2009 NFC North and East team analysis - COMPLETE - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2009 NFC North and East team analysis - COMPLETE

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2009 team by team fantasy analysis - Dallas Cowboys added

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Azrael wrote:Cowboys up

Everything was good for the most part, agreed with almost all the analysis, but there is a serious omission leaving off Martellus Bennett considering he's going to be an extremely big part of the offense.

Dallas is using 2 TE sets almost as a base formation in 09 and Marty B excells in run blocking and has really turned the corner as far as running routes and catching the football...Their have been alot of TE screens drawn up specifically for him, he's lined up literally all over the place on offense and even split out wide as a WR opposite Roy quite a bit.

He's a tremendous talent, the entire organization knows it, and he'll produce somewhere around 600 yards and 6 TD's...Yes I know Witten is still there and he's still the #1 option, but he did produce 300+ yards and 4 TD's last year so I don't see why projecting a small increase would be crazy especially when you consider how much the staff is raving about him and how much of a physical specimen he really is.

I just feel like he should be included in any team write-ups, specifically in the TE write up section...He'll be a huge part of the offense and he's really going to break out, people have been overlooking him due to Witten but with the question marks at the #2 WR position Bennett will be a key cog in this offense being effecient in 09.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:41 am

Good call LS2. I'll add something on Bennett. I defer to your analysis being right there in the thick of it in the Great State 'o Texas. I've googled to find some articles that state as much as well. Unless Bennett just flat out blows up in the pre-season, he'll be easily had in the last round of almost any standard sized league draft. Would I be amiss in saying that this would be the first team to have such a dynamic TE duo? Could the Cowboys produce 2 starting fantasy TE's?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:27 am

Azrael wrote:Good call LS2. I'll add something on Bennett. I defer to your analysis being right there in the thick of it in the Great State 'o Texas. I've googled to find some articles that state as much as well. Unless Bennett just flat out blows up in the pre-season, he'll be easily had in the last round of almost any standard sized league draft. Would I be amiss in saying that this would be the first team to have such a dynamic TE duo? Could the Cowboys produce 2 starting fantasy TE's?

I think there is going to be a new precedent for that, it's not rare which is why people aren't giving Bennett any love even in redraft leagues. Now I don't know if Martellus will be good enough to start weekly, more so then a bye week filler, but not many TE's produce 6-7 TD's and that will come with value itself.

I'm expecting him to produce a season like Tony Scheffler this season, except reaching the end zone more, he'll but streaky but definately have some big games. In only his rookie season he scored 4 TD's on 20 receptions, Witten being the #1 option on every play scored 4 TD's on 81 receptions and many more looks, Bennett is developing into one of the better red zone weapons the team has so I expect him to produce more then Witten in that column.

I like what you added in though, but if his adp stays close to what it is I'm gonna grab him as my #2 TE in all my redraft leagues and be a top 15 TE in fantasy.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fantasizing » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:41 am

I'm not touching any of the Dallas players with a 10 foot pole.

Roy Williams had single coverage all last year with TO opposite him and did absolutely NOTHING.
How on earth is he supposed to produce now with all the coverage his way?

And I don't buy the argument that it takes some time for a WR to adjust to his new team and system. Williams
has been in this league for several years now, he knows how to play football, is a physical specimen, and he and Romo
should have been able to capitalize on some one on one matchups down the field. Maybe he was hurt, who knows, but
that complete lack of productivity scares me away from Dallas this season.

Dallas' offence struggled last season even with TO in the lineup, and now I expect them to struggle immensely.
And I think it will have to be a RBBC to have any success whatsoever in the ground game, which diminishes Barber's value considerably.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:12 pm

fantasizing wrote:And I think it will have to be a RBBC to have any success whatsoever in the ground game, which diminishes Barber's value considerably.

Just like in 2006 when he scored 16 TD's? Or 2007 when he scored 12? He's always been valuable in a RBBC his entire career, how could you come to the conclusion that all of a sudden if there is a RBBC this year his value is diminished all of a sudden? He'll still get 1000 total yards, 10+ TD's, and 30+ catches, his value has been around there and I don't think getting more backs is going to diminish anything...Being in a committee is nothing new for him.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kareighuis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:27 pm

fantasizing wrote:I'm not touching any of the Dallas players with a 10 foot pole.

Roy Williams had single coverage all last year with TO opposite him and did absolutely NOTHING. How on earth is he supposed to produce now with all the coverage his way?

And I don't buy the argument that it takes some time for a WR to adjust to his new team and system. Williams has been in this league for several years now, he knows how to play football, is a physical specimen, and he and Romo should have been able to capitalize on some one on one matchups down the field. Maybe he was hurt, who knows, but that complete lack of productivity scares me away from Dallas this season.

Dallas' offence struggled last season even with TO in the lineup, and now I expect them to struggle immensely. And I think it will have to be a RBBC to have any success whatsoever in the ground game, which diminishes Barber's value considerably.

I think Roy Williams is nothing. He's no better than an NFL WR3. His biggest problem is his attitude- he doesn't apparently put in the work. A player with his physical attributes and number of years in the NFL should have shown consistent results, rather than tantalizing glimpses. Azrael is right- in essence, Dallas' top 3 WRs have all been about hype, not production.

I anticipate Dallas will try to win using the offense they've tried recent years. But, those WRs won't win you games and likely won't even keep you in them. Instead, they'll have to rely on their strengths- a 3-headed RB group with complimentary skills and 2 top-tier pass-catching TEs. They could line Martellus up opposite Roy, 2 RBs in the backfield all the time, Felix Jones and Marion Barber taking screens or serving as a fail-safe option. Hell, I'd probably line Bennet tight to the line, have Jones setting up beside Romo- and then screen or flare Jones behind the stronger side of the line and Bennett's superior run-blocking. In goalline/late-game situations, you could line Choice and Barber in the "I" with Barber the dot. In this formation, you could do 3 things:
a) Choice plow into the line as the ball-carrier;
b) Choice plow into the line as Barber's fullback;
c) swing a pass to Barber out of the backfield.
That's not even mentioning what options would be out there with the WRs or TEs.

Either Dallas' offense will shift to the RBs and TEs, where their strengths lay, or this season will be horrible for the 'Boys. Evolve or suffer.
Last edited by Kareighuis on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kareighuis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:28 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
fantasizing wrote:And I think it will have to be a RBBC to have any success whatsoever in the ground game, which diminishes Barber's value considerably.

Just like in 2006 when he scored 16 TD's? Or 2007 when he scored 12? He's always been valuable in a RBBC his entire career, how could you come to the conclusion that all of a sudden if there is a RBBC this year his value is diminished all of a sudden? He'll still get 1000 total yards, 10+ TD's, and 30+ catches, his value has been around there and I don't think getting more backs is going to diminish anything...Being in a committee is nothing new for him.

In think the difference is perceived and actual value. Going into last year, people bumped Barber up their boards as the sole RB. They forget how well he produced in an RBC.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:22 pm

Azrael wrote:
Dallas Cowboys

Head Coach: Wade Philips (3rd year as Cowboys HC)
Offensive Coordinator: Jason Garrett (3rd year as Cowboys OC)
Defensive Coordinator: Vacant Currently
Projected Offensive Line: Adams(T), Procter (G), Gurode (C), Colombo (G), Davis(T)
QB: Tony Romo
RB: Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice
WR: Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Sam Hurd, Isaiah Stanback
TE: Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett

Offensive Philosophy
Under Garrett’s direction the Cowboys have slipped from a nearly 50/50 split in run pass play calls to 58% in favor of the pass. With a discovered 3 headed rushing attack and exodus of TO, expect the run calls to jump a little but shouldn’t get anywhere near “run oriented”. The passing side of the ball should still be plenty effective as the cast of characters remains pretty much the same.

Offensive Line
The Cowboys line is mainly intact and they have some depth though not great in talent. Gurode, Colombo, and Davis are all pretty solid players. Flozell Adams used to be a stalwart but his age and diminishing skills are catching up with him. Corey Procter is the weakest link in the line. They largely do a good job and are group that would love to road grade the opponent in the run game as much as possible. They’ve never been great from a yards per carry stand point but the job gets done to produce reputable fantasy backs. I’d expect more of the same this year.

Quarterback
Tony Romo has been an elite fantasy QB for the past 2 years now. Terrell Owens leaving should not diminish his value a whole lot since Roy Williams will take his place. Now Williams is not the talent that Owens is but he’s a borderline NFL WR1. An increased role for Martellus Bennett should add another dynamic to the offense for Romo. Owens departure has seen Romo slip a bit in mocks as far as the 7th QB taken, which is allowing the selection of Tony to build some value. Romo would have been a top 3 QB again last year had it not been for injury. I would draft him with much confidence as a top end QB1.

Running Back
The Cowboys return a trio of backs that each show brilliance in their own way. The logical thought is the Barber will go back to his 3rd down and closer type role he was in when Julius Jones was the lead back. He is still being drafted as a solid No. 2 back. In totality his numbers usually get to that point but in that role he is sometimes inconsistent game to game, giving RB1 numbers on occasion and dropping duds as well. In 2006, a third of his games were duds, in 2007 he scored 6 points or less in 6 games. To draft him as a No. 2 back is a gamble considering the role he figures to be in; this does not lend for much upside with the Cowboys having 2 other players who can carry the mail between the 20’s for three quarters. He’s not a bad flex player but he’s not getting to that point. A player like a Pierre Thomas figures to be in a similar role on a very good offense and is going rounds later.
Felix Jones and Tashard Choice’s roles in the offense have really yet to be defined and so they are selected as such. Jones is an extremely explosive and dangerous player as he proved last year averaging a ridiculous 9ypc in limited touches (30), while cashing in 3 of them for scores. Exactly how he will be used is unknown but one thing almost for certain is that it will be more than last year. He’s too good to only touch the ball 5 times per game. I think the number could be closer to 10. I think he’s a great player to have on the bench to use in a pinch. Think low RB3 with potential for more, depending on how his role emerges.
At this point Choice is nearly undraftable in normal size leagues just because of the nominal role he will be left with. Good talent just probably won’t see more than 5 touches a game.

Wide Receivers
Roy Williams fills in the void left by Terrell Owens. I think Williams draft stock is a mix between the wash of a season he had last year and the potential granted to him by fact of playing for the Cowboys. Let’s think about this for a minute, the man did catch 8, 8, and 7 touchdowns in his first 3 years with THE LIONS, a far inferior offensive team and had an excellent year in 2006. Williams has talent and is now in a much better situation with a full offseason under his belt. His problem has been the ability to stay healthy. He hasn’t played a full season but once in his 5 years. He’s a solid WR2 with potential for more. I’ll take it.
Patrick Crayton has been the WR2 and marked as a sleeper for the last 3 years but the man has done nothing but sleep and hasn’t been more than a WR3 in any of the years. If for some reason his position is eclipsed by say Miles Austin then perhaps we’ll revisit but it’s not worth exploring fruitless potential of the past since nothing has really changed.

Tight End
Witten is an obvious favorite to be the first TE off the board. Considering it’s likely that he could have his best year being the most familiar face to Romo, he’s not being had for bad value from what I’ve seen. I would probably expect a renaissance of 2007 out of him. It’s totally up to you whether you like a top TE or like to have value at TE on your team. He is not overpriced.
Martellus Bennett had meager stats for fantasy purposes in his rookie year. Word out of Cowboys camp is his role is increasing this year. The Cowboys are featuring 2 TE sets more often and sliding him around in passing formations to take advantage of Bennett's talents. WItten is still the No. 1 option in Dallas. It is not advisable to draft Bennett as a starting TE but at the price (he's not even being drafted in 8 team leagues), he's worth a last round pickup to sit and keep an eye on for a few weeks of the season.

Defense
Dallas had a respectable fantasy defense last year. They led the league in sacks. They weren’t extremely adept at causing turnovers especially in the secondary with interceptions, which has been viewed as a weak point for years. A number of defensive contributors were let go in one form or another, namely Anthony Henry, Roy Williams, Zach Thomas, Greg Ellis, and Chris Canty. Igor Olshansky was signed to fill Canty’s spot. Mike Jenkins will likely fill the role of Henry. The Cowboys had a defensive focused draft, which was viewed to have vastly improved the “back end” of their roster, and will likely have camp battles to fill the ILB and OLB spots vacated by Thomas and Ellis. The defensive coordinator was fired but Wade Philips pretty much ran the defensive show. I would consider the Dallas D as a sleeper type, with the shedding of the older veterans and the injection of young talent. Though they lost many “name players”, the biggest loss is probably Canty, which hopefully for the Cowboys Olshansky can fill.

Just a couple of notes... you forgot about LG Kyle Kosier, who will be starting instead of Proctor assuming he's healthy. Also... Leonard Davis is the RG and Colombo's the RT. Good job! ;-D
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Re: 2009 team by team fantasy analysis - New York Giants added

Postby Azrael » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:15 am

Taken care of ;-D

Giants added.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero