The TE Land Grab drafting strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The TE Land Grab drafting strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The TE Land Grab drafting strategy

Postby joejlitz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:59 am

Why is it called "Land Grab" anyway?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 pm

joejlitz wrote:Why is it called "Land Grab" anyway?

How else would you describe grabbing as much/often as possible on a first come, first serve basis in under 8 letters? :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:53 pm

biju wrote:

How else would you describe grabbing as much/often as possible on a first come, first serve basis in under 8 letters? :-D

get 'em all ???
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby eagles21 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:41 pm

joejlitz wrote:
biju wrote:

get 'em all ???

Too many syllables. :-b
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:56 pm

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/landgrab

The term dates back to the 1860's, when there were often scrambles to make claims on land that was being offered up by the Federal Government to encourage settlement in newly opened land. The great Oklahoma land rush of 1889 if probably the best known example of a land grab.

Now sometimes used as a generic term for attempting to acquire all or almost all of a scarce resource in a competitive situation, even if you can't use all of the resource yourself.

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:04 pm

joejlitz wrote:
biju wrote:

get 'em all ???

'hoarding'
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby biju » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:28 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
biju wrote:

get 'em all ???

'hoarding'

I like it. It's also 8 characters instead of 9 (depending on if you use a space or not). Also much more descriptive...

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Wenchtamer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:03 pm

"Monopoly" would work too.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby justinj312 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 am

A couple of years ago I took 2 TE's (Winslow and Cooley) and will never do it again. I used up 2 roster spots and always seemed to play the wrong guy at the wrong time. Plus trading wasn't a great option b/c all the other teams knew I wanted to get rid of one them and were always low-balling me.

I like depth of the TE this year. I think I'll pick a Celek or Z Miller or Keller or Carlson in rd 13 and then watch the waiver wire.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:33 am

Yup, not a huge fan of this - at least, not intentionally. I do find that in the "flex" spots, there are positions whose value get overlooked because owners categorize players by position - not by lineup. Here is a generalization of what I do with flex spots.

I do a traditional board, separating each position. Then I do another board combining the positions that can be started in the flex position. During the draft when looking at the combined rankings, if a player can be played in two of your OPEN lineup spots, he would take precedent over a player that could only be played in one roster spot. In other words in your league, there may be more value in drafting a Witten rather than P. Rivers because Witten can play in TE or flex and Rivers can only play in QB.

Now, there are two quirks to this. First of all, in your combined list, WRs are typically going to be far more productive than even the best TEs. Which means you will probably fill at least one WR spot before you see the value of taking a TE. The second is that once you draft a TE, now that lineup spot is filled - so you won't draft for your flex spot typically until all your other positions (except K and DEF, of course) are filled.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be opposed to having two premier TEs if it played out that way, but I don't really envision a scenario where that would be in your best interest. If a RB3 is more productive than a TE2 and you can play either in the flex, why would you draft the one that is less productive?

Interesting scenario, though. I enjoyed thinking this one through.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk