Tips for 16 team league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tips for 16 team league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tips for 16 team league?

Postby coma » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm trying out a 16 team league this year. I usually play in shallower leagues so I was wondering if there is any specific strategy to follow? (PPR league)
coma
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tips for 16 team league?

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:10 am

There's really never a specific strategy to follow in any type of draft as you need to be able to read the flow of your draft as no two drafts are alike. However, you gave us that it was a 16 team league but we also need the starter requirements because that could sway the responses you get. For example, if it's a 2 QB league with 16 teams, then you would need to make sure that you get at least 1 QB in the first 2, maybe 3) rounds.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:51 am

Becuase you have more teams there will be more of a premium on QBs and TEs. Make sure you draft a high level QB and TE earlier than normal. You may end up going RB, WR, TE, QB. If you wait too long you could be scrambling for production from those spots.
You should show league setting for a better response. 2 WR, Flex? etc.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:30 pm

im in a 14 teamer each year that has to start 2 Rbs and has a WR/RB flex....so RBs are the premium...and you cant win unless you have plenty of them to get you through the season

so what i do is spend a majority of my bench on RBs. we have a 6 player bench...so i keep 1 extra QB, 1 extra WR, and 4 RBs. dont worry about preseason rankings on these RBs....just have a lot of them and hope they pan out. with bye weeks and injuries and it being a big league you will cherish every bench RB you have

also, liek i kind of said earlier, id draft 2 QBs. FA is going to suck being a big league...good to have a backup
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby coma » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Sorry guys, I should have listed my requirements. Our lineups are as follows:
QB
WR
WR
RB
RB
TE
W/R
DEF
K

Since it's a PPR league, should I try targeting a 3rd WR for my W/R position? I have the 8th pick (8, 25, 40, 57, 72...) and have begun scouting guys I want at each position. My main guy I would like in the 1st is Jackson. Then I'd go WR in the next round (hopefully Jennings/White/Owens/Welker). So you think after that I should look at Witten? That's the only TE I would feel comfortable drafting early. I do agree that QBs will be at a premium. Is that a position I should look for in the 3rd or do I reach for one at #25 instead of a WR?
coma
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Well there's a few things going on here and I'll try to touch on them all. First and foremost, thanks for posting the starting requirements. Secondly, there is never a "right" way to draft and you should never have a set in stone plan. It's good to have an idea but the minute a valuable player falls, you need to be ready to grab him and change your draft accordingly. With that being said, I would immediately say to pass on the early TE this year and let someone else spend that high pick on one unless a TE drastically falls. I would also have a rough plan of trying to have at least 3 RBs by the end of the 5th round, most likely 3 RBs and 2 WRs. By doing this you would have a RB to possibly use as your flex but more importantly you will have RB depth which will be hard to come by in a 16 team league for when one of your top 2 RBs inevitably gets hurt. As for QB, I wouldn't worry about the top QB either and would rather target them very late and pick 2 QBs in back to back rounds with favorable combined schedules and use the platoon approach. For TEs, I would look to target either one of the guys from say 4-8 or wait on a guy like Celek or VDavis.

So roughly, I would look at what would happen if you drafted something like this going off of recent ADP results, again remembering to take the value guy if he falls.

1 - RB (SJax, CJohnson, FGore)
2 - RB/WR (RBrown, Westy, LT or RWhite, SSmith, GJennings)
3 - RB/WR (DMac, KSmith or WWelker, TJ)
4 - WR/TE (VJackson, Ocho or Gates, DClark) - Only grab a TE if you have a WR already, otherwise you need your WR1 now.
5 - RB (FJones, LJ, DWard) - You should have at least 3 RBs by here.
6 - WR/TE - If a RB from above falls, grab him even if it gives you 4. If not, grab either your 2nd or 3rd WR or your TE here.
7 and on - Now you start filling things out with value players and fill in any holes you might have such as TE, 3rd WR, etc. And make sure you find about 4 bottom half QBs you would feel comfortable with and make sure you get at least 2 of them to rotate throughout the year based on matchups.
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Postby coma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 am

smackthefirst wrote:Well there's a few things going on here and I'll try to touch on them all. First and foremost, thanks for posting the starting requirements. Secondly, there is never a "right" way to draft and you should never have a set in stone plan. It's good to have an idea but the minute a valuable player falls, you need to be ready to grab him and change your draft accordingly. With that being said, I would immediately say to pass on the early TE this year and let someone else spend that high pick on one unless a TE drastically falls. I would also have a rough plan of trying to have at least 3 RBs by the end of the 5th round, most likely 3 RBs and 2 WRs. By doing this you would have a RB to possibly use as your flex but more importantly you will have RB depth which will be hard to come by in a 16 team league for when one of your top 2 RBs inevitably gets hurt. As for QB, I wouldn't worry about the top QB either and would rather target them very late and pick 2 QBs in back to back rounds with favorable combined schedules and use the platoon approach. For TEs, I would look to target either one of the guys from say 4-8 or wait on a guy like Celek or VDavis.

So roughly, I would look at what would happen if you drafted something like this going off of recent ADP results, again remembering to take the value guy if he falls.

4 - WR/TE (VJackson, Ocho or Gates, DClark) - Only grab a TE if you have a WR already, otherwise you need your WR1 now.
6 - WR/TE - If a RB from above falls, grab him even if it gives you 4. If not, grab either your 2nd or 3rd WR or your TE here.
7 and on - Now you start filling things out with value players and fill in any holes you might have such as TE, 3rd WR, etc. And make sure you find about 4 bottom half QBs you would feel comfortable with and make sure you get at least 2 of them to rotate throughout the year based on matchups.

Wow, very helpful and insightful! I appreciate it :-)
coma
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Timbathia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:04 am

smackthefirst wrote:Well there's a few things going on here and I'll try to touch on them all. First and foremost, thanks for posting the starting requirements. Secondly, there is never a "right" way to draft and you should never have a set in stone plan. It's good to have an idea but the minute a valuable player falls, you need to be ready to grab him and change your draft accordingly. With that being said, I would immediately say to pass on the early TE this year and let someone else spend that high pick on one unless a TE drastically falls. I would also have a rough plan of trying to have at least 3 RBs by the end of the 5th round, most likely 3 RBs and 2 WRs. By doing this you would have a RB to possibly use as your flex but more importantly you will have RB depth which will be hard to come by in a 16 team league for when one of your top 2 RBs inevitably gets hurt. As for QB, I wouldn't worry about the top QB either and would rather target them very late and pick 2 QBs in back to back rounds with favorable combined schedules and use the platoon approach. For TEs, I would look to target either one of the guys from say 4-8 or wait on a guy like Celek or VDavis.

While most of what smack says is good, there is no way that LJ or Derrick Ward fall to the 5th round in a 16 teamer. Felix may, but he is in a different tier IMO. Most of the reliable backs will be gone at the end of the 4th round, so if you want 3, then be targeting your third back in the 4th.

Also, in a 16 team league it can be useful when deciding between 1st/2nd round backs that you have ranked similarly to take someone with a clear backup (not RBBC, but obvious backup) that is not likely to be drafted early. For instance, Clinton Portis in the second round may be a good choice for you as you can get Ladell Betts cheaply later on, and you are protected against injury to Portis as Betts will score well as a starter. Guys like Chris Johnson and Deangelo Williams IMO are downgraded very slightly as if they are injured then their RBBC partner will pick up most of the slack (leaving you without a starter unless you paid a high price to draft LenDale or JStewart, for example). Westbrook may also fit the right description with McCoy being cheap to draft but highly likely to be worthwhile if Westy goes down). I wouldnt bother using this strategy in a 12 or 10 team league (I ignore handcuffsas a rule), but in a 16 teamer it is worth considering as you will have limted depth at RB and finding anything to get you points mid-season on the WW is a nightmare.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:41 pm

The larger the league, the more sense to makes to map out picks ahead of time to get an idea for what strategy you want to use. Look at your pick number and the extrapolate out the first 5 or 6 rounds and compare them to ADP to see who might be available at those picks. You might be surprised to find out that if you take a RB in round 2 there is absolute garbage left at WR in round 3. I think best player available in this type of league is warranted, especially with high scoring positions like QB. You can still grab value, but you have to be aware of all the other owners needs at each pick and what is likely to come back to you. You do not want to get stuck on the run side of a run in a large league like this.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby smackthefirst » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Timbathia wrote:

While most of what smack says is good, there is no way that LJ or Derrick Ward fall to the 5th round in a 16 teamer. Felix may, but he is in a different tier IMO. Most of the reliable backs will be gone at the end of the 4th round, so if you want 3, then be targeting your third back in the 4th.

Also, in a 16 team league it can be useful when deciding between 1st/2nd round backs that you have ranked similarly to take someone with a clear backup (not RBBC, but obvious backup) that is not likely to be drafted early. For instance, Clinton Portis in the second round may be a good choice for you as you can get Ladell Betts cheaply later on, and you are protected against injury to Portis as Betts will score well as a starter. Guys like Chris Johnson and Deangelo Williams IMO are downgraded very slightly as if they are injured then their RBBC partner will pick up most of the slack (leaving you without a starter unless you paid a high price to draft LenDale or JStewart, for example). Westbrook may also fit the right description with McCoy being cheap to draft but highly likely to be worthwhile if Westy goes down). I wouldnt bother using this strategy in a 12 or 10 team league (I ignore handcuffsas a rule), but in a 16 teamer it is worth considering as you will have limted depth at RB and finding anything to get you points mid-season on the WW is a nightmare.

Trust me timbathia, I didn't believe it either when I saw it. Since I'm not in many 16 teamers, I don't normally pay attention to the draft situations as much as I do in 12 teamers. But I was going off the ADP for real leagues from MFL and I was amazed to see how late some of the RBs were going. Here's some of the key RBs from the ADP rankings I just ran on MFL for 16 team redraft real (not mock) leagues:

LJ - 71
Ward - 72
Addai - 77
Parker - 85
Rice - 93
Benson - 94

Amazing right? What's odd is I know 12 team league drafts and MFL's ADP for those leagues is a pretty good representation so I have to assume that the 16 team results are also a pretty good representation. But I would agree that I wouldn't have expected those names to be available at those spots.
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk