Reasonable bonus scoring system? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Reasonable bonus scoring system?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reasonable bonus scoring system?

Postby Spaceman.Spiff » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Our league wants to implement bonus scoring such as 2.5 points for a 300+ passing yard game, 100+ rushing yard game, etc. What's a reasonable system for that? Someone proposed 2.5 points for a 300+ passing game, 100+ rushing or receiving game and 5 more points for a 400+ passing game, 200+ rushing or receiving games. So if Slaton rushes for 200+ yards in a game he would get 7.5 points added to his normal sum. Is that too much? Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Help appreciated.
Spaceman.Spiff
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reasonable bonus scoring system?

Postby tmoney26 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:31 pm

It really depends on how the rest of your scoring system is. If you score 1 point per 10 yds rush/rec I would say that 2.5 is fairly reasonable. I've seen higher but it's kind of tough without seeing the rest of the scoring.
tmoney26
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby iamgregg » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:11 am

I, personally, am not a fan of bonus scoring systems such as this as they're simply way too arbitrary. Why should a 200 yard game be worth 5 more points than a 199 yard game? Is that 1 yard really worth 5 points? That's the problem with milestone bonuses.

I feel a better way is too use a sliding scale when scoring yards. For example, say you score 1 point for every 10 rushing yards. When the player gets to 100, they start scoring at 1 point for every 8 yards. When they reach 200, 1/5. Used with fractional scoring, I feel it's a better bonus system than arbitrary milestones. This depends on the fantasy site you use, I know this is possible on Flea Flicker and MFL but can't say for ESPN, Yahoo etc.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:28 am

Spaceman.Spiff wrote:Our league wants to implement bonus scoring such as 2.5 points for a 300+ passing yard game, 100+ rushing yard game, etc. What's a reasonable system for that? Someone proposed 2.5 points for a 300+ passing game, 100+ rushing or receiving game and 5 more points for a 400+ passing game, 200+ rushing or receiving games. So if Slaton rushes for 200+ yards in a game he would get 7.5 points added to his normal sum. Is that too much? Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Help appreciated.

Milestone (bonus) scoring is very fashionable these days but 2.5 points and 5 points is QUITE unreasonable! 1 point is the more accepted standard: 1 point per 300 yard passing game, 1 point per 100 yard rushing game, and 1 point per 100 yard receiving game. I also see less of a need for a second milestone.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:06 pm

The Lung wrote:
Spaceman.Spiff wrote:Our league wants to implement bonus scoring such as 2.5 points for a 300+ passing yard game, 100+ rushing yard game, etc. What's a reasonable system for that? Someone proposed 2.5 points for a 300+ passing game, 100+ rushing or receiving game and 5 more points for a 400+ passing game, 200+ rushing or receiving games. So if Slaton rushes for 200+ yards in a game he would get 7.5 points added to his normal sum. Is that too much? Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Help appreciated.

Milestone (bonus) scoring is very fashionable these days but 2.5 points and 5 points is QUITE unreasonable! 1 point is the more accepted standard: 1 point per 300 yard passing game, 1 point per 100 yard rushing game, and 1 point per 100 yard receiving game. I also see less of a need for a second milestone.

I agree with Lung. I've rarely seen milestone bonuses worth more than 1 point. And if you really want to use the 2nd milestone...again I would just go with 1 point. But this is just our opinions. I've always said that whatever the league wants to do...is what you should do. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby CommishFFCL » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 pm

I give a 3pt bonus for a 300 yd game (pass), 100 yd game (rush/rec) and 3pt bonus for a rec TD that went over 60yds or over a 51yds rush. The longer play bonuses really get high. But, there's also (-) 3 points for INT or Fumbles.
The argument might be that 3 pts. is too much for a 300 yd game. but more often than not, a QB passes for 300 yds and 1 or NO TDs. Unless it's a Peyton, Warner or Brees. This balances out the QB position more. As for the bonus for RB/WRs, it's usually a bottom end team that has the 2 rec. 62yd 1TD player. And the 60yd TD is what made that team competitive.
That's the toughest part of being a commish. Finding ways to keep the crappy teams competitive so you're not looking to fill that team each year.
The FFCL, by far the best FF League there is.
CommishFFCL
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby The Lung » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 pm

I don't understand why people think that bonuses keep the crappy teams competitive. In actuality, they just reward the better players (and the fantasy teams which own those better players) even more.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:07 pm

The Lung wrote:I don't understand why people think that bonuses keep the crappy teams competitive. In actuality, they just reward the better players (and the fantasy teams which own those better players) even more.

Agreed. ;-D :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Return to Commissioner's Corner