Best Fantasy Football Site (For Free) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Best Fantasy Football Site (For Free)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Fantasy Football Site (For Free)

Postby JoeFlesh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm somewhat of a FF veteran but I'll be a first time Commish this upcoming season and I was wondering which of the free FF sites should I use?

1. My first FF season was with Yahoo! and it was okay and the site was dependable but I hated how they wanted a $25 fee for live scoring or w/e so that I can watch my points get chalked up as the game is going on. Instead, i'm a cheapskate and had to wait until monday morning to see the scores. I do not wish to pay any money or fees for my private fantasy league but live scoring is a must for those Sundays when my Cardinals are playing Away games.

2. The other 2 FF seasons I've played in were with FoxSports. They had live scoring for free, which I loved. But somehow the website managed to screw up on points ALL THE TIME it seemed..scoring close FF matchups with one winner one minute, then the opponent as the winner the next in the close matchups even long after the NFL games were over. This led to much turmoil in the email postings and our league as a whole as you can imagine. Also FoxSports FF website seemed to break down alot, especially early Sunday mornings when injury reports are more updated and checking and confirming your teams is a must. I understand there is tons of traffic on those sites sunday mornings and that they are more prone to break down like that and have errors while trying to switch out players and what not, but if there is a website that is more dependable that would be most excellent. Those errors and breakdowns were what caused a mutiny of the commish last season and our league ultimately dissolved (long story).

So I guess what I am asking for is suggestions on what site to use if I am looking for:
1. (Strongly) Preferably Free (but I guess I could live with a small fee)
2. Dependable management of the site (accurate scoring; minimal errors and breakdowns so that I can make adjustments to my team early Sunday mornings).
3. Live Scoring

I'm not looking for a FF site with the latest and greatest FF advice, news, etc. built in; I can go to any other site I want if I'm looking for that.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! and good luck to all of you in your FF season, and may you avoid drafting the inevitable 2009 version of the 2008 Tom Brady like me in the 1st round. xD
JoeFlesh
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Fantasy Football Site (For Free)

Postby The_Captain » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 pm

First, welcome to the Cafe Joe! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and stay a while......

The best free site is FleaFlicker. They have a fairly easy configurable site with a pretty friendly user interface and live scoring. I haven't had a single issue with their site crashing or scoring problems.

The best pay site, by far, is www.myfantasyleague.com. One of the best things about MFL is the ability to setup and configure your league site without having to pay a dime. You can create/format your leagues interface by adding tabs, modules, links, etc. to your league's home page. The cost is $69.95 per league and while it's a bit costly, they are by far the best host site for Fantasy Football.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck!

Cap.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmjones101 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:38 am

As far as free sites, I don't think people give ESPN the credit it deserves. It is now completely free, very well laid out, and simple to use. As well, it's very convenient as you can manage your team via handheld devices as well. The only hangup with ESPN, is online drafts can get buggy as there are way too many drafts going on at the same time and the servers feel the crunch. However I'm usually in leagues that do offline drafting.

As far as your issues with scoring, and results changes... I see that happen more often in leagues that have a gazillion scoring options set, regardless which service you're using. In almost every league management site, there are the occasional changes in outcome once more official results are posted. The more scoring options you have enabled, the more likely it is to happen. Keeping scoring simple alleviates this problem.
rmjones101
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Motown Blues » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Yahoo is now completely free, with a nice format and live scoring. I personally don't like Fleaflicker's presentaiton....

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/features
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby rays6584 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Mod Edit: Spam
rays6584
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Beginner's Forum