Economy's impact on Fantasy Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Economy's impact on Fantasy Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Economy's impact on Fantasy Football

Postby LeBron James » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:36 am

Do you guys think the economy has affected FF?? A lot of people are out of jobs and maybe they just can't afford to be in too many pay leagues anymore. I'm fortunate I still have a job but even if I didn't, I would still play FF. I think if I were 90 years old on my death bed I would still play, as I would still enjoy whooping my other old geiser friends.

FF is a great way to get away from it all. Plus the bragging right when you win is priceless! ;-D
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Economy's impact on Fantasy Football

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:53 pm

LeBron James wrote:Do you guys think the economy has affected FF??

Yes.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:59 pm

No.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby biju » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Maybe.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:25 pm

biju wrote:

Maybe.

How about a bit of analysis to go with your answer, biju? Jeez... :-t ;-7
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:47 pm

iamgregg wrote:
biju wrote:

Maybe.

How about a bit of analysis to go with your answer, biju? Jeez... :-t ;-7

:-D

Honestly I'm not sure what the economy is doing to the game. I'm pretty sure that there is high unemployment across the country compared to just last year. If I were unemployed (and I'm thankful that I'm not) I probably wouldn't be spending too much of the "dead season" on here posting.

But if I were still unemployed come August I might need to fill that void with something, and that something could be fantasy football. Just a little extra to take my mind off the fact that I don't have an income.

But does that mean there will be a wicked shift to "free" leagues? I'm guessing that's probably accurate.

So to answer the question correctly I really should have written "Depends." Because it depends on exactly what you mean. I think it will affect FF, just not necessarily adversely the way it was implied.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:50 am

The Answer is Yes.

An unemployed person will clearly have more time on his hands then a employed person would and simply being Human people need some things to do. That's the world we live in and we have been living a fast pace life and when they are fired and they find they have nothing to do other then try to find a job that isn't going to be easy in this economy and all are going to find there isn't many that will know what to do with themself and to figure it out most of them will turn to the thing they know and it may become importent to them although they maybe less likely to pay to play.
THE TERMINATOR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Stelly » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:58 am

I would say yes. Some pay league may change entry fees/transaction fees/etc. to reflect what owners are willing and able to put into it. Maybe even go to a "free" format for a year untill people can get back on their feet. The game itself won't change, but the money thrown at it most certainly will.

I'm curious to see what happens in my money league at work. We all work at a Chevy Dealership, and needless to say, it's been a tougher year than most. I can see our commish throwing out the idea of reducing fees/etc. to avoid losing owners.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby keithty » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:01 pm

I think the economy is affecting fantasy football. But I think it is giving it a boost, both in free and paid leagues. I think money that would be spent on other forms of entertainment (especially travel), is instead being spent on things that return more and longer lasting value. $40 spent on fantasy football goes a lot further for me than $40 on movies, and I'm aware of it now more than ever.

I'm starting to wonder about the impact of new alternatives to fantasy football, like oneseason.com and fantasysportstrader.com. I see them advertising more, and I wonder if more money is being spent on those types of games and diluting traditional fantasy football leagues.
keithty
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moose_ffc » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:21 pm

I would think it has to. Pay leagues will be down because people will probably cut back. The number and expense of the leagues will come into play. However, fantasy football is a great way to escape the suck-ti-tude that regular life can be. People who love fantasy football will still play, but you have to expect some cutbacks.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk