RBBC: The Advantage pt. 2 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

RBBC: The Advantage pt. 2

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

RBBC: The Advantage pt. 2

Postby WebHamster » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:55 am

This thread contains comments on Todd Ransom's Article "RBBC: The Advantage pt. 2", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on June 21, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: RBBC: The Advantage pt. 2

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:32 pm

I picked some backfields in this group that was really hard to find a clear cut winner, I thought about putting percentages of carries that I thought it may be, but really it's all just educated guesses anyway whether I picked a guy or not...Sure all my choices won't be the favorites of everyone but hopefully it's used more for analysis so everyone can make their own decision, these were just my personal choices off of what I've seen, heard, and felt. ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bmor8811 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:41 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I picked some backfields in this group that was really hard to find a clear cut winner, I thought about putting percentages of carries that I thought it may be, but really it's all just educated guesses anyway whether I picked a guy or not...Sure all my choices won't be the favorites of everyone but hopefully it's used more for analysis so everyone can make their own decision, these were just my personal choices off of what I've seen, heard, and felt. ;-D

I liked the article a lot LS2... definitely will be taking a look as drafts get closer and if I target RBs in a RBBC situation...
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Loved the article- especially since I drafted Greene recently. :-D Can't wait for the 3rd part.

A part that jumped out at me-
"Watson’s carries to from 178 to 13"
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Hank_Scorpio » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:39 pm

There's certainly some valuable information in Todd's article, but I feel that some of the "advantages" are going to the underdogs as far as RBBC go.

I can't agree that Michael Bush has the advantage over Darren McFadden in Oakland. In fact, I see McFadden hitting his potential this year and leaving Bush (and Justin Fargas) in his dust in 2009.

While I think it's reasonable that Shonn Greene might become the most valuable of the Jets' runners, it's still a risky proposition. Same goes for rookies James Davis of Cleveland and Bernard Scott of Cincy. Without seeing these guys in camp, it's really difficult to assess (and thereby recommend to other Fantasy owners) whether any of these raw rookies have the potential to stand out in a RBBC.

Of all the young RB's in the article, I think Pittsburgh's Rashard Mendenhall has the best potential to be the best in a RBBC. Todd recommended Willie Parker as the guy to tab in the Steeler rotation. I disagree, because I think Parker's penchant for injury and his lack of carries in the red-zone will result in less Fantasy value than Mendenhall. I see Mendenhall in a similar light as the Titans' LenDale White. He may not crack 750 yards in rushing, but he could easily get double-digit TD's.

I don't enjoy criticizing someone's article, and I'm sure Todd put a lot of time into researching and writing it. But I'm not sure that this early in the summer is the right time to be recommending so many unproven RB's to beat out veterans in Fantasy formats.
I have the doomsday device!
Hank_Scorpio
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it's all appreciated good or bad...Your right on most of your points, this was a batch that like I said was harder to get a feel for. It's definately risky on alot of avenues, but sometimes situations play out like that, I'd be more concerned if everyone agreed with me. :-D I really don't mind the criticism at all, just like the example I used with Hightower he ended up being the back you wanted from Arizona last year.

While some of the young backs are unproven, I just don't have much faith in Benson, Thomas Jones, or McFadden and I'd hate to recommend a back I really don't see being all that special. Guess you really won't know until after the season, and I don't mean for these articles to recommend who to draft first, because i still realize I'd take McFadden before Bush in a redraft because of value, but Bush is very talented also so I think an argument could be made for either of the two.

DMAC busting out wouldn't be a shock at all, I just can't see it happening...Seens like he'll disappoint again, but that's solely my opinion though, I tried to offer up info about the backfield in general without just projecting someone to have the advantage.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Hank_Scorpio » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Thanks for the feedback, it's all appreciated good or bad...Your right on most of your points, this was a batch that like I said was harder to get a feel for. It's definately risky on alot of avenues, but sometimes situations play out like that, I'd be more concerned if everyone agreed with me. :-D I really don't mind the criticism at all, just like the example I used with Hightower he ended up being the back you wanted from Arizona last year.

While some of the young backs are unproven, I just don't have much faith in Benson, Thomas Jones, or McFadden and I'd hate to recommend a back I really don't see being all that special. Guess you really won't know until after the season, and I don't mean for these articles to recommend who to draft first, because i still realize I'd take McFadden before Bush in a redraft because of value, but Bush is very talented also so I think an argument could be made for either of the two.

DMAC busting out wouldn't be a shock at all, I just can't see it happening...Seens like he'll disappoint again, but that's solely my opinion though, I tried to offer up info about the backfield in general without just projecting someone to have the advantage.

Well, I like James Davis and Shonn Greene, but only if I can get them late (say 11th rd or later in a 16 round draft) and get the other members of the RBBC to go with them.

P.S. I really, really, like McFadden this year. He is healthy in the OTA's and the Raiders signed a great FB in Lorenzo Neal to plow the way for DMC.
Hank_Scorpio
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby daullaz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:17 am

I think D-Mac represents great value this year as well. Hank, would you care to write a sleeper article on McFadden for the front page?
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hank_Scorpio » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:52 pm

daullaz wrote:I think D-Mac represents great value this year as well. Hank, would you care to write a sleeper article on McFadden for the front page?

Sure, I'm down for an article on McFadden. Not sure if you can categorize the first RB picked in last year's draft a "sleeper" -- but I'll do my best. I'll have something submitted by Friday June 26th.
Hank_Scorpio
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Article Discussions