Who do you like as a WR3? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who do you like as a WR3?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who do you like as a WR3?

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:28 pm

I just drafted in a 10 team cafe ppr league, both DeSean Jackson, and Lee Evans. I feel pretty comfortable alternating those 2 throughout the season as my 3rd WR. We start 3 , no flex , by the way. Who do you think fits the bill as some of the top contenders for a WR3?

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who do you like as a WR3?

Postby Stat Staterson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:01 pm

I play 12 teams with 3 WR and a flex. I'm probably looking to get Eddie Royal, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Anthony Gonzalez, Chad Ochocinco, or Lance Moore as my potential WR3.
Stat Staterson
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby biju » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Ok, well according to the Cafe PPR rankings and assuming a 12 team draft this is what we have from #25 - #37:

Cafe PPR Rankings wrote:Santana Moss
Jerricho Cotchery
DeSean Jackson
Chad Ocho Cinco
Hines Ward
Michael Crabtree
Derrick Mason
Donnie Avery
Laveranues Coles
Torry Holt
Donald Driver
Lance Moore
Kevin Walter

I picked 13 in light of Derrick Mason's retirement today as we can scratch him off the cheatsheet while he's entertaining retirement. Of the remaining I'd feel comfortable with Laveranues Coles, Chad Ochocino, Torry Holt and Hines Ward. I would be rather uncomfortable with Michael Crabtree (rookie), Jerricho Cotchery (being #1 wasn't kind to him), and Donnie Avery (the Rams intend to run the ball).

Furthermore...Lance Moore really did all his damage when Reggie Bush was out of the lineup...I think the lack of TDs will continue to plague DeSean Jackson...I'll never trust Santana Moss again but I think he's a solid WR3 for anyone else...I like Kevin Walter while teams double up Andre Johnson, but he takes a hit if AJ goes down...Donald Driver's wheels have to fall off sometime and I don't want to own and rely on him when they do.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:13 pm

I don't mind Santana Moss as a WR3. It's unlikely that we see such a poor stretch from him as we did last year; conversely, it's unlikely we see him explode like he did the first half of the year.

I also really like Devin Hester as a WR3 but he can often be had as a WR4 depending on how you draft.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:32 pm

Stat Staterson wrote:I play 12 teams with 3 WR and a flex. I'm probably looking to get Eddie Royal, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Anthony Gonzalez, Chad Ochocinco, or Lance Moore as my potential WR3.

In the mocks I've participated in, Edwards and Ochocinco have been drafted as WR2s, a couple of times as WR1s. Gonz has mostly been a WR2, though sometimes a WR3. Royal primarily has been drafted as WR3 and a few times as a WR2. Cotch has mostly been a WR3 and Moore a WR3, sometimes a WR4.

All these mocks have been non PPR.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby benb18a » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm

At WR20+(for 10 team leagues) I really like Royal, Marshall, Housh, Coles and Walter in PPR leagues. Ocho Cinco and Roy Williams aren't bad either, for their 1200/8+ upside, as they have both proved they can easily outprodce their ADP rankings so far.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
Stat Staterson wrote:I play 12 teams with 3 WR and a flex. I'm probably looking to get Eddie Royal, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Anthony Gonzalez, Chad Ochocinco, or Lance Moore as my potential WR3.

In the mocks I've participated in, Edwards and Ochocinco have been drafted as WR2s, a couple of times as WR1s. Gonz has mostly been a WR2, though sometimes a WR3. Royal primarily has been drafted as WR3 and a few times as a WR2. Cotch has mostly been a WR3 and Moore a WR3, sometimes a WR4.

All these mocks have been non PPR.

Yeah, just looking at the list quickly, I would be ecstatic if I was able to land Ocho as my WR3. I think his head is back where it needs to be this year, he is the clear cut best WR on the team, and I think Palmer has a bounce back year. Ocho is one WR that I am trying to target in a few drafts this year with this in mind. Of course, since it is Ocho after all, I have to temper my expectations because we all know when the train goes off the tracks in Cincy, it goes way off the tracks.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Roy Williams for the Cowboys.

Obviously it's going to be risky if you have to rely on him for more then anything, it's possible it could go both ways, but if he's your WR3 this year then your going to be a lucky guy...Say what you want about Roy but he'll be a monster in that spot with high potential each week and you would probably have another stud or two already at WR.

I want upside as my WR3, not consistency, if I wanted consistency I'd take Patrick Crayton or Anthony Gonzalez, I go upside so I'll shoot for Roy W and guys like Santonio Holmes and Vincent Jackson.

I could see an argument taking Jackson over Roy W as a WR3 or in drafts in general, as he should explode next year also, but his stock may be putting him out of range for a WR3 not really sure at the moment.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:14 am

one thing to consider, your WR3 doesnt have to be a 24th ranked or higher WR. in a 10 or 12 team 2 RB, 3 WR league, i'm more apt to come out of the 1st 4 rounds with 1 RB and 3 Top 15 WR and look for my RB 2 later in the draft.

it seems to be a lot easier to find a breakout RB than it does WR. especially when injuries occur throughout the year, because good producing RB's are often based on situation wheras good producing WR are more based on talent...rarely is a 4th/5th string WR going to come in and make an impact, but we've seen countless practice squad RB's come in and tear it up
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby My team is injured » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:03 pm

smackthefirst wrote:Yeah, just looking at the list quickly, I would be ecstatic if I was able to land Ocho as my WR3. I think his head is back where it needs to be this year, he is the clear cut best WR on the team, and I think Palmer has a bounce back year. Ocho is one WR that I am trying to target in a few drafts this year with this in mind.

Agreed. He's easily my top target out of WRs in the 20-35 ADP range.

benb18a wrote:At WR20+(for 10 team leagues) I really like Royal, Marshall, Housh, Coles and Walter in PPR leagues.

In what leagues is Marshall ranked that low? Even without Cutler, I can't see him not going in the top 20 wideouts.

LS2throwed wrote:I want upside as my WR3, not consistency, if I wanted consistency I'd take Patrick Crayton or Anthony Gonzalez, I go upside so I'll shoot for Roy W and guys like Santonio Holmes and Vincent Jackson.

I could see an argument taking Jackson over Roy W as a WR3 or in drafts in general, as he should explode next year also, but his stock may be putting him out of range for a WR3 not really sure at the moment.

Agree on Roy Williams if you can nab him as your WR3 but I just don't see the upside with Jackson. There are only so many balls to go around among LT, Sproles, Gates, Chambers, Jackson, and even a guy like Floyd. And Vincent Jackson doesn't pose any more matchup problems than Gates or even Floyd does. I just can't see projecting him that high, especially in PPR leagues, for him to be worth picking him where his ADP has him going.

Dan Lambskin wrote:one thing to consider, your WR3 doesnt have to be a 24th ranked or higher WR. in a 10 or 12 team 2 RB, 3 WR league, i'm more apt to come out of the 1st 4 rounds with 1 RB and 3 Top 15 WR and look for my RB 2 later in the draft.

it seems to be a lot easier to find a breakout RB than it does WR. especially when injuries occur throughout the year, because good producing RB's are often based on situation wheras good producing WR are more based on talent...rarely is a 4th/5th string WR going to come in and make an impact, but we've seen countless practice squad RB's come in and tear it up

Ssshhh. We don't want more owners drafting wideouts early, it would ruin the benefits for the rest of us ;-D
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk