My top 30 PPR Wide Receivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My top 30 PPR Wide Receivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: My top 30 PPR Wide Receivers

Postby My team is injured » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:53 am

Kareighuis wrote:I say it again- Roy Williams is worth nothing. He has bad hands, no good work habits and as the top WR, he'll attract the best DBs.

You make some good points and Roy Williams has probably under-achieved to date in his career compared to what he is capable of but I still think he may be a decent value pick in drafts this year. The Cafe's PPR rankings have him as the #21 WR behind guys like A. Gonz, Lee Evans, V. Jackson, and Bryant. I'd take him before all these guys without blinking, especially Evans and Jackson.

He's the number one WR in an offense that is going to be above average in moving the chains and putting up points. I think the Boys are going to and have been this offseason making it a focal point to get him involved in the offense and as such, he'll be targeted more than anyone except for possibly Witten (who I really like at TE). Jerry Jones didn't give up half his draft picks for this year and a large sum of money to not have Roy involved heavily in the offensive gameplan. Jason Garrett also is one of the more pass-heavy OCs and while I think Dallas should now cater their offense to their RB personnel, I think he'll still lean a bit more than he should on the pass-happy side. And while Roy has under-achieved in his career, he is capable of putting up a solid statline has he did his first season under Martz with an 82 catch, 1310 yds, 7 TD year.

His floor barring injury is IMO something around 72 catches, 1000 yards, 7 TDs. These projections still exceed the production I expect from guys like Evans and Vincent Jackson.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:36 pm

My team is injured wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:I say it again- Roy Williams is worth nothing. He has bad hands, no good work habits and as the top WR, he'll attract the best DBs.

You make some good points and Roy Williams has probably under-achieved to date in his career compared to what he is capable of but I still think he may be a decent value pick in drafts this year. The Cafe's PPR rankings have him as the #21 WR behind guys like A. Gonz, Lee Evans, V. Jackson, and Bryant. I'd take him before all these guys without blinking, especially Evans and Jackson.

He's the number one WR in an offense that is going to be above average in moving the chains and putting up points. I think the Boys are going to and have been this offseason making it a focal point to get him involved in the offense and as such, he'll be targeted more than anyone except for possibly Witten (who I really like at TE). Jerry Jones didn't give up half his draft picks for this year and a large sum of money to not have Roy involved heavily in the offensive gameplan. Jason Garrett also is one of the more pass-heavy OCs and while I think Dallas should now cater their offense to their RB personnel, I think he'll still lean a bit more than he should on the pass-happy side. And while Roy has under-achieved in his career, he is capable of putting up a solid statline has he did his first season under Martz with an 82 catch, 1310 yds, 7 TD year.

His floor barring injury is IMO something around 72 catches, 1000 yards, 7 TDs. These projections still exceed the production I expect from guys like Evans and Vincent Jackson.

As long as you have reasonable expectations about him, I'm OK with drafting him. I've had some mocks where someone thought they could grab a top-tier QB, some RB depth- then get Roy Williams as their WR1.

Roy Williams is not a fantasy WR1.

I'd really hesitate having him as my WR2, but having a team's #1 WR as my WR3 isn't a bad idea- even if he is Roy Williams.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Lance Moore. Not just here, but all over. He finished 14th overall in one league of mine last year and 3rd in my TD league. Yet, most cheatsheets conistantly have him between 25-35.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I'm surprised at the lack of love for Lance Moore. Not just here, but all over. He finished 14th overall in one league of mine last year and 3rd in my TD league. Yet, most cheatsheets conistantly have him between 25-35.

There was a whole discussion on this before in another thread but the big reasons are that he benefited immensely from the injuries to both Marques Colston and Reggie Bush and so drafting a guy who will have just "ok" value unless some injuries occur is not exactly a great thing for most people. I think the chances of him finishing that high again are reasonably low and so drafting him in the 25-35 range is probably about right to be honest...how high would you draft him?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby My team is injured » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Portlis X wrote:In my opinion, I'm just shocked at how high some of these receivers are being taken this year compared to what I feel is TREMENDOUS mid-late round receiver value out there this year in PPR leagues.

I just can't understand why guys like Bowe, VJacks, Roy Williams, Antonio Bryant (who is his QB??), Santonio Holmes and Lee Evans are going as high as the 10th-15th WR's off the board.

You've got guys like Lance Moore, Cotchery, Driver, Mason, Kevin Walter, Donnie Avery, Holt, Hines Ward, DeSean Jackson, Eddie Royal and to a lesser extent guys like Hixon and Ginn who could ALL potentially outperform those guys getting taken above them.

I'm doing a draft right now where every one of those receivers in my top section are taken, and only DeSean Jackson from the second section is gone and we're in the 7th round.

Again, we're talking PPR, but I can't understand why someone would rather have Holmes or Lee Evans in the 5th/6th round compared to Mason in the 8th/9th. Heck, I'd probably rather have Mason straight up!

I'm snatching up all the early-mid round RB's like Lynch, Moreno, Larry Johnson, Pierre Thomas and taking a gamble on the cheap WR's in later rounds....

I agree with your post for the most part (I don't think hixon and ginn are worth mentioning and I'm still deciding on how much I like bowe but I'd at least put him a notch ahead of the other top wideouts you listed). And a guy like Mason is always undervalued; I snatched him up late in a couple of my leagues last year.

But overall, yeah, I'll probably end up drafting as you indicated. I likely see myself grabbing a RB in the 1st and then top wideouts the next 2 rounds (unless someone like slaton or s-jax slips) and then RBs like the ones you mentioned in rounds 4-6 (as well as witten if available) while scooping up additional wideouts like ward, royal, cotchery, or holt later on.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk