14 teams? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

14 teams?

Moderator: Football Moderators

14 teams?

Postby milostyl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:51 am

I commish the fantasy league for my coworkers. Last year was our first year and we had 10 teams. This year, word has got around the office and I'm getting more and more guys wanting in. Counting 9 of the 10 returning from last year, I'm looking at possibly running a 14 team league.

Anyone have any advice on micromanaging a draft for that amount of people? I trimmed the roster down 2 spots to cut a few rounds out so people aren't picking up 7th round 09 draft picks as sleepers and whatnot but I'm starting to think maybe I should just let 2 guys down and keep it at 12.
milostyl
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 14 teams?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 am

if you have enough committed owners i dont see any issue with a 14 team league

i'd suggest the following playoff structure
No Divisions
have each team play each team once (13 weeks)
Top 6 teams make playoffs
Week 14 = Top 2 seeds get a bye, #3 plays #6, #4 plays #5
Week 15 = #1 vs lowest seed remaining, #2 vs other remaining team
Week 16 = championship
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theimitator » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Last year we ran with 14 for the first time. I was hesitant, but the demand was there. It turned out really well.

It puts more emphasis on doing your homework, because more in this case, you'll win your league in the middle/late rounds. I wouldn't worry about someone taking a flier in the later rounds -- why is that bad? If that's how they want to play it, so be it. All those faulty fliers get corrected with waiver wire work by the end of September, anyway.

I don't know if you do a live draft or what, but if you do, I would put the last five or so rounds in almost a speed-round style or else you'll be there all night. Even at 30 seconds a pick, an owner has plenty of time between picks with 14 owners.

Good luck.
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby spodog » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:57 pm

theimitator wrote:It puts more emphasis on doing your homework, because more in this case, you'll win your league in the middle/late rounds.

I totally agree with this. I'm actually of the belief that 14 teams is the perfect size for a league. With 32 teams in the NFL, there is no reason that you can't find enough talent to field a decent team with 14 teams. It also sets up very nicely in terms of scheduling as you can have every team play every other team once in NFL weeks 1 thru 13, then run your playoffs in Wk 14, 15 and 16. Very fair to all that way.

As for micromanaging the draft, not sure why you'd want to do that, or micro manage any part of the season for that matter.

Just ensure that all Owners are aware of ALL the rules ahead of time, give them no excuses for not being able to review them, set time limits on each pick if you feel compelled to and have at it.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:47 pm

My main money league that I commish is a 14 team league and has been for years. I honestly couldn't envision it any other way.

Here's what we do to keep things fresh and competitive:

1. Two divisions
2. You play every team in your division twice and non-division teams once for a total of 19 games. (I guess you could simply play each team exactly once but that really sucks for bye weeks IMO.)
3. This means double game weeks on weeks 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
4. The division winners get bye weeks for the first week of playoffs on week 14.
5. Use standard NFL style rules for matchups in week 15 instead of immutable brackets. The top seed should get the advantage.

We also use the following settings:
1 QB
1 RB
2 WR
2 Flex
1 TE
1 K
1 D/ST

The reason we go with 2 flex spots and only require 1 RB is because when we did 2 RB spots required it was simply an RB land grab for the first three rounds. All other positions were completely forgotten about and if you had one RB go down you basically could write off that season because you're using an RB that shares time for sure as one of your main RBs. It also allows for people to use two different methods of acquiring a good team, either by fantastic RBs or WRs. Some have even tried a TE route although that was met with little success (we do score TEs differently for yardage though so this did make a *little* sense).

The draft lasts 15 rounds. This amount is good because you *could* draft an entire team that fits the above mold and never need to pick up another player. We don't have any IR spaces. Going an extra round would really sweep up the remaining players that have value and going with only 14 roster spots means you *must* drop a player at some point during the season or play with an empty roster space (something I forbid in my league).

If I think of anything else I'll add it in. ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cards24 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:19 pm

I have been running a league for 9 years and growing, of which the last 7 have been auction drafts. Our current size is 10 teams, and the last 7 years we only had 2 vacancies!!! We take pride how consistent the league has been, not to mention the waiting list that expands year after just by word of mouth. I would advice three things.

- Try to establish a good base of "quality", committed, competitive owners. The success to any fantasy league is the quality of the owners not the quantity.

- DO NOT get too big too fast. History shows that this is the number one downfall to any empire.

- Talk to the current owners and create a poll. The last 3 years we attempted to update to 12 teams, and year after years it has been getting shut down by majority vote.

Good Luck in which ever route you choose to take ;-D
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Commissioner's Corner