fantasy football newbie here needs some advice. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

fantasy football newbie here needs some advice.

Moderator: Football Moderators

fantasy football newbie here needs some advice.

Postby lacunacoiler » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:32 am

well i usually only play fantasy basketball and i consider myself an above average manager, but when it comes to other fantasy sports im still a newbie.. its been like 5years since i have played fantasy football, and this season would only be my 2nd season playing it, so im gonna be rusty when it comes to terms and strats on fantasy football..

so can anyone give me advice regarding this questions:

1) so which time of the fantasy football season you prefer to draft: the time when registration becomes available or 10 days before the start of the NFL regular season??? the reason i always asked this question coz i always wonder the skill level of managers joining at that time.. i think that managers who sign up early are talented vets coz they have done their homework and has alot of time to readjust their roster based on what transactions happens in the NFL prior to the start of the regular season, while managers who sign up late maybe are just casual managers who didnt have enough time to prepare and decided to just join to have something else to do.. i maybe wrong but these are just my theories..

2) so what's your draft strategy on the 1st 3 rounds in a 12team-league with 2-qb starter, 12team-league with 1 starting qb, 10team-league with 2starting qb, & 10team-league with 1starting qb??

3) same as above, except when you are drafting in the middle pack??

4) same as question 2, but when you are drafting on the last 3 picks??

5) and any general fantasy football do's & don't....

i know this is too much to ask, but since it is free to ask help in here why should anyone like me hesitate to do so... :-D
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: fantasy football newbie here needs some advice.

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 am

lacunacoiler wrote: well i usually only play fantasy basketball and i consider myself an above average manager, but when it comes to other fantasy sports im still a newbie.. its been like 5years since i have played fantasy football, and this season would only be my 2nd season playing it, so im gonna be rusty when it comes to terms and strats on fantasy football..

so can anyone give me advice regarding this questions:

1) so which time of the fantasy football season you prefer to draft: the time when registration becomes available or 10 days before the start of the NFL regular season??? the reason i always asked this question coz i always wonder the skill level of managers joining at that time.. i think that managers who sign up early are talented vets coz they have done their homework and has alot of time to readjust their roster based on what transactions happens in the NFL prior to the start of the regular season, while managers who sign up late maybe are just casual managers who didnt have enough time to prepare and decided to just join to have something else to do.. i maybe wrong but these are just my theories..

2) so what's your draft strategy on the 1st 3 rounds in a 12team-league with 2-qb starter, 12team-league with 1 starting qb, 10team-league with 2starting qb, & 10team-league with 1starting qb??

3) same as above, except when you are drafting in the middle pack??

4) same as question 2, but when you are drafting on the last 3 picks??

5) and any general fantasy football do's & don't....

i know this is too much to ask, but since it is free to ask help in here why should anyone like me hesitate to do so... :-D

Welcome to the football side ;-D

1 - I think it is the other way around. The early draft are those looking to get some draft experience, trends or newbies. While most vets tend to draft as close to the start of the season as possible. There is no fun in playing a league that drafts early, only to have your #1 pick get hurt in pre-season.

2 - For starters I am a RB guy, that means I try to get as many solid RBs as possible and as often as I can. With that said, I do not go into a draft with a set position being draft at a particular round. I tend to go with the flow of the draft and based on my VBD sheets.
12team-league with 2-qb starter - 2 RBs and 1 QB
12team-league with 1 starting qb - 2 RBs and 1 WR
10team-league with 2starting qb - 2 RBs and 1 QB
10team-league with 1starting qb - 2 RBs and 1 WR

3 - same as 2

4 - same as 2

5 - Do read this and the other forums here at the FFC ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:20 am

Best thing for you to do is get some practice and you can see what strategy works best for you depending on where you are gonna draft. Try out a mock (or 2 or 10!). Here's a decent site, but I'm sure there are many that work great: Mock Draft Central
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby lacunacoiler » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:26 pm

i got a last question though....

which cats are the easiest to win & which cats are the most difficult to win for both non-idp leagues & idp-included leagues???
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:23 am

lacunacoiler wrote:i got a last question though....

which cats are the easiest to win & which cats are the most difficult to win for both non-idp leagues & idp-included leagues???

Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer will help for the Bengals and Calvin Johnson for the Lions. I don't know any other teams with cats for mascots. B-)

Seriously, that's a pretty big question. Your best bet there is to look for some of the rankings articles that will be published here shortly at the Cafe or to buy a magazine and see how they list the best IDP players.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Beginner's Forum