How Fantasy has changed the spectatorship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Fantasy has changed the spectatorship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How Fantasy has changed the spectatorship?

Postby GirlsNFootball » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:20 am

Hey, I'm a girl who enjoys watching football and was wondering ... If I were to join a league, how would that effect me as a spectator? Some people tell me that it ruins the experience because you don't cheer for one team anymore. Others tell me that it opens you up to games you normally wouldn't have watched. Does watching the NFL lose its fun by joining a league? Does it intensify your interests?
GirlsNFootball Beginner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How Fantasy has changed the spectatorship?

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:05 am

I think it enhances the viewing. I still tune in to the Browns games and enjoy them just as much as I did in the past, but the other games and the score updates have taken on a whole new meaning for me. My husband thinks I'm addicted because I sit with my laptop to watch the games and am constantly checking Stat Tracker to see how my players are doing. (he's right)

I've always watched a lot of football, but now I get really cranky if I have to miss a game, especially if it has one of my players in it.

I enjoyed every second of last year's season, and cannot wait for September 10! I was the champ of our 14-team league last year, and I plan to repeat!

My advice: definitely join a league, and frequent the Cafe for tips and strategies.
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bungle613 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:14 am

It's a fine line. A single league will probably not affect viewing your favourite NFL team. You will certainly get the odd Monday night where you need something to happen but it won't get to the point that it would take away from your normal routine. Increase the number of fantasy football leagues you participate in and you can have issues. If you get heavily involved in FF then it can certainly detract from football. You are watching the ticker more than a game, you flip wildly over to another channel to see if your player scored that touchdown to win you your FF game.

But yes, take it like a normal person (unlike some of us football and FF junkies) I think it does enhance an NFL season.

oh, and good first post ;-D welcome to the cafe
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 am

I agree with bungle. Participation in FFB will help give you new perspectives on the game and may increase your pleasure in watching teams play that may have 'your players'.
There is a very real issue of over-saturation. When you have too many teams/leagues you tend to lose a rooting interest as there are players from your and your opponants teams playing. The over-saturation levle is very individualized. I prefer 3-4 teams, while there are those who think I am excessive and others who have double digit number of teams.
Should you choose to go down the slippery slope of FFB, you will find your own comfort level and your viewing pleasure, as well as your football knowledge will increase. Enjoy and welcome aboard. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby biju » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't see FF affecting my viewing experience at all. I play in 5 different leagues and while I do tend to have a laptop open to see my real time scoring change I have found a single line of logic that always "fixes" my mentality on all things:

Real life before fantasy football.

That means I'm not going to get discouraged one bit if my opponent has T.J. Houshmandzadeh and he's racking up TD after TD. If my Seahawks are winning I'm happy and even if I just got booted from the playoffs I'm fine. Some folks can't control that and I will be the first to admit that it did take me a little bit of time to be able to always feel that way.

I remember many years ago cheering when an opposing player scored a touchdown. I was in the friggin stadium and it felt like about half of the crowd turned around and stared at me. I simply cursed fantasy football and everyone laughed and moved on.

As for the rest of the experience, I feel it really makes the game more enjoyable for me. I know the players better, understand other teams' systems and overall gameplans better, and I often have a vested interest in games I would normally have zero interest in. It also doesn't keep me from rooting against teams I absolutely cannot stand, even if I have one of the players from that team.

I got my girlfriend into football and then also eventually into fantasy football. She has become quite knowledgeable in such a short period of time and enjoys the sport that much more. She now understands how I can spend 1/7th of my fall watching TV and 6/7ths of it researching player data.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby benb18a » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 pm

It doesn't really affect me. Before FF, I was watching football on Sunday from noon until 11, and then the MNF game anyway. The only thing it has changed, is which game I choose to watch when there is one on both FOX and NBC. I will be more interested in watching the games with my FF starters, but when a Dallas game is on, or a really good matchup, those will take precedence, no matter how many teams I have.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby spodog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 pm

GirlsNFootball wrote:Some people tell me that it ruins the experience because you don't cheer for one team anymore.

Nah. If you are truly a fan of your team, you'll still be a fan of your team after you jump in, and you'll still cheer for them. There are a few boneheads who end up cheering against their own team because they happen to have the opposing TE on their fantasy roster that weekend or whatever, but NFL fans are pretty rabid. If you find yourself not cheering for your team after you join a league, you probably weren't as much of a fan as you thought you were.

GirlsNFootball wrote: Others tell me that it opens you up to games you normally wouldn't have watched.

Absolutely true. Before FF, I wouldn't have watched the final half of a blowout game between the Bucs and Bengals late on a Sunday night. I would have went out for a jog or a bike ride or something healthy. Now, it's another plate of nachos, glued to the game till the whistle blows.

GirlsNFootball wrote: Does watching the NFL lose its fun by joining a league?

Nope. The opposite. You know more about each game your watching, you know more about the story lines, the players, the histories between the coaches. You watch the game on a different level.

Welcome to the Cafe.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:53 pm

First, Welcome to the Cafe!

Lots of good input already. I agree with all of it. In moderation, it makes football even more enjoyable. In overkill, it takes away from the game, for me at least.

As far as your favorite team, it's nice to go for the double whammy of having your favorite team's players on your team, so you're not just rooting for your team, you're rooting for your team. As a Colts fan, that's been pretty easy for me :-)

Start small and simple, if you find your interest and comfort level growing, expand. Join additional leagues, experiment with auction/keeper/dynasty leagues, etc.

Just remember, the whole point is to have fun. Unless it's a money league. Then the point is to win, and have fun in the process ;-)

I used to think FF was sports dungeons & dragons. Then a league of friends/coworkers started in 2001 and I joined it as my first league. Been doing it ever since. Expanded in to fantasy racing, fantasy hoops, auction leagues, fantasy playoff leagues... there's no end to what you can do, if you're willing to put the time in and it holds your interest. Just be wary of getting so involved that it starts to feel like work to keep track of all your players and adjust your rosters, etc. Fortunately, if you're in one league doing research, it applies to all your leagues, so it's not like two teams is necessarily twice the work of one team.

Have fune! You'll find loads of advice around here, and a plethora of fine people ready and willing to help with your questions. When you view the list of forums you'll find subforums that involve injury and player updates, sit and start questions for weekly matchups, and the Fantasy Football Cafe homepage has articles published regularly dealing with all things fantasy football.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:45 am

Welcome to the cafe! ;-D

All of this is good advice. Look here in the "Fantasy School" for more questions about Fantasy Football and the web-site. It's a great place for fantasy beginners! Enjoy.

viewforum.php?f=338
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Football Talk