David Harris: Stud or Dud - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

David Harris: Stud or Dud

David Harris: Stud or Dud

Postby ninremix » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:11 pm

David Harris was a beast in his rookie year and failed to impress last year. With the addition of Bart Scott what do you guys think of David Harris?
ninremix
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: David Harris: Stud or Dud

Postby joejlitz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Is this an NFL question? :-?

Serouisly, I don't play IDP so I really can't tell you how the addition of Scott will affect Harris' play. I will say that Rex Ryan should turn the Jets Defense into a get after 'em, turn the ball over, score TDs type of DST that should help all Jets stats.

Oh - wrong place for this question, too. Assuming you are asking for FF purposes, I'll move this to Draft, Trade, Keeper, and Waiver Questions. ;-D

EDIT: Apparently we have an IDP topic this year all by itself. I've moved it there now. :-B
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:41 am

ninremix wrote:David Harris was a beast in his rookie year and failed to impress last year. With the addition of Bart Scott what do you guys think of David Harris?

Are you talking for 2009? Career? NFL? Fantasy? :-?

Either way, I think it's too early to tell with Harris. Harris battled injuries a lot in 2008. He only played in 11 games. New coach, new defensive scheme, the addition of Bart Scott. I think we need to see how he'll be used in this new system, before deciding stud or dud for 2009 & beyond. IMO Ryan will find the best way to use Harris, and he won't be a dud, but I don't know if he'll ever be the "stud" he was in his rookie season. Here's 2 writeups on Harris:

ILB David Harris. Harris was plagued by injuries in 2008, his second season, but figures to be a destructive force in the Jets' new attacking defense, which will better use his versatility. Harris can cover and tackle in space and rush the passer with equal skill.

ILB Bart Scott says: " He has (the type of) body to be as big or as lean or as cut as he wants. He can get downhill, and he packs a punch. I think right now he can be one of those new-breed type (of) inside linebackers."

FBG wrote:Best Case
David Harris didn't live up to the high expectations many had for him last season, but he did show flashes of potential. He's a strong run defender who showed excellent abilities as a blitzer during his rookie season. If he can stay healthy and get back to his rookie form, a LB1 season is certainly possible.

Worst Case
While Harris exploded onto the fantasy scene with a 20 solo game in just his 2nd game as a rookie starter, he was much more inconsistent in 2008. He had 8 or more solo tackles in 3 games but also finished with 2 or fewer in 3 games as well. Harris was outshadowed by veteran ILB Eric Barton last year, and the same could happen this year with Bart Scott joining the team.

Outlook
At this point, the incredible rookie season looks like it may have been a bit of a fluke. Harris is still a young LB with potential, but he'll be changing to a new defensive scheme this year and the new head coach brought in Bart Scott to potentially become the focal point of the Jets defense. The tackle numbers for both Scott and Ray Lewis in Baltimore were generally disappointing the past few years so there may not be as many tackle opportunities available in the new Jets defense this year. Harris is probably going to be a decent LB3 with LB2 upside if he can make some big plays.

I know that wasn't a definitive answer :-/ , but I hope that helps a little. :-? ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby ninremix » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:03 am

I was looking his Fantasy appeal
ninremix
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 204BC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:08 pm

I think he falls in between. Not quite a stud but not necessarily a dud. I wouldn't target him on draft day. With Bart Scott and Eric Barton in the mix I feel his potential contributions will be slightly reduced.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to IDP