A Long Run on WRs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A Long Run on WRs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: A Long Run on WRs

Postby smackthefirst » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 pm

ON topic - I agree with dgan here. Normally I'm the wait and see guy in the draft who looks for one strong WR and then pieces together a Frankenstein-esque WR2 during the draft from three or four guys who I'll rotate based on match-up throughout the year until one steps up and claims the spot. But this year, I see a huge drop off right after the 18th WR in PPR leagues. It's not that I don't think that the WRs from 19 on will be able to produce (I'm even sure that a few of them will sneak into the top 15 scoring wise by the end of the season), but there's nothing to separate a guy like VJax from a guy like LEvans in my eyes and I've got them ranked at 19th and 33rd respectively. That's a few rounds difference in draft spot and you could flip a coin on who will score more points by season's end and the same goes for everyone in between them. So for this year, it's almost a must to me to grab two of the guys ranked at 18 or better as long as I can do it without destroying the rest of my team. Then I'll sit back and wait for everyone else to pick and choose their WRs from the bunched group between 19 and 33 and I'll grab one or two of the guys that get passed over a few rounds later to fill out my WR core.

OFF topic - I'm in line with Matt here. I love the situation for TJ now that he is in Seattle. Yes there is Carlson to take a few TDs from TJ, yes they will be a more running team, and yes they are relatively deep at WR; but none of those things make me think for one second that TJ won't produce well and finish as a top 15 WR. Carlson, while he does have talent, was also the best WR on Seattle last year by default because every other WR got hurt. There simply was no one else to throw to. Which brings me to the deep WR core. These are the same WRs that went down last year quicker than people could add them as FAs. Branch gets hurt putting on his shoes at this point, so he doesn't concern me. Butler is a rookie and rookie WRs rarely make a huge impact. Kent, Obomanu, and Payne are just flat out not on the level of TJ and will only come into the picture in passing formations or if the injury train rolls through again. That leaves Burleson and I don't think anyone will argue that Burleson's stretch the field routes will interfere with TJ's possession type routes. I'm also of the belief that Hass will return to form (within reason and expectations) this year. The back right now does not concern me and I'm confident that the more hits he takes during the preseason and early season, the more that everyone else will start to realize that he is fully recovered.

So even though I'm not marking TJ down as a top 5 WR this year, I have no doubts that he finishes inside the top 15 WRs and I also have very little doubt that Hass squeeks into the top 15 for QBs this year by the end of the season as well.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A Long Run on WRs

Postby fantasizing » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 am

I also agree that TJ is in an ideal offense for his skill sets. Hass is a very accurate short to medium range passer. He is not a good deep passer, and rarely does go deep. This fits TJ's receiving style very well. Palmer is more a vertical deep ball thrower. I read some bizarre stat a few years ago that said Palmer had the highest completion percentage of any QB when throwing passes greater than 15 yards, but was in the middle of the pack when throwing passes less than 15 yards. I find that quite perplexing. Hasselbeck is probably the 100% opposite, and TJ works the short middle of the field very well, and the sidelines
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk