2009 Rookie RBs vs. 2008 Rookie RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2009 Rookie RBs vs. 2008 Rookie RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

2009 Rookie RBs vs. 2008 Rookie RBs

Postby LeBron James » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 am

I was wondering what you guys think of this year's rookie RBs. Can Knowshawn and Chris Wells have the type of impact that Forte and CJ and Slaton had last year?? What about Donald Brown and LeSean McCoy??

I'm not really sure how Moreno will do with a new QB and coach and all.

Chris Wells might do well, he just might take Edge's role last year. Before Hightower took over for Edge, I recall he had pretty good numbers.

And if Westbrook and Adai go down, McCoy and Brown will be huge.

So what do you guys think and where in the draft should these new RBs go?
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Rookie RBs vs. 2008 Rookie RBs

Postby biju » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:41 pm

LeBron James wrote:I was wondering what you guys think of this year's rookie RBs. Can Knowshawn and Chris Wells have the type of impact that Forte and CJ and Slaton had last year?? What about Donald Brown and LeSean McCoy??

I'm not really sure how Moreno will do with a new QB and coach and all.

Chris Wells might do well, he just might take Edge's role last year. Before Hightower took over for Edge, I recall he had pretty good numbers.

And if Westbrook and Adai go down, McCoy and Brown will be huge.

So what do you guys think and where in the draft should these new RBs go?

I think it's very hard to say how this year's crop of rookie RBs are going to fair as compared to last year's group. The reason is simply because you're comparing the top rookies from last year against the top *drafted* rookie RBs this year. A better apples to apples comparison might be to compare the entire set of RBs instead.

For example, there were five RBs in 2008 drafted in the first round (Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, and Chris Johnson). In 2009, there were only three (Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, and Chris Wells). I don't think the 5th RB was off the board until Shonn Greene in the 3rd round.

Hindsight has allowed us the privilege of knowing who the top performers were of 2008, but I would guess that most expected to see Jonathan Stewart and Rashard Mendenhall (and in some crazy cases even Darren McFadden) to top the rookie list for 2008. Yes, treat did spearhead the Chris Johnson fanclub here at the Cafe and he seems dead on right now, but I don't think very many people had him down as a top performer for 2008. And I still think Forte isn't as good as most people here do.

In terms of pure talent, I personally think this class isn't as strong. I've been wrong many times before however. :-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk