My first Dynasty League - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

My first Dynasty League

Moderator: Football Moderators

My first Dynasty League

Postby OuTrAgE » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:30 pm

I'm starting up a Dynasty League this year, and it will be the first time I've ever been in one. I should probably have some kind of experience before I commish one, but I feel I know enough about it for it to be successful. I also plan to do a lot of research to make it as fun as possible.

Anyway, I had a quick question. As this is the first year, this will be the only true draft. Every year after this will just be the rookie/free agent draft. I had an idea to not include this year's rookies in the draft. Then, about week 8 or so, having the rookie draft. Draft order would be determined by standings throughout those first 8 games. Is this something that's been done before? Does it sound like a good idea? Comments/criticism appreciated.
OuTrAgE
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My first Dynasty League

Postby spodog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't like this. Why do a draft in the middle of the season? What happens to the value that the '09 rookies create with their production in Weeks 1-7 of this year's regular season relative to your league? It just goes up in smoke?

If you want to do something different with the rookies, then you could hold a 1st year veteran draft and 1st year rookie draft seperately, with only the incoming NFL rookie class in the 2nd draft. Then you could try and model your draft rules after what you plan to do in subsequent years as much as possible given it's your 1st year, but I wouldn't wait until Week 8.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:05 am

Yea, I don't like it either...rookie drafts are meant to be done somewhat "in the dark" to where it's like a true rookie draft and you don't know completely what you're going to get with the guys you choose.

If you want a separate rookie draft then I would probably recommend doing that but do it before the regular season just like you'll be doing the veteran draft. One option though is to reverse the order for the veteran draft to do the rookie draft.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bmor8811 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:38 am

Yea, sorry to continue the negative sentiment man, but I just can't see any way to spin this into a good idea. Never liked a mid-season draft of any kind... sooo yea. Don't get too clever ;-D
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby OuTrAgE » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks for the help guys. I might consider having the rookie draft right after the normal draft.
OuTrAgE
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby OuTrAgE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:02 pm

New question.

We're going with 10 starting positions (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D). What would be an ideal bench? I currently have it set up as 10 with 2 IR. Is that good/normal?
OuTrAgE
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby iamgregg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:39 pm

OuTrAgE wrote:New question.

We're going with 10 starting positions (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 D). What would be an ideal bench? I currently have it set up as 10 with 2 IR. Is that good/normal?

I think 20 is the absolute minimum, however even that is still a little too constrained for a dynasty league. I prefer at least 24, as then you start to be able to stash the long term/long shot prospects that you may otherwise have to drop to add a bye week fill in.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OuTrAgE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:42 pm

I sort of want to add more, but I thought 10 might already be a lot. Sounds like making them bigger shouldn't be a problem. Do you prefer using a taxi squad?
OuTrAgE
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby rays6584 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 am

Mod Edit: Spam
rays6584
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby J Per » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Hold on, let me dust the cobwebs off of this post.

Like Outrage, I am also starting my first Dynasty League. I don't know how it's taken me this long to get involved in something so awesome. Anyway, I have a couple of questions...

What are normal numbers for the amount of Taxi Squad and IR players? It seems like the leagues on here use 3-5 for both, would you say this is correct? I know it's whatever we choose, but if it's stupid to only have one of each I'd like to know.

Secondly, I just want to clarify how the off-season works:

Season ends.
Roster spots increase.
Cut players.
Hold draft with recently cut players and rookies.
Roster spots decrease.
Season begins.

^Does this look right/make sense?

Thanks a ton guys.
J Per
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Beginner's Forum