Drew Brees vs Aaron Rodgers going forward - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drew Brees vs Aaron Rodgers going forward

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drew Brees vs Aaron Rodgers going forward

Postby WannabeGuru » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Obviously most people rank Drew Brees ahead of Aaron Rodgers for this season but what about going forward? Brees is now 31 and while the Saints passing game was a juggernaut last season is it reasonable to expect more of the same? On the flip side Aaron Rodgers had a slightly less impressive year but is 25, is it reasonable to expect his numbers to improve?
WannabeGuru
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drew Brees vs Aaron Rodgers going forward

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:21 am

thats a pretty tough one. Brees' age shouldnt really be a factor for 3+ years, so I wouldnt worry about that too much. Brees should put up better numbers, but Rodgers could be a top 5 QB this year, and he is reportedly looking good so far this offseason. The difference shouldnt be HUGE, but Im still taking Brees.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:02 pm

I still like Brees as age won't be a factor for a while. Probably 6 years. He hasn't had many concussions and as long as they can keep a decent WR corp he should do fine.

Rodgers doesn't have as many options but will still be a force to reckon with for years to come.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Rodgers doesn't have as many options but will still be a force to reckon with for years to come.

Very true. I would like to see Rodgers do it for another season before I place him in the upper echelon with Brees, however...
Inukchuk
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tejones8 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Rodgers has weapons too...

Jennings, Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Donald Lee are all solid.
Tejones8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Some days you're the pigeon. Other days you're the statue.

Postby WannabeGuru » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:37 pm

My issue is that after posting 4,038yds 28TD passing, 207yd 4TD rushing will Rodgers go up, down, or stay the same. I don't see any reason why his numbers should go down, after year 1 conventional wisdom says he should keep improving. Personally I don't think Rodgers has worse weapons than Brees to work with, Reggie Bush's ability out of the backfield may be what puts Brees over the top but Bush can't stay healthy.
WannabeGuru
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mrblitz » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Very good question. But for at least the next 3 years I gotta give the upper hand to Brees. Simply because he is much more proven. Rodgers will stay steady in his own right though.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Tejones8 wrote:Rodgers has weapons too...

Jennings, Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Donald Lee are all solid.

No one ever said they weren't. But they're nowhere near the amount of talent surrounding Brees: Colston, Moore, Henderson, Meachem, Bush... even Shockey should put up nicer numbers than last year.

That being said, I think Rodgers may end up being the better value simply because his price tag will be cheaper.
Inukchuk
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dabearsaregreat » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 pm

For where they go in drafts, Aaron Rodgers is your guy. In my league he was the 2nd highest scoring fantasy quarterback and he did that in his rookie year. Don't listen to the so-called gurus who question Rodgers because he is for real and is here to stay.

All that being said, you just cant put him in the same category as Drew Brees until Brees shows signs of slowing up and that doesnt look like its gonna be anytime soon.
dabearsaregreat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bmor8811 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

For a 4/5 round pick I'll take Rodgers over a 1/2 round pick of Brees. While I think Brees, Manning, and Brady are alone in their upper tier it's not because of a lack of talent. Just a lack of consistency and proven-ness. If it was me, while I love Brees this season... I'd much rather have Rodgers with 4 RBs/WRs on my roster then spending a 1/2 rounder on a guy maybe half a tier higher than the other.
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Next

Return to Football Talk