Flex Spots - Fantasy Football Poison - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

Flex Spots - Fantasy Football Poison

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

Re: Flex Spots - Fantasy Football Poison

Postby madaslives911 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:13 pm

daullaz wrote:
The Lung wrote:
Flex Spots Rarely Flex: In most cases, a flex spot will either be a RB/WR or sometimes a WR/TE. Now think about this logically. If you have a second tier starting running back and a first tier 2nd or 3rd option receiver; who are you going to start 90% of the time? If you picked the WR, you’re officially an idiot. Most people with any sense pick the RB and with good reason.

I guess that I and most everyone else I play with are officially idiots then. Image

I'm in several 1 point-per-reception leagues where we can start 4 WRs and 2 RBs, or 3 WRs and 3 RBs. I would say that not a majority of time, but quite often, managers in these leagues start a 4th WR instead of a 3rd RB. In a PPR league, when you look at the math, it just pays off to start that 4th WR, especially if he is a PPR dynamo like Wes Welker, Derrick Mason, Hines Ward, etc. And these are not Yahoo public leagues with newbies - these are dynasty leagues comprised of hard core & expert fantasy football managers who have been playing fantasy football for over a decade.

I'm not sure I agree with many of the other points made either. Roster vultures and killing the waiver wire are directly proportional to bench size. A league that has 10 bench spots vs. 6 bench spots has a much bigger effect on what you're talking about. One flex spot hardly makes a difference.

Thanks for the article and if you've got one thing, it's conviction. But I just don't agree with the premise of the article of flex spots as poison. And I also don't think referring to your readers and fellow fantasy football enthusiasts as "idiots" is really necessary. :-t

I was hoping that this article would garner a potentially well-thought out rebuttal, which is what this post is shading towards. Care to write a retort for the front page?

Oh No please! That would just further aggravate the issue. I believe most of the members/readers would appreciate it if you would care to edit, specifically REMOVE that insulting portion of the article. Thanks.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:23 pm

A rebuttal of the idea that you have to use RBs in a flex slot wouldn't be a good idea? I think it would be great, as enough people have already jumped up to say that they've used WRs in their flex spots frequently (as I have at times). Nothing wrong with disagreement, especially if it can spark a debate that makes everyone a little smarter in the end. ;-D

pirater4u wrote:You all have valid points and I admit I didn't take Dynasty and Hardcore Keeper leagues into account. My thoughts were more about leagues that were just starting up and trying to gain momentum. It was short-sighted. My bad. I will try and be more specific. Appreciate the constructive criticism.

Just hope you don't take my generalities too personally.

I enjoy the conversation, however, and invite you to keep commenting.... warts and all!

After the comments, pirater4u now has a better grasp on how to develop the article the next time around, and I'm sure it's going to help make him a better writer.

I removed the "idiot" reference as well as the last paragraph of the piece, which falls in the same vein as the other offensive word.

Now, who wants to get cracking on the rebuttal: Flex Spots -- The Benefit of WRs? :-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFanNJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:54 pm

I personnaly dont like flex spots or "cute" scoring of any type.
I prefer...
PPR
25 yrds a point for QB's
-2 per INT.
10 yrds a point for WR/RB/TE
6 point TD's
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K and IDP
This the only way to go for me although I do also play leagues where team D is used
GiantsFanNJ
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby pirater4u » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 am

Wait a minute... I'm all for constructive criticism against the article, which is exactly what was taking place on the message board....but straight up censorship? On an OPINION piece? ON THE INTERNET?

Wow... I'm thoroughly disappointed.
"Now...I have...a machine gun...Ho...Ho...Ho." - Hans Gruber
pirater4u
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer

Postby dgan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:19 am

pirater4u wrote:Wait a minute... I'm all for constructive criticism against the article, which is exactly what was taking place on the message board....but straight up censorship? On an OPINION piece? ON THE INTERNET?

Wow... I'm thoroughly disappointed.

I have to agree that if being called an idiot offends you, fantasy football is probably not the hobby of choice. That said, the Cafe runs a ship respectful to ALL its members, and reserves the right to control the content of its site. You can buy your own domain and call as many people idiots as you want without fear of censorship.

As far as the article itself, I think you hit on something important - don't play in a league with a format you don't enjoy. I think it is really that simple. I personally enjoy the extra intrigue and strategy that comes with a flex position. And it doesn't mess with the roster space because we eliminated the 3rd WR. Also, we have "light" QB scoring, so we allow a QB in the flex as well. Now we don't have people waiting until the draft is over and picking up their starting QB off the waiver wire.

That's the great thing about fantasy football - you can make the rules any way you want...as long as you can get enough people to play with those rules. I played no flex forever and always got sick of injuries ruining a good team's chances because they simply couldn't fill a roster spot with a viable player. We experimented with IR (I would NOT recommend that) but found a flex spot gave owners the option of putting in the best player they had regardless of position.

Think of the flex as an NFL team that has a string of injuries at WR but has a good second TE and a good receiving RB. They may run a lot more power formations and utilize the personnel they have. Same with flex.

But if you don't like it, you don't have to play it. I just wouldn't be so harsh on those that do. ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:43 am

If I'm going to post something in the Cafe forums like "Pittsburgh was the #1 ranked defense last year, draft them in the 4th round!" then I probably wouldn't be offended by being called an idiot.

However, this was the labeling of managers who do not start a third RB in a flex position as "idiots." This claim was NOT supported by any statistics, and may be egregiously wrong in a PPR league where it actually pays to start a WR or elite TE in the flex spot. To make this accusation in an officially published Cafe article is unacceptable and is where the line should be drawn.

My $.02
-Lung
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby pirater4u » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:47 am

I understand about the concept of "Respect all members of the board" I truly do. I did not blatantly come out and say "Hey Jeff... you like flex spots? You're an idiot" I was making a generality. I was throwing my opinion out there. Short-sighted? Yes. I already mentioned I shouldn't have grouped Dynasty and Keeper leagues in that regard. A little crude? That's your OPINION. As much as it was mine. I personally think no, it wasn't crude.

And the argument of - Buy a domain name then you can call everyone idiots... I have no retort. You're correct. It's lame, but correct... again... my opinion.

Honestly... I don't care as much about the word "Idiot" as I do the last paragraph. That was my favorite part... and at least one person liked it... The very first guy who commented on this forum.

Whatever, I'm done arguing. I'm just disappointed in what I feel is an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction and I'll leave it at that.

Bottom Line: At the very top of the article it's labeled "Opinion" for a reason.
pirater4u
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:00 am

pirater4u wrote:Whatever, I'm done arguing. I'm just disappointed in what I feel is an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction and I'll leave it at that.

I think a PM to daullaz would do the trick
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby pirater4u » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 am

dream_017 wrote:
pirater4u wrote:Whatever, I'm done arguing. I'm just disappointed in what I feel is an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction and I'll leave it at that.

I think a PM to daullaz would do the trick

No.. it's not necessary. I appreciate the constructive criticism of this thread. I also now have a better understanding of my audience. These are things that make a person a better writer.

Thank you for allowing people to hone their craft.
pirater4u
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Cafe Writer

Postby mattUTD20 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 am

Honestly I think you guys are taking this entirely too personally. Like it has been mentioned before it is clearly marked as an opinion piece and the guy even acknowledges he is a jerk and crazy person. He acknowledged he was shortsighted on certain league types. I really don't agree with editing an article after it gets published, regardless of how the community at large feels about it. Deleting an entire paragraph just doesn't sit well. I think the bigger issue here is that some are worried that the value of the Cafe is hurt by an article like this. If this is something that everyone is worried about, and rightfully so, then there should be perhaps a better editing and review process in place.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Article Discussions