes money off it...stat tracker and ads placed on their website featuring stats. I think they'll lose this one.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:20 am

Munboy wrote:so they're suing to stop the nflpa from suing?? :-?

EDIT:
Our legal system ladies and gentlement.

Yahoo doesn't have much of a case I think. Sure anybody can compile and publish the stats just by watching the games, but the difference is, yahoo makes money off it...stat tracker and ads placed on their website featuring stats. I think they'll lose this one.

Isn't that what gambling does? With all the SB betts on amount of TDs, INTs, coin flip etc? Vegas has to make a bit off that...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:58 am

It's already been to court and the players lost...

From Sun Sentinel..

Concerned about threats that it would be sued, Yahoo Inc., became the second major fantasy sports provider to sue the NFL Players union over use of players' names and statistics in its fantasy football games.

The suit filed in federal court in Minneapolis on Monday is similar to one filed by CBS Interactive on behalf of Fort Lauderdale-based CBSSports.com last year. A federal judge ruled in CBS’ favor on April 28, saying the players’ names and stats are protected by the First Amendment.

That ruling followed an earlier federal appeals court decision that said Major League Baseball players’ names and stats are in the public domain. Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear that case.

Yahoo will win, already have, just going to cost them a bit to hacve the official say so.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 am

bungle613 wrote:Yahoo will win, already have, just going to cost them a bit to hacve the official say so.

Maybe they can charge more for their free site ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Return to Football Talk