Who do you like as a WR3? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who do you like as a WR3?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Who do you like as a WR3?

Postby smackthefirst » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:13 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Roy Williams for the Cowboys.

Obviously it's going to be risky if you have to rely on him for more then anything, it's possible it could go both ways, but if he's your WR3 this year then your going to be a lucky guy...Say what you want about Roy but he'll be a monster in that spot with high potential each week and you would probably have another stud or two already at WR.

I want upside as my WR3, not consistency, if I wanted consistency I'd take Patrick Crayton or Anthony Gonzalez, I go upside so I'll shoot for Roy W and guys like Santonio Holmes and Vincent Jackson.

I could see an argument taking Jackson over Roy W as a WR3 or in drafts in general, as he should explode next year also, but his stock may be putting him out of range for a WR3 not really sure at the moment.

I'd love to get Roy as my WR3. The problem is that I can't get a good feel for where Roy is going (or will be going) in drafts as the season draws closer. I've seen him ranked as high as the 14th WR (NFL.com) which is insane to me but we all know how people can follow rankings like they are the law.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:54 pm

You almost have to be drafting a certain way and in a certain spot (earlier in the draft) and taking 3 WRs from rounds 2-4 to land Roy or Chad as a WR3. Those guys usually don't last past 5.2 or 5.3 in a 10 teamer. If you take them early 4th, there's a good chance your passing up a higher ranked player at another position in order to secure them as a 3rd WR, and in which case you are likely counting on your 5th and 6th round picks to bear you a RB2.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Azrael wrote:You almost have to be drafting a certain way and in a certain spot (earlier in the draft) and taking 3 WRs from rounds 2-4 to land Roy or Chad as a WR3. Those guys usually don't last past 5.2 or 5.3 in a 10 teamer. If you take them early 4th, there's a good chance your passing up a higher ranked player at another position in order to secure them as a 3rd WR, and in which case you are likely counting on your 5th and 6th round picks to bear you a RB2.

If you take two RB's first, then follow with 3 WR's Roy could be there as your WR 3 and you already have to stable RB's before that so I don't really see how you would lose any value...In every situation he won't end up being drafted like that, and sometimes guys end up your WR3 in keeper leagues depending on who you keep, I just think if he ends up in that position he'll be a huge bonus to a line-up.

The problem is that I can't get a good feel for where Roy is going (or will be going) in drafts as the season draws closer.

I really can't either, I think he'll be all over the place depending which draft and owner takes him where, but I do think it's a possibility to land him as a WR3.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 pm

This is really a terrible question to ask, because it completely depends on how you choose to draft, the rest of your team, league rules, etc. I could see drafts falling to me such that I end up getting my 3rd WR by Round 4. I could alos see drafts ending up falling where i get my 3rd WR in round 8 or 9. It just depends on how the draft goes. Obviously, the WRs I "like" in Round 4 will be very very different than the WR i want to grab in round 8 or round 9; I just hate the "RB2" or "WR3" question; I think it should be phrased as "which WR do you like that could be avaliable around pick x (in this situation, I'm assuming we're talking about pick 60 or so?)

But to bite at the question, If i'm picking (12 team league) my 3rd WR in round 5, I'll take Ochocinco. Otherwise, I'm waiting a while and hopping on Santana Moss in round 7 or 8, as I'll already have a very solid team. If I'm in a 2 QB league and I don't like any of the WR, I might even wait until round 9 (maybe 10 if I get lucky) and snag Kevin Walter.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:45 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:This is really a terrible question to ask, because it completely depends on how you choose to draft, the rest of your team, league rules, etc. I could see drafts falling to me such that I end up getting my 3rd WR by Round 4. I could alos see drafts ending up falling where i get my 3rd WR in round 8 or 9. It just depends on how the draft goes. Obviously, the WRs I "like" in Round 4 will be very very different than the WR i want to grab in round 8 or round 9; I just hate the "RB2" or "WR3" question; I think it should be phrased as "which WR do you like that could be avaliable around pick x (in this situation, I'm assuming we're talking about pick 60 or so?)

But to bite at the question, If i'm picking (12 team league) my 3rd WR in round 5, I'll take Ochocinco. Otherwise, I'm waiting a while and hopping on Santana Moss in round 7 or 8, as I'll already have a very solid team. If I'm in a 2 QB league and I don't like any of the WR, I might even wait until round 9 (maybe 10 if I get lucky) and snag Kevin Walter.

I had an interesting idea based on this post.

Say you're picking 5.05 in a 12 team draft. Let's also say that when it comes time for your pick that the following has happened:

Players Taken
QB: Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, Warner. Possible other picks before your pick are McNabb and Romo
TE: Witten, Gate, Gonzalez. Possible other picks before your pick is Clark.
D and K: None taken.

This means 43 players from the RBs and WRs pools are gone. Let's use the Cafe rankings for this just for clarity as well.

Immediately cut out the top 18 RBs and the top 14 WRs.

This means if the RB in the left column is taken, the WR on the same line is available; if the WR in the right column is taken, the RB on the same line is available.
Code: Select all
RBs               WRs
----------------  -----------------
Chris Wells       Jerricho Cotchery
Darren McFadden   Santana Moss
Jonathan Stewart  Santonio Holmes
Joseph Addai      Bernard Berrian
Pierre Thomas     Eddie Royal
Derrick Ward      Roy Williams
Willie Parker     Antonio Bryant
Thomas Jones      Anthony Gonzalez
Larry Johnson     Lee Evans
Felix Jones       Braylon Edwards
Ray Rice          Vincent Jackson
Donald Brown      Terrell Owens

So the question now is, where do you draw the line where it switches over from being an obvious choice one way or the other?

For example, I start thinking that I'd rather have that RB up to about Pierre Thomas and then I would clearly pick WRs instead of their RB counterpart.

Anyway, just thought it might be a fun way to look at who would *actually* be available. I suppose as a side note, the QBs and TE that just missed being drafted would be in play too...

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Lance Moore is my primary WR3 target this offseason. I also like Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson if they are falling into the 6th+ rounds. If I miss those guys, hopefully I grabbed a very strong 1/2 and then start looking at Chris Chambers, Nate Burleson, Hixon, Bennett. Grab a bunch of WR4/5 gambles and slot them in at WR3. I don't think you need to go into the season with a locked down WR3 spot, thus the gamble on a high upside guy like Moore in the first place. You can always get waiver wire fill in WRs IMO, and if you grab a bunch of gambles at the draft you are likely to have at least one hit. Just gotta make sure you don't wait too long and miss out on your value picks because at least one or two other owners will have the same ideas about some of these guys.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 pm

biju wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:This is really a terrible question to ask, because it completely depends on how you choose to draft, the rest of your team, league rules, etc. I could see drafts falling to me such that I end up getting my 3rd WR by Round 4. I could alos see drafts ending up falling where i get my 3rd WR in round 8 or 9. It just depends on how the draft goes. Obviously, the WRs I "like" in Round 4 will be very very different than the WR i want to grab in round 8 or round 9; I just hate the "RB2" or "WR3" question; I think it should be phrased as "which WR do you like that could be avaliable around pick x (in this situation, I'm assuming we're talking about pick 60 or so?)

I had an interesting idea based on this post.

Say you're picking 5.05 in a 12 team draft. Let's also say that when it comes time for your pick that the following has happened:

Players Taken
QB: Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, Warner. Possible other picks before your pick are McNabb and Romo
TE: Witten, Gate, Gonzalez. Possible other picks before your pick is Clark.
D and K: None taken.

This means 43 players from the RBs and WRs pools are gone. Let's use the Cafe rankings for this just for clarity as well.

Immediately cut out the top 18 RBs and the top 14 WRs.

This means if the RB in the left column is taken, the WR on the same line is available; if the WR in the right column is taken, the RB on the same line is available.
Code: Select all
RBs               WRs
----------------  -----------------
Chris Wells       Jerricho Cotchery
Darren McFadden   Santana Moss
Jonathan Stewart  Santonio Holmes
Joseph Addai      Bernard Berrian
Pierre Thomas     Eddie Royal
Derrick Ward      Roy Williams
Willie Parker     Antonio Bryant
Thomas Jones      Anthony Gonzalez
Larry Johnson     Lee Evans
Felix Jones       Braylon Edwards
Ray Rice          Vincent Jackson
Donald Brown      Terrell Owens

So the question now is, where do you draw the line where it switches over from being an obvious choice one way or the other?

For example, I start thinking that I'd rather have that RB up to about Pierre Thomas and then I would clearly pick WRs instead of their RB counterpart.

Anyway, just thought it might be a fun way to look at who would *actually* be available. I suppose as a side note, the QBs and TE that just missed being drafted would be in play too...

;-D

I agree with that analysis, though my "rankings" would be a little different in that area than the Cafe's, but I guess I'd probably take RB24 or WR22 at that spot, if I'm not too concerned whether or not I get an RB or WR at this point.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinj312 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:40 am

Kensat30 wrote:Lance Moore is my primary WR3 target this offseason. I also like Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson if they are falling into the 6th+ rounds. If I miss those guys, hopefully I grabbed a very strong 1/2 and then start looking at Chris Chambers, Nate Burleson, Hixon, Bennett. Grab a bunch of WR4/5 gambles and slot them in at WR3. I don't think you need to go into the season with a locked down WR3 spot, thus the gamble on a high upside guy like Moore in the first place. You can always get waiver wire fill in WRs IMO, and if you grab a bunch of gambles at the draft you are likely to have at least one hit. Just gotta make sure you don't wait too long and miss out on your value picks because at least one or two other owners will have the same ideas about some of these guys.

I know with good research one can almost always find a good WR3 off the waiver wire any given week (but not a RB2). Not that you don't need WR depth, but I wouldn't reach for it in the middle rounds.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk