Kurt Warner - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kurt Warner

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kurt Warner

Postby waterproof » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Any thoughts on him for the upcoming season? I have him in a keeper, but I'm thinking about trading him.

He is 38 and coming off hip surgery.
He still has the best receivers in the game.
ARZ lost their offensive coordinator.
I’m not sure what their running game will look, but I thinking they’ll still throw a ton.
Any changes to the O-line?
Possible Super Bowl hangover?

Regular Season Schedule
Sun 9/13 San Francisco 4:15 pm
Sun 9/20 at Jacksonville 1:00 pm
Sun 9/27 Indianapolis 8:20 pm
Sun 10/11 Houston 4:15 pm
Sun 10/18 at Seattle 4:05 pm
Sun 10/25 at NY Giants 8:20 pm
Sun 11/1 Carolina 4:15 pm
Sun 11/8 at Chicago 1:00 pm
Sun 11/15 Seattle 4:15 pm
Sun 11/22 at St. Louis 4:05 pm
Sun 11/29 at Tennessee 1:00 pm
Sun 12/6 Minnesota 4:15 pm
Mon 12/14 at San Francisco 8:30 pm
Sun 12/20 at Detroit 1:00 pm
Sun 12/27 St. Louis 4:05 pm
Sun 1/3 Green Bay 4:15 pm

;-D
waterproof
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kurt Warner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:13 pm

waterproof wrote:
Regular Season Schedule

Sun 12/20 at Detroit 1:00 pm
Sun 12/27 St. Louis 4:05 pm

;-D

:-L
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Warner reminds me of Priest Holmes right before the end. I've got a bad feeling about the guy this year. If you've got this guy as a QB1 (almost guaranteed that you will) I think you should drop an early pick on a high QB2. It should be good while it lasts, but then again they still have a very expensive Matt Leinart waiting to come in to get another chance (and fail again).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FFslacker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:54 pm

I have to agree. I have a bad gut feeling about Warner this year for some reason. He could turn out another spectacular year but I would heed Kensat30's advice and and grab a high QB2.
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bmor8811 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 am

That schedule makes me up Boldin, Fitz, Beanie, and Warner in ALL of my rankings.
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby smfowler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:59 am

I don't think he'll put up last year's numbers. However, Sage Rosenfels could upt up good numbers with FItz and Boldin on his side. The only thing I worry about is the Cards run game. If they can't establish some sort of running attack then Warner will definately be doomed.
smfowler
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 am

If Warner stays healthy, he should put up monster numbers. Look at that schedule and more importantly, look at weeks 14, 15, and 16. ;-D

In regards to his hip surgery, he is already fully recovered from what I have read so I do not believe there will be any lingering effects into the season. With that said, I would not feel good about having Warner as my QB1 and no other good option behind him. The guy could get injured and be out for 3-4 games at any given time.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby My team is injured » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:53 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Warner reminds me of Priest Holmes right before the end. I've got a bad feeling about the guy this year. If you've got this guy as a QB1 (almost guaranteed that you will) I think you should drop an early pick on a high QB2. It should be good while it lasts, but then again they still have a very expensive Matt Leinart waiting to come in to get another chance (and fail again).

I don't think you necessarily need to burn an early 2nd pick on a QB. In larger bench leagues, you can simply draft Leinart late as your backup QB. This will guarantee you get AZ's QB points and while Leinart has looked mediocre to date in his career, I'd be okay rolling with him in fantasy in most leagues if Warner got hurt as he still has Fitz and Boldin to throw to. In smaller bench leagues, there are generally good free agent QBs available (warner and rogers were both FAs in many leagues early last year) and you can always claim Leinart if Warner goes down if need be.

The only way this strategy doesn't really work is if Leinart's truly awful when he comes in (I'd expect him to be at least decent fantasy-wise even if he struggles ala Kerry Collins in Oakland or Bledsoe in Dallas) or if AZ implements a QBBC again like Whisenhunt did at the start of his first season as head coach.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:42 pm

My team is injured wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Warner reminds me of Priest Holmes right before the end. I've got a bad feeling about the guy this year. If you've got this guy as a QB1 (almost guaranteed that you will) I think you should drop an early pick on a high QB2. It should be good while it lasts, but then again they still have a very expensive Matt Leinart waiting to come in to get another chance (and fail again).

I don't think you necessarily need to burn an early 2nd pick on a QB. In larger bench leagues, you can simply draft Leinart late as your backup QB. This will guarantee you get AZ's QB points and while Leinart has looked mediocre to date in his career, I'd be okay rolling with him in fantasy in most leagues if Warner got hurt as he still has Fitz and Boldin to throw to. In smaller bench leagues, there are generally good free agent QBs available (warner and rogers were both FAs in many leagues early last year) and you can always claim Leinart if Warner goes down if need be.

The only way this strategy doesn't really work is if Leinart's truly awful when he comes in (I'd expect him to be at least decent fantasy-wise even if he struggles ala Kerry Collins in Oakland or Bledsoe in Dallas) or if AZ implements a QBBC again like Whisenhunt did at the start of his first season as head coach.

Matt Leinart is clearly nowhere near Warner for fantasy or real life purposes. The guy is a borderline QB2 until he proves otherwise IMO. When the guy started a couple years ago he was a below average fantasy option even with the receiving options he has in place there. Couple that with the reoprts that Leinart is lazy, doesn't do the film study, training, etc. that all the top professionals do... things are not looking bright for the guy. I've read reports that Leinart just doesn't care anymore now that he is already a multi-millionaire and is content to hold the clipboard and cash the paycheck.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:22 pm

smfowler wrote:The only thing I worry about is the Cards run game. If they can't establish some sort of running attack then Warner will definately be doomed.

The Cardinals ran fewer times than any team in the league last year and Warner still put up fantastic numbers, so that's definitely not true.

Ironically, aside from possible injury/aging concerns (which I'm not overly concerned about), my main concern with Warner is what happens if the Cardinals' running game actually becomes effective because that would actually hurt his statistics, not help them.

The Cardinals ran the ball a lot more in the playoffs (28 attempts per game) than in the regular season (21.25 attempts per game). But the reason Kurt Warner still put up awesome stats in the playoffs was because the Cardinals only averaged 3.3 yards per carry in the playoffs, which made it impossible for Arizona to win without big numbers from Warner.

Considering how effectively the Cardinals moved the ball in the playoffs, I'd expect them to continue trying to run the ball a lot even if their YPC is low. However, if Hightower and Wells can up Arizona's YPC to 4.0 or above, that will definitely take yardage opportunities away from Warner because teams will always lean on an effective running game over an effective passing game due to increased time of possession and decreased turnovers.

If that actually happens, Warner won't come anywhere close to the 4500 yards he threw for in the regular season last year. It's a big if though.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk