20 Teams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

20 Teams

Moderator: Football Moderators

20 Teams

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:54 pm

What do you do if you have 20 teams? I don't like the idea of a 20 team league, but what are some good alternatives? Two leagues with combined final? Any ideas are welcome.
rjforlife
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 20 Teams

Postby biju » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:36 pm

rjforlife wrote:What do you do if you have 20 teams? I don't like the idea of a 20 team league, but what are some good alternatives? Two leagues with combined final? Any ideas are welcome.

You certainly could do two 10 team leagues. Take the top 4 teams from each league and put them into a 3 week playoff setting. I'd probably set up the playoffs like so:

Game 1:
League A - Seed 1 vs. League B - Seed 4

Game 2:
League B - Seed 2 vs. League A - Seed 3

Game 3:
League A - Seed 2 vs. League B - Seed 3

Game 4:
League B - Seed 1 vs. League A - Seed 4

Second round has the winners of games 1 & 2 play and then games 3 & 4 play instead of trying to do something "fancy" like highest seed vs. lowest seed as the NFL does it. Anyway, just a thought...

If you *did* decide to do a 20 team league you need to make sure that there's only 1 RB and 1 WR required in your lineup and that most of the lineup is flex, otherwise you're going to have people starting Caddy hoping for 5 carries and garbage like that.

:~(
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:03 pm

I did Behrens' 20-team Cafe Challenge league last year. I don't recommend it unless you either shrink the lineups or want any player who has a modicum of fantasy value (Jackie Battle is one I can remember that was picked up last year) to be owned.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby spodog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:51 pm

If you are up on mfl.com, go with a 20 team league, structured as two 10 team conferences. Each conference gets it's own player pool to draft from.

This way, you can use a more standard starting lineup configuration and not be dipping too deep onto NFL benches to find someone to put in your starting lineup (Jackie Battle?!?)

You then have a bunch of options about your schedule to chooose from. I'd recommend playing at least some inter-conference games, adds a good twist to the lineup decisions.

Then take your top 3 from each conference to the playoffs, for a 6 team playoff, giving the top seed in each conference a first week playoff Bye.

;-D
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:56 am

You have to have some gimmicks. PPR is a must, I also would reccomend individual yardage pts awarded for kick returns. This explands the number of players who will have a scoring impact. Mostly you have to have great owners who are willing to stick with what could be a long season.
Better if you could find 4 more teams and have two 12-team conferences.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk