Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Madden 10

Postby RWLongy4 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 am

bmor8811 wrote:madden 10 set to drop in 2 months!! Anyone else pumped?!? ;-D ;-D

Hopefully it is worth it, I haven't really heard anything... Any big new upgrades this year?

Regardless I'll buy it, even if it sucks Madden always seems to get me pumped up for the football season ;-D
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eagles21 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 am

Not sure if I'll buy it this year. Hasn't really lived up to my expectations the last few years. I'm really pumped for NCAA 10 which comes out in less then a month. ;-D ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Yep. Didn't get last year's because I didn't have a PS3 yet, so I'm ready for some Madden! Especially online leagues! WOOT!
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bmor8811 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:46 pm

Ohhh there are going to be HUGE upgrades from everything I've seen. More online leagues, online franchises... more sleek presentation that looks pretty sick on the videos I've seen. Increased AI and they fixed some of the man defense bugs from years past. Increased statistics that give each player their own unique style even more than ever. I usually get pumped for Madden every year... but I've never been as pumped as I am going to be for Madden 10.
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby eagles21 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:03 pm

One more day. WOO-HOO!!!! I'm not too thrilled with NCAA this year, and based on the major improvements to Madden, I think I will be playing a lot more then I played 09.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:20 pm

Hey guys, I'm a PS3 owner and want to start an online franchise mode. If you have a PS3 and are interested, let me know and we'll get rolling. I've already claimed the Cowboys. Claim your team now!
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Here's my mini review of the game so far. I should say that I havent done much of the two important things (to me): fantasy draft and playing against other people. That may lead to other criticisms... But here's what I think so far.

The Good:
- Gang tackling finally seems to be fleshed out, and it looks great. Adds a lot to playing defense. And finally we get half sacks and assisted tackles!
- The new rating system seems to be working. It's nice actually being able to tell the difference between good players and mediocre players.
- The return game is improved. It's actually possible to get good returns but TDs still seem rare enough to be realistic.
- The game controls well overall, I think. The R-stick moves on offense and defense integrate well. When the game runs without glitches its a lot of fun to play.
- The number of fumbles seems to be more realistic this year. The defense seems less inept when jumping on the ball. Fight for the fumble is OK, I've yet to see a situation in which it has made a difference though.

The Bad:
- Screen Passes don't work like they should. The OL doesnt actually get out in front of the RB on HB Screens, and the WRs have trouble catching the ball and turning up field smoothly on WR screens.
- WRs make no effort to stay in bounds. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating to throw the ball to a WR streaking across the field, have them catch it in 6 yards in bounds, and then take two huge steps resulting in an incompletion.
- It's cool that Madden added "measurements," but uggggh is it half-assed. You get the "measurement" animation like 10 times a game, often when its not even close. And no matter how close it actually is, you will only see one of two animations, either "barely make it" or "barely miss." And you can't even skip the damn thing entirely. The refs also take forever to decide if a player crossed the plane on touchdowns, sometimeswhen it's beyond obvious that they did... so much so that the game cuts to the refs decision early because you are already falling over the line.
- Some glitches in the AI on defense are still present. I've seen DBs get "Sucked in" by downfield blockers, and balls go literally through people's bodies. It doesnt seem to be that frequent though.
- Still no upgrade of the challenge system. Madden kind of added this a few years ago and then forgot about it. The game often interprets your challenge wrong (ie. the ball spot instead of the fumble). But meh... whatever, minor grievance.
- Create a team is pretty lame. I just tried it today, there are like 6 options for logos.

The Ugly:
- The commentators/halftime report are pretty awful. Half the things the commentators say don't even make sense. Like they will call passing plays running plays, or just make comments about how the game has been played that arent even remotely true. And the halftime report is incredibly vague and pointless, just reciting the same stat categories every time. They could have left that on the cutting room floor for all I care.
- And my very biggest complaint... QBs are absolutely unwilling to take sacks. Apparently, Madden has decided that some pressures should result in bad throws instead of sacks, which makes perfect sense... but they took it WAY too far. What ends up happening is the QBs pop the ball up right at the line of scrimmage about 10 times a game often when the pressure wasnt even that intense, which 1. leads to unrealistic sack totals and 2. a million interceptions by DLs. I've seriously seen 7 DL interceptions in my last 4 games. It's just silly. Not to mention they DLs seem to have better hands than their DB counterparts, who drop several easy picks a game, usually a result of the QB wildly flinging the ball downfield with a DL so far down their throat that I dont even know how they got the ball off.

Aaaanyway, sorry for rambling. And remember all these complaints are against the Human vs. CPU experience.

Overall, I think it is a solid game with a good deal of flaws, similar to the 09 version. I'm starting to think that Madden may never return to its early 00s greatness... but at least its making some steps in the right direction. Even if it often seems to be 2 steps forward, one step back.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Thor » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:16 am

terpfan wrote:Here's my mini review of the game so far. I should say that I havent done much of the two important things (to me): fantasy draft and playing against other people. That may lead to other criticisms... But here's what I think so far.

The Good:

- The return game is improved. It's actually possible to get good returns but TDs still seem rare enough to be realistic.

I think the return game is ridiculously easy. I get a TD return on a kickoff about once every game or two. One game I returned 3 for TDs with Deshaun Jackson.
14 Team 5 pts per 5 receptions
QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, TE, FLEX(WR/TE), K, DST
QB- Romo, Freeman, Manuel
RB- Sproles, J Bell, Bernard, W McGahee
WR - Megatron, D Bryant, V Brown, A Jeffery, R Randle, P Harvin(IR)
TE- J Graham, Sudfeld
K- Hartley
DST - Dallas
Thor
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 85)

Return to Video Games