Cleveland & Cincy RB situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Cleveland & Cincy RB situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cleveland & Cincy RB situation

Postby MaximeGravel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:51 pm

I know Jamal Lewis is there, but he's old for a RB ...

Do the browns have any future plan at this position ?

I have James Davis in my deep dynasty league and I think he's a great sleeper, but his he gonna be the starter soon ? his he the first in line if lewis gets injured ? I know Jerome Harrison is supposed to be the front runner but I don't think he have what it takes to be a starter

and I am asking myself the same question about the CIN sitation with Benson & Bernard scott ?

what do you think about that ?
I don't know alot about those 2 teams, so if someone could help me
Last edited by MaximeGravel on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaximeGravel
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 17
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cleveland RB situation

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Word is Jerome Harrison is supposed to have a bigger role this year...I think Davis is a real longshot right now to be the starters anytime soon so I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Harrison has looked good when given the opportunities but right now it looks like it'll be Lewis as the starter and splitting the time some with Harrison.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cleveland RB situation

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Jamal Lewis has been done for 2+ years now and the team just keeps on lining him up out there. If Cleveland wants to win, they need to make a change. They didn't last year and we all saw how that turned out.

Jerome Harrison seems to have fallen in that trap of being labeled a situational player for whatever reason. The guy has looked great when running the ball, but he has been extremely inconsistent due to that label they have put on him. This guy never got his chance to really show what he's got, just like Jerious Norwood in Atlanta. But at the same time, Harrison hasn't even gotten the chance to show what he has a true change of pace runner. The guy has less than 100 carries in his three years in the league and even though he's averaged well over 5 yards per carry, they don't give him more than 1 or 2 carries a game here and there. It's mind boggling how they can field complete and utter trash out there in Jamal Lewis and leave this guy on the bench, but that's the way it's been for two years running now. It's come to the point where you tend to think that if someone(Harrison) has been in the same situation with a below average player ahead of him all this time, that he will never get that chance on that team. He's been overlooked for so long now that they have made themselves believe that he doesn't have what it takes despite never having given the guy the chance to prove it.

I think that's where you see the optimism behind a guy like James Davis. This guy is one of ten most talent rookie RBs coming into the league this year and he has enough ability to perform better than guy like Jamal Lewis right out out of the gate. Jamal Lewis still sucks and if someone gets a chance to finally put this guy out to pasture, James Davis could do it. Everything we know about the current situation is out the door with the new regime in town, and there may be an opportunity for fresh blood to come in. That type of thinking puts even more weight behind a guy like James Davis getting his chance because that is a guy the new regime brought in. Watch news closely to see if Harrison will actually get his crack, but I would wager that he once again will not get his chance.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cleveland RB situation

Postby MaximeGravel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:07 pm

wow thanks great posts !

now does someone have a similar opinion for the cincinatti situation ?

I really don't trust benson talent and there is some other good RB on the team !
MaximeGravel
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 17
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cleveland RB situation

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 pm

MaximeGravel wrote:wow thanks great posts !

now does someone have a similar opinion for the cincinatti situation ?

I really don't trust benson talent and there is some other good RB on the team !



This thread is starting to turn into a 'Cincy backfield outlook' so you could check that out, I don't want to bring up alot of the same points.


For Cleveland I look and see Lewis at the end of his ropes, so Harrison who has been getting hype lately(and deservedly so because he's played well) will get a shot and most likely first crack, I don't know if he'll get 20 carries a game but he could get at least 15 touches early on...James Davis will get his shot eventually, and I have always liked him in College and felt going back made his stock drop temendously, so he's definately worth monitoring in this situation because Lewis is finished and they'll need a big bruising back.


If I had to choose I'd rather have Harrison over Davis, but both should get their chances this year, I just think with Harrison's big play potential he'll prove being the most valuable.


In Cincy I feel Benson is overrated, he racked up alot of big yards late vs Cleveland and KC but he's slow, lacks no burst, and is not a back anyone wants to have leading their team getting 20 or so carries a game...Nobody else on that roster is worth mentioning to me, Kenny Watson shouldn't even be in this discussion, he already had a shot to state his case last year when Perry was fumbling the ball away every 4 carries, and yet they continually kept Perry as a starter, then when they parted ways when and got Benson.


Leonard is more of a FB/RB and a special teamer, he's a solid real football player but he's not going to get 10 or more carries a game for anyone at least not ideally, he would certainly be pointless to rotate in with Benson...Dorsey is still lucky to have a roster spot and would be cut on most other teams so again he's not a threat to anyone.


It's basically Benson and Scott right now, it looks to me like It'll be a split of some sorts between the two by the time the season starts, and depending on how each performs could determine if they choose to add another veteran back into the mix...I think it makes sense to give Benson a good amount of carries and let Scott be the 3rd down back because he provides an actual change of pace, and the pass catching ability is very evident with him and nobody else on the team can really catch the ball out of the backfield the way he can.


Chris Perry was a back that came in and caught 50 passes in that 3rd down role a few years ago, Cincy would prefer to have a back that can provide that aspect, and Benson, nor Leonard is going to be catching the ball out of the backfield for them which to me gives Scott a clear path to make an impact of some sort.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Cleveland RB situation

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Jamal Lewis has been done for 2+ years now and the team just keeps on lining him up out there. If Cleveland wants to win, they need to make a change. They didn't last year and we all saw how that turned out.

Jerome Harrison seems to have fallen in that trap of being labeled a situational player for whatever reason. The guy has looked great when running the ball, but he has been extremely inconsistent due to that label they have put on him. This guy never got his chance to really show what he's got, just like Jerious Norwood in Atlanta. But at the same time, Harrison hasn't even gotten the chance to show what he has a true change of pace runner. The guy has less than 100 carries in his three years in the league and even though he's averaged well over 5 yards per carry, they don't give him more than 1 or 2 carries a game here and there. It's mind boggling how they can field complete and utter trash out there in Jamal Lewis and leave this guy on the bench, but that's the way it's been for two years running now. It's come to the point where you tend to think that if someone(Harrison) has been in the same situation with a below average player ahead of him all this time, that he will never get that chance on that team. He's been overlooked for so long now that they have made themselves believe that he doesn't have what it takes despite never having given the guy the chance to prove it.

I think that's where you see the optimism behind a guy like James Davis. This guy is one of ten most talent rookie RBs coming into the league this year and he has enough ability to perform better than guy like Jamal Lewis right out out of the gate. Jamal Lewis still sucks and if someone gets a chance to finally put this guy out to pasture, James Davis could do it. Everything we know about the current situation is out the door with the new regime in town, and there may be an opportunity for fresh blood to come in. That type of thinking puts even more weight behind a guy like James Davis getting his chance because that is a guy the new regime brought in. Watch news closely to see if Harrison will actually get his crack, but I would wager that he once again will not get his chance.



A tad bit harsh Kensat. While I won't say Jamal is a great RB at this point he has put up over 1000 yds the last 2 seasons on a horrible team and averaged 3.6 and 4.4 per carry over the last 2 years. Over the last 2 years he really has better numbers than the previous 3 years to that.

Harrison has had his moments but the main knocks against him have been pass protection the first 2 years and his inability to stay healthy. In limited playing time he has been hurt enough to miss 16 games in the last 3 years.
Image
Image
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10988
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: straight ahead, hang a left, look down

Re: Cleveland & Cincy RB situation

Postby MaximeGravel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:20 pm

So there is no one fantasy worthy in cincy, not even in a dynasty league ? I was thinking scott was talented and could be the long term answer, at least for the next couple of years ?
MaximeGravel
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 17
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cleveland & Cincy RB situation

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:26 pm

MaximeGravel wrote:So there is no one fantasy worthy in cincy, not even in a dynasty league ? I was thinking scott was talented and could be the long term answer, at least for the next couple of years ?


That was the point I was trying to make was that the only person I see worth anything is Scott, that is what a few of us have been trying to point out...I don't know about the "long term answer" to anything, but he's the most talented back they have so he's the one I'd want to stash, Benson is worth something he's just overrated to me because he still sucks, but he still starts.


Everyone gets excited he had 170 yards at the end of last year but it was Cleveland who had a terrible defense and pretty much quit by that point, and it took him 38 carries to get there...His YPC wasn't impressive in any games, he's not a threat to break off any long runs, and it's only a matter of long before Cincy wants to give someone else a chance because Cedric Benson shouldn't be starting for any team in the league.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Cleveland & Cincy RB situation

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:10 pm

These two teams are certainly going to present gamblers with opportunities to draft a starter late. I like Harrison and Scott to be the most likely replacements. I don't know how much value to place on this in dynasty leagues, though. Both franchises seem really confused over what direction to take and show signs of front office baffoonery that can crush the future on any player. Lewis gets to start 'cause he is getting paid to. He lacked burst last season and it ain't coming back. Benson is only slightly more elusive than a tackling dummy, but unless Scott dazzles early Benson will start. I guess I would go for Scott but look at what he has to look forward to. Palmer isn't getting younger and tossing away your best WRs isn't a long term recipe for success.

Proceed with caution.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Cleveland & Cincy RB situation

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:32 pm

well...it looks like benson is good...so no use fighting over who is backup is....i actually just dropped scott

but the clev situation looks to be getting a little interesting w the yahoo note today about Lewis..."Lewis was not on the field for the beginning of practice, leaving his status for Sunday's game at Baltimore in question"

im not saying he isnt going to play or anything...but at least its keeping the situation interesting

im going for james davis to come in and step it up...as i own him and not harrison

anybody see them at all since the season started and got a feeling about who would win out if Lewis goes down?
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator


Posts: 714
Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:30 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact