Later Round RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Later Round RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Later Round RBs

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:58 am

I've done a number of mocks- I know what RBs people like from that are ranked 20-40 based on the Cafe's redraft rankings. Stelly's thread was very helpful.

What I'd love to know is who people are considering for late-round RBs, guys ranked 41 to 65 in the Cafe's RB redraft rankings. If a player isn't even listed at all, well, please throw say them too!

Me?

I'm a Fred Taylor fan. He's productive and NE has shown they can squeeze production out of RB vets, like Corey Dillon. Jerious Norwood is explosive and will reportedly get more touches to save Burner. Even if it's not as many as some hope, he can have significant impact with extremely limited touches. Shonn Greene is a power back who, if Thomas Jones Leon Washington hold out for any more significant amount of time, could earn the starting spot with a spectacular offensive line blocking for him. Michael Bush is a talented back and appears fully recuperated from his injury from his last year in college. TJ Duckett is a TD monster who last was a FF force when new Seahawks OC Gregg Knapp was with Duckett in Atlanta. Andre Brown is a talented back who better complements (and steps in for) Brandon Jacobs than Ahmad Bradshaw.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Later Round RBs

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 am

Personally, there are a few fliers that I'm taking chances on this year.

Willis McGahee - Even though he just misses your list at number 40, he is heads and tails above the other guys I'm about to cover. I just don't buy into the fact that he's done in Baltimore just yet and I think that he, as long as he stays healthy, is the best back in Baltimore.

FJackson - This is an odd selection and solely because of Lynch's 2-3 suspension. In a PPR league, FJackson could prove the be very valuable for those first couple of games. And if he produces well enough, I see him staying in the mix more than most anticipate in Buffalo this season.

TJ Duckett - I love the value here. At worst I see TJ as a TD vulture for JJones and at best I see him as the lesser half of a RBBC. But with where he's going in mocks so far; I think the potential TDs, especially playing in the NFC West and with Knapp back in the picture, makes drafting him at his current ADP worth the risk.

Maroney - We disagree slightly on this one as I think Maroney is the RB to have in NE this year, but just based on value. The way I see it is that Maroney is going horribly late in drafts and less than 2 seasons ago, he was a first round pick. This year is make or break for Maroney in NE. At best, he produces and becomes on of the steals of the draft. At worst, he becomes their 4th RB and does nothing but I wasted nothing more than a late round flier on him. The chance is most likely going to be worth it to me.

Bernard Scott - I just can't put any faith in Benson for some reason but I can't really explain why. But if my lack of faith in Benson proves to be correct, then I think Scott has the best chance to profit from Benson's failure. He is a late round flier that I'm trying to grab in all my leagues.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:26 am

Sammy Morris - likely to see the goal-line carries in NE, but with so many backs it's hard to tell how many times he'll carry otherwise

Ahmad Bradshaw i also like Andre Brown...hard to tell how things will shake out, but the Giants will run A LOT

Lamont Jordan should get carries on the goal-line in Denver. also a crowded backfield...Buckhalter and Torain could have some value as well

Jerome Harrison/James Davis - Jamal Lewis is old, but Cleveland sucks, so hard to tell how much value either of them would have

Bernard Scott agree with others

Rashad Jennings i'm not sold on Greg Jones, so Rashad could be the one to spell MJD on a Jags team with a revamped O-line that will likely run a ton
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Stelly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:22 am

A lot of these depend on how things shake out in training camp, and where players fall on depth charts.

Rashard Mendenhall - If he has a good camp and impresses people, he could be the MBIII to Willie Parker's Julius Jones. Gets maybe a third of the carries, but gets all the short yardage/goalline carries. And Pittsburgh loves them some running game. There are lots of people fighting for carries here (FWP, Mendenhall, Moore), so keep an eye on camp.

Ahmad Bradshaw/Andre Brown - Bradshaw will have value on his own. The Giants will run and run, and have a great o-line. Bradsha will spell Jacobs, and be productive in that role. Brown could be the guy who fills in from Jacobs if/when he gets hurt. The Giants GM has said Bradshaw wil get most of the touches if Jacobs goes down, but Brown is more similar in style to Jacobs. Again, pay attention to camp.

Fred Jackson - I think FJax's role will increase this year. He'll see alot in the first 3 weeks with Lynch suspended, but even after, he'll get some good playing time. Great receiver out of the backfield, and has seen time at WR in OTAs as Buffalo transitions to a no-huddle. He and Lynch may see many plays on the field together.

Willis McGahee - Again, watch how camp progresses. He may be the primary ball carrier in Baltimore, or he may play second fiddle to Rice (or even McLain). Who knows. Lots of people fighting for carries here.

Shonn Greene - Love this guy, especially in keeper leagues. I think he may turn into a TD vulture this season, and possibly leading the NYJ rushing attack by the end of the season. With Jones and Washington in contract squables, Greene has a great chance to impress this year, and likely will start for the Jets next season.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mikus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Jerious Norwood man. If the curse of 370 strikes again, Norwood is going to be a beast in that offense.

And if the curse does not strike, he at least makes nice trade bait to the Turner owner.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby mattUTD20 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:35 pm

mikus wrote:Jerious Norwood man. If the curse of 370 strikes again, Norwood is going to be a beast in that offense.

And if the curse does not strike, he at least makes nice trade bait to the Turner owner.

The Norwood bandwagon has lost quite a few followers over the last couple years, but Jerious is going to drive the faithful few to the promised land this year ;-D ;-D ;-D
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 011472 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Michael Bush- I think he's got the most nfl- ready talent in Oakland's backfield. He'll earn more carries with Fargas getting phased out, and if DMC goes down again, he could be a beast.

Mendenhall- I'm targeting him in all of my keeper leagues. Should be the starter for Pitt in 2010, which would probably make him a second round pick in my eyes.

McGahee- I agree with the above. He's healthy to start the season and I think he'll get 60% of the carries in Cam Cameron's Baltimore offense. Could be a huge steal.

Green and McCoy- I'm having trouble differentiating the two, but both could become keeper gold due to age and contract concerns in NY and injuries in Philly.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Norwood, Charles, Bush, Choice

I don't consider Mendy nor McGahee apart of this group as they go much earlier.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Return to Football Talk