Debate: The three-headed rookie WR monster - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Debate: The three-headed rookie WR monster

Moderator: Football Moderators

Debate: The three-headed rookie WR monster

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Most anyone who has drafted in the middle of the first round of their rookie draft has been faced with a decision that I find nearly impossible to sort out. It all boils down to taking Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin and Percy Harvin. Everyone I talk to has these three ranked in a different order, so which will be the best WR both this year and down the road?

Hakeem Nicks: For the longest time, I had Nicks ranked at the top of this trio. The Giants have very little in the way of reliable receiver on their roster. Nicks is big enough and has the potential to become a starting fixture in the offense sooner rather than later. However, many others have Nicks ranked third of the three. Struggling to understand why.

Jeremy Maclin: A speedy guy who finds himself in a pass-heavy offense with a better QB (in my opinion) than Nicks. The problem I see with Maclin is that DeSean Jackson proved last season that he's no fluke. Brian Westbrook will also draw a lot of passes his direction, and my gut feeling is that TE Celek will become a regular part of the passing scheme, too. Not sure Maclin will be a huge this season because of all this. However, McNabb's future in Philly and the NFL in general always seems up for debate, as well.

Percy Harvin: Seems to be the chic choice for a lot of people. Many feel that he is a lightning rod of talent and will explode early on the NFL scene. Of course, at very best he'll see WR2 attention since Bernard Berrian is the proven WR1 in that offense. Adrian Peterson will get his carries and receptions, too. However, gaining Brett Favre (basically just a formality at this point) has to improve his chances for this year to be successful .. but then again, what about his long-term value? Seems as though the Vikings are trying to incorporate Harvin into the offensive scheme wherever they can (including as a wildcat QB), which is encouraging, but Harvin also brings a lot of baggage in attitude and injury concerns. Seems a little too high risk/high reward to be taking with confidence ahead of Nicks and Maclin ... right??
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Debate: The three-headed rookie WR monster

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:55 pm

For right now I'd go Maclin, Harvin, Nicks. Simply because Maclin will get to return kicks, and is the most talented of the bunch, IMO. Harvin is on a Minnesota offense, that revolves around AP, no matter who is the QB. And Nicks is on a team that loves to run with Jacobs, and Manning is not the best passer in the world.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:02 pm

mrblitz wrote:For right now I'd go Maclin, Harvin, Nicks. Simply because Maclin will get to return kicks, and is the most talented of the bunch, IMO. Harvin is on a Minnesota offense, that revolves around AP, no matter who is the QB. And Nicks is on a team that loves to run with Jacobs, and Manning is not the best passer in the world.

That's what makes this question so interesting, in my opinion -- simply because many I've asked straight-up are enthralled with Harvin because he allegedly, in their minds, is the most talented of the bunch. I've heard similar things about Nicks. Not everyone gets points for kick returns yardage and scoring (at least not for the individual player). Also, with Maclin returning kicks, does that open him up to potentially more injury concerns??
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Well I think this thread may turn into more of a confirmation of the differences of opinions that exist, which is unfortunate for you. But I personally have them as:

Harvin - Bottom line to me is that you can't teach talent. His biggest drawback is his off the field issues which I personally think he will grow past with the right people around him. Of course, more times than not, young players have not been able to get past those issues or surround themselves with the right people. But I realize that while Harvin was at Florida, he was able to stay in line (for the most part) and I think it's his down time that causes problems. However, the sheer talent of Harvin makes the risk worth taking for the potential reward. I also think that having a player the caliber of AP already in Minny is a good thing as Harvin will never be "the go to guy" and the lack or pressure should allow him to grow and learn in an easier manner.

Nicks - Quite simply, he has the best relative situation. NY needs a WR plain and simple and Nicks has all the ability and opportunity to be that WR. Yes, Eli is not the most amazing QB and, yes, NY is a run first team with Jacobs; but these things also mean that Nicks, like Harvin, will not have too much pressure on him. However, Nicks may come in viewed as the number 1 WR and that's more pressure than even Harvin will be dealing with. Nicks also does not have the physical tools that Harvin does.

Maclin - Here is my head scratcher. I think Maclin is a better athlete than Nicks. I think he is more mentally prepared for the NFL game and lifestyle that comes along with it. But yet I have him as the 3rd guy out of the three. Why you ask. Simply because he is in Philly which I think is his biggest drawback. While I agree that McNabb is better than Eli and one would think that Maclin would be able to benefit from the other stars on the offense taking the pressure off of him, I can't get past what I thought the minute that Philly drafted Maclin. To me Maclin is Desean Jackson part 2. They are both burners in the purest form. And I just don't see how the two of them are going to coexist in Philly and both continue to be productive. Of course I don't think the offense will implode, but it's hard for me to see either Maclin or Jackson becoming a possession WR and that concerns me. I can't bring myself to see Maclin being the second WR and running longer plays alongside with Jackson. Now I could very well be wrong on this and one of them may become a possession WR or Philly may find a way to properly utilize them both as burners; but until that time, I will continue to worry about how this situation will play out. But I will say, had Maclin ended up on a different team, say NYG, then he would be my clear cut number 1 out of the three.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Nicks- lowest ceiling, highest floor. Most certain product of the three.

Maclin- best long-range option. Higher career ceiling than Nicks, though may not realize it first couple of years, due to previously mentioned issues with Philly spreading the ball. Doesn't have off-field issues like Harvin- and thus, doesn't have the high risk-factor.

Harvin- biggest risk factor. Off-field issues may limit his impact severely. I'd only take him if I had good depth and could afford to take the risk or if I was trying to win now and was angling on Brett Favre making him a force this year.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 pm

I have Harvin clearly at the top of the list.

Maclin isn't far behind, but besides the fact that Philly spreads the ball out it'll be damn hard for him to be a better WR then DeSean there, long term or short term, and regardless of where he was drafted I don't see it...With Harvin Minnesota is making plans for him, focusing the offense around him where as Maclin is fitting in, I like guys who are the focus of the gameplan on offense.

Both guys are play-makers, but Harvin is going to be a guy for the Vikings that is targeted heavily all over the place, Maclin seems like he could be hit or miss too many times, McNabb will look for him but I don't think he has the first step, scoring ability, or explosiveness that Harvin does(like any WR's in this class do).

Nicks is the safest bet, but what's put me off lately is how Hixon is in the mix, playing well, and has the edge of playing some games already and playing well, Sinorice Moss has played well, Steve Smith will play as he's one of Eli's favorite targets, Mario Manningham is still a good prospect in his own right, and Barden could fill the big red zone WR role.

Basically it's pretty crowded, so unless he emerges as 'special', more so then just 'solid', it'll be tough to crack the line-up and be the go to guy really...He is the 1st round pick so he'll be given chances to be that guy, but it's just a situation I could easily see him get lost in the shuffle, and I'm not very confident taking him early in the 1st rounds picks 7-11.

I'd rather move back a little and take the next tier of RB's and acquire picks, not very excited about Maclin or Nicks.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:05 am

LS2throwed wrote:I have Harvin clearly at the top of the list.

Maclin isn't far behind, but besides the fact that Philly spreads the ball out it'll be damn hard for him to be a better WR then DeSean there, long term or short term, and regardless of where he was drafted I don't see it...With Harvin Minnesota is making plans for him, focusing the offense around him where as Maclin is fitting in, I like guys who are the focus of the gameplan on offense.

Both guys are play-makers, but Harvin is going to be a guy for the Vikings that is targeted heavily all over the place, Maclin seems like he could be hit or miss too many times, McNabb will look for him but I don't think he has the first step, scoring ability, or explosiveness that Harvin does(like any WR's in this class do).

Nicks is the safest bet, but what's put me off lately is how Hixon is in the mix, playing well, and has the edge of playing some games already and playing well, Sinorice Moss has played well, Steve Smith will play as he's one of Eli's favorite targets, Mario Manningham is still a good prospect in his own right, and Barden could fill the big red zone WR role.

Basically it's pretty crowded, so unless he emerges as 'special', more so then just 'solid', it'll be tough to crack the line-up and be the go to guy really...He is the 1st round pick so he'll be given chances to be that guy, but it's just a situation I could easily see him get lost in the shuffle, and I'm not very confident taking him early in the 1st rounds picks 7-11.

I'd rather move back a little and take the next tier of RB's and acquire picks, not very excited about Maclin or Nicks.

This echoes my sentiments about these guys pretty well. I have Harvin in front right now by a good margin as he is just one of those guys that has "it". He's just a fantastic football player and is one of those guys that is a threat from wherever he is on the field and he'll be used in many ways I think this season...we'll see him running a wildcat offense, we'll see him catching passes, running the ball, maybe even returning on occasion just to mix it up. I think he's a guy that they'll put the ball in his hands just because he's that explosive and I don't think I can say that about any other receiver in this draft (Crabtree included).

I like Maclin and Nicks okay...but they just don't strike me as guys who can be "go to players" on their team and are explosive enough or refined enough to be the top threat for a team offensively. Harvin may not be the top threat since they have ADP, but I think he'll be a bigger part of the offense overall than Berrian will be and will have the ball in his hands a lot every single game.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattUTD20 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:20 am

I pretty much agree with LS2 and mattb. I'd take Harvin with the intent of trading him as soon as he has a good season and his value goes up. I just don't think the guy is going to stay out of trouble.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk