The absolute WORST time of year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The absolute WORST time of year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The absolute WORST time of year

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 pm

iamgregg wrote:
The Lung wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Confederations Cup or if that doesn't work, you can always keep tabs on Real Madrid's spending spree. %-6 :-P :-t

$130 million for Ronaldo was ridiculous. :-t

Add it to the $90m+ they already spent on Kaka, factor in they appear to want David Villa, Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema and it's beyond ridiculous! :-*

I think Real are laying off the chase for Villa because Barca are willing to pay more and offer Bojan Krkic as well as Caceres on the side. Logic tells them they don't need Ribery when they have Ronnie and Sneijder, but they're willing to sell Sneijder too if they can get Ribery (who isn't worth anywhere near 70 million Euro IMO) but when you're Real Madrid, logic falls by the wayside. Reports are they're not willing to overpay for Ribery though. Also, the chief of Lyon won't sell Benzema unless they get the kind of money Bayern want for Ribery, but at least he has plenty of all-around upside with respect to Ribery to be worth the price tag.

As far as where Real get the money during a credit crunch, for one thing, Spain don't have the strict limitations on banks like in the US and UK to put a tighter leash on spending. Real also have a greater margin to work with when they have lucrative revenue streams and less operating tax enforced. On top of that, clubs like Milan, Valencia, and Liverpool are in dire financial straits and while Liverpool aren't willing to sell, certain teams have had to take offers for their best players to stop the bleeding on their checkbooks (hence why Milan finally said yes to an offer on Kaka).

At any rate, carry on. Real Madrid won't win anything anyway if they don't rectify the traffic cone defense they've had when faced against a quality side. :-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm

SniperShot wrote:This is like the 3 month stretch where I actually play more sports than I watch. :D I've been working out alot running and getting oustide. Love the summertime! Training camps are only a month and a half away it'll be preseason soon enough... Man this offseason went/is going by fast for me. :-D

Yeah, I'm out and about more during the Summer, more or less because of swimming. I'm also hitting the gym more on the weekends on mornings when I've left for the pub for the early-morning soccer matches, which is also a blessing. Just a great time to relax and to enjoy the nice warm weather, all in all.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:25 pm

I can't imagine having just one thing that I'm so interested in that it blocks out everything else. I like football, baseball and volleyball. I'll watch soccer from time to time, and even (rarely) NBA basketball. But mostly I'm trying to keep weeds out of my yard and other gardening-related stuff in the Summer time. So this "dead period" doesn't bother me at all.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:43 pm

knapplc wrote:I can't imagine having just one thing that I'm so interested in that it blocks out everything else. I like football, baseball and volleyball. I'll watch soccer from time to time, and even (rarely) NBA basketball. But mostly I'm trying to keep weeds out of my yard and other gardening-related stuff in the Summer time. So this "dead period" doesn't bother me at all.

I hear ya knapp. This summer I'm in school, and once we actually freaking close I'll be working on the new house. That should keep me pretty busy, fun busy though.

The only thing sports related that everything else takes a backseat to is Ducks football. I would give up every other sport including the NFL before I'd stop watching Ducks games......or I guess if they started sucking really bad. :-b I keed, I keed. I'd still watch, just with a bag on my head. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:16 pm

PreSeason starts in 6 weeks. I play golf with son during the down time and wife likes the beach. Between those 2 my weekends get to stay pretty full.

The rest of the off time I spend at the cafe.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 pm

bmor8811 wrote:
Madison wrote:I'd rather watch my Texas Rangers over any other team of any other sport (sorry football, I like ya, but baseball is my thing). And this year the Rangers are doing surprisingly well! :-)

Another Rangers diehard!!! Yea!!! ;-D Gotta love those red jerseys too :-D

Always been a Ranger fan and always will be. ;-D

A lot of teams are wearing red now it seems, but it does beat plain old blue and gray every day.

Cool to see Pudge (Ivan Rodriguez) tie the all time record for games caught today, and he will break that record tomorrow. Even though he's been long gone, I'm still a big fan of his. Ruben Sierra was my first "favorite" Ranger, then came Pudge. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bmor8811 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:53 pm

Madison wrote:
bmor8811 wrote:
Madison wrote:I'd rather watch my Texas Rangers over any other team of any other sport (sorry football, I like ya, but baseball is my thing). And this year the Rangers are doing surprisingly well! :-)

Another Rangers diehard!!! Yea!!! ;-D Gotta love those red jerseys too :-D

Always been a Ranger fan and always will be. ;-D

A lot of teams are wearing red now it seems, but it does beat plain old blue and gray every day.

Cool to see Pudge (Ivan Rodriguez) tie the all time record for games caught today, and he will break that record tomorrow. Even though he's been long gone, I'm still a big fan of his. Ruben Sierra was my first "favorite" Ranger, then came Pudge. ;-D

Yea, man the good ole days back with Pudge and Rusty Greer and Co. when they got to the playoffs last haha. Kinsler and CO. are gonna break that cycle now. Just wait until they get healthy... the scary thing is theyve been doing this all year with helter-skelter rosters just filling in injured All-Stars. Can't wait for the playoff push in August! (We already bought some Texas-Bo Sox tickets for Aug 15ish... should be a blast) You from TX Madison?
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby Madison » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:05 am

bmor8811 wrote:Yea, man the good ole days back with Pudge and Rusty Greer and Co. when they got to the playoffs last haha. Kinsler and CO. are gonna break that cycle now. Just wait until they get healthy... the scary thing is theyve been doing this all year with helter-skelter rosters just filling in injured All-Stars. Can't wait for the playoff push in August! (We already bought some Texas-Bo Sox tickets for Aug 15ish... should be a blast) You from TX Madison?

Yep, been awhile since we've seen the playoffs. The Angels just keep on winning, so it's not going to be an easy year to do it, but I have faith. ;-D Agreed that injuries and slumps have been nuts this year. But we keep on winning anyway, which is awesome. Been in the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington area pretty much my whole life and my house is about 15 minutes from the ballpark. ;-D Sox series in August should be interesting to say the least. We got 2 of 3 from them last series, but they are a good team, so it will be interesting for sure. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bmor8811 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:25 am

Madison wrote:
bmor8811 wrote:Yea, man the good ole days back with Pudge and Rusty Greer and Co. when they got to the playoffs last haha. Kinsler and CO. are gonna break that cycle now. Just wait until they get healthy... the scary thing is theyve been doing this all year with helter-skelter rosters just filling in injured All-Stars. Can't wait for the playoff push in August! (We already bought some Texas-Bo Sox tickets for Aug 15ish... should be a blast) You from TX Madison?

Yep, been awhile since we've seen the playoffs. The Angels just keep on winning, so it's not going to be an easy year to do it, but I have faith. ;-D Agreed that injuries and slumps have been nuts this year. But we keep on winning anyway, which is awesome. Been in the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington area pretty much my whole life and my house is about 15 minutes from the ballpark. ;-D Sox series in August should be interesting to say the least. We got 2 of 3 from them last series, but they are a good team, so it will be interesting for sure. ;-D

Good to hear. I was born and raised up here in Wichita Falls so I'm always going to Arlington and Dallas for the Cowboys, Mavs, and Rangers... Love the Metroplex, actually thinking over a move there now, but for now I'll just drive 2 hours to see my Rangers. You should go check out the All You Can Eat Homerun Deck section for like $30 a ticket. Pretty cheap and you get all the food/drinks you can scarve down. ;-D
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby The Lung » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:59 am

Ugh! Baseball talk! :-P
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk