Steve Mcnair shot dead - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steve Mcnair shot dead

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steve Mcnair shot dead

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:50 pm

joejlitz wrote:Steelerfan - the article says they are still married; bungle and I were wondering if they were separated or not; basically agreeing to live apart but not divorce. If so, his wife might have been used to McNair having a girlfriend and she may even have had a boyfriend herself.

If that were the case McNair's wife would've certainly clarified that by now and the media would publicize that to prevent people from thinking that McNair got killed while cheating on his wife. That hasn't happened, and unless Jemele Hill, a writer for ESPN, is looking to get sued for libel, I'm inclined to believe they weren't separated.

I'm not judging McNair, though, for the same reason I'm not judging Donte Stallworth: one decision, regardless of how stupid or wrong or what consequences it bears, cannot define a person as either a good or bad person. I pretty much paraphrased that line from the article I cited above, but if I use that defense for McNair, I have to use it for guys like Stallworth as well.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:25 pm

dream_017 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:They are now confirming murder-suicide:

UPDATED 10 p.m.: Steve McNair and Sahel Kazemi killed
STAFF REPORTS • July 4, 2009

UPDATED: 10 P.M.
Former Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair was killed in an apparent murder-suicide with a young woman he met at a local restaurant and have been dating for at least a few months.

McNair, the hometown hero who did extensive charity work in Nashville, died of several gunshots and was found on the sofa, police said. Sahel Kazemi, 20, was found alongside him in a Second Avenue condo he rented. She had a single gunshot wound to her head; a pistol was found near her body.

Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said they were leaning toward certain scenarios based on the evidence, but they hadn’t ruled anything out. Still, they were not actively looking for suspects Saturday night.

“The medical examiner will be conducting autopsies (Sunday),” Aaron said. “We expect to make additional conclusions after the autopsy process.”

Though much of the attention was on the Second Avenue crime scene, police also swarmed at the Cherry Creek apartment complex in Hermitage. They were questioning neighbors who said they often saw McNair visiting Kazemi. Sometimes, neighbors said, she would arrive home in a limousine in the early morning hours. She showed up with a new black car she said was a gift from her boyfriend.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090 ... mi+killed+

Confirming? :-? I don't see that confirmed in what you posted. (the article has since been removed)

espn.com wrote:Shot twice in the head and two more times in the chest, former NFL quarterback Steve McNair was the victim of a homicide, police declared Sunday. But authorities wouldn't say it was a murder-suicide -- even with his 20-year-old girlfriend dead at his feet from a single bullet.

RIP Steve :,-(

Sorry, it was just my investigative background causing me to jump the gun a teeny bit - when they make the above two comments it usually means they're 99% certain and are just waiting for the medical examiner to make it official. If there was any was any doubt, they would have been out actively investigating it, not sitting on their butts waiting for the ME's report.

;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:41 pm

The only two oddities I have in this sad case is that she was new to fire arms and had to have been terribly upset by whatever transpired before the shooting. Yet she didn't miss, not even once. The other thing is that she reportedly was shot in the temple, which depending on her positioning would make it difficult for her to have landed on top of her gun.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:52 pm

moochman wrote:The only two oddities I have in this sad case is that she was new to fire arms and had to have been terribly upset by whatever transpired before the shooting. Yet she didn't miss, not even once. The other thing is that she reportedly was shot in the temple, which depending on her positioning would make it difficult for her to have landed on top of her gun.

Obviously conjecture on my part, but it's hard to miss if she walked up to him while he was sitting on the couch and wasn't expecting it and pumped two into his chest at point blank range - that may not have killed him, but disabled him in which case she was able to walk up to him and issue the coup de grace with two more rounds to the head. And considering she was found on the floor, she could very easily fall on gun regardless of whether she was standing or sitting when she shot herself.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Interesting piece in the Miami paper today:

Posted on Monday, 07.06.09
IN MY OPINION
Steve McNair's death an example of '2-D' perception vs. '3-D' reality
By DAVID J. NEAL
dneal@MiamiHerald.com

Win or lose. You make it or you don't. The best players play.

In an increasingly impressionistic world, that black letter clarity remains much of sports' attraction. Fans want to believe in a sports and entertainment world full of two-dimensional situations and people.

And, then, that 2-D world gets popped into a 3-D figure with depth when an athlete behaves like, you know, a human being and not the fairy tale role model he never should've been asked to be. Take the still unfolding case of the late Steve LaTreal McNair, the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback and 2003 NFL co-MVP shot to death with Sahel Kazemi in Nashville this weekend.

McNair gave his time and money to more causes in Tennessee and his native Mississippi than most people know exist. Friends and professional foes who dealt with McNair before his retirement after the 2007 season generally spoke of him with not just respect, but admiration. He was an NFL Man of the Year finalist in 2005.

McNair also, according to Nashville police and Kazemi's ex-boyfriend (via The Tennessean) dated Kazemi for several months even though he's still with Mrs. Mechelle McNair, mother of his little McNairs. That's not a decision of which the vast majority of parents or friends would approve. It puts the kibosh on any Husband or Father of the Year candidacy. But, that's about it.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/footb ... 28696.html
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:01 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:The only two oddities I have in this sad case is that she was new to fire arms and had to have been terribly upset by whatever transpired before the shooting. Yet she didn't miss, not even once. The other thing is that she reportedly was shot in the temple, which depending on her positioning would make it difficult for her to have landed on top of her gun.

Obviously conjecture on my part, but it's hard to miss if she walked up to him while he was sitting on the couch and wasn't expecting it and pumped two into his chest at point blank range - that may not have killed him, but disabled him in which case she was able to walk up to him and issue the coup de grace with two more rounds to the head. And considering she was found on the floor, she could very easily fall on gun regardless of whether she was standing or sitting when she shot herself.

No question, Rob. I'm only saying that to do that she would have had to have been in a terrible state, rather than a cool, calm one. Anger, rage, severe depression, manic state are not the recipe for a tidy shooting. Geezuz, we it me I probably would have had my eyes closed and emptied the clip. But this terribly upset person just shot four rounds and hit each time. Unusual, it is.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby slowride » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:18 pm

According to some people that knew her, she was convinced they were going to get married. My guess, is that she realized he wasn't going to leave his wife as he had lead her to believe.....and she lost it.
Slowride is burning.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:26 am

stomperrob wrote:
Sorry, it was just my investigative background causing me to jump the gun a teeny bit - when they make the above two comments it usually means they're 99% certain and are just waiting for the medical examiner to make it official. If there was any was any doubt, they would have been out actively investigating it, not sitting on their butts waiting for the ME's report.

;-D

I'm not saying it wasn't or isn't going to be murder/suicide, but to call it confirmed :-?

stomperrob wrote:was killed in an apparent murder-suicide

Apparently, apparent is a confirmation
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:19 pm

I don't know the credibility of the source, but apparently the girlfriend fired the gun.

linky
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Karoz » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:49 pm

I've always had a great deal of respect for him on and off the field. I'll definitely be sporting my old McNair jersey at the beginning of the season.

Here's a late RIP.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk