CBS vs Yahoo - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

CBS vs Yahoo

Moderator: Football Moderators

CBS vs Yahoo

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:42 pm

The yahoo plus league says its only $29.95? Is it still $14.95 per team on top of that price or is that it for the league? I signed up for cbs for $140ish, and am angry at this price comparison, why would one stay at cbs? Am I missing something here?

-Angry cbs commish
Philliebuster
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CBS vs Yahoo

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry but you're not missing anything that I know of. I too was a CBS commish for years and this year was the final price increase that I could stomach and I moved over to MFL.com after all the recommendations from posters here whose opinions I value.

The main thing CBS has going for it is that it's what you're used to. I was nervous making the move to MFL and at first I thought I would regret it as there was a slight learning curve. But now I couldn't be happier and actually regret not making a change earlier.

With all that being said, I do think CBS has a very nicely laid out platform with a lot of useful information. The problem for me is that I could not justify the price, which kept increasing year after year, when I compared it to some of the other options out there. And my feelings have been confirmed now that I have not renewed my CBS league as I have received up until this point 2 separate emails from CBS offering to discount my league if I would renew for the upcoming season immediately. Of course, I've passed on every offer thus far and doubt I would return regardless of what discounts they offered.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:16 pm

I will avoid editorializing and clarify our pricing :-)

$29.95 for a plus league. If someone has purchased the league, that is the sum total of all costs. If instead you choose to buy a single team, for example to be placed in a league with others, that is $14.95. So when you say:
The yahoo plus league says its only $29.95? Is it still $14.95 per team on top of that price or is that it for the league?

It is never $14.95 on top of $29.95; if someone bought the league, they paid $29.95 and that's it. If people bought individual teams, they pay $14.95 each.

Hope this helps.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I will avoid editorializing and clarify our pricing :-)

$29.95 for a plus league. If someone has purchased the league, that is the sum total of all costs. If instead you choose to buy a single team, for example to be placed in a league with others, that is $14.95. So when you say:
The yahoo plus league says its only $29.95? Is it still $14.95 per team on top of that price or is that it for the league?

It is never $14.95 on top of $29.95; if someone bought the league, they paid $29.95 and that's it. If people bought individual teams, they pay $14.95 each.

Hope this helps.

Thats what I thought it was. Damn that's a good price. I just got settled in at cbs too, next year I can't justify staying there if they don't bring the price down.
Philliebuster
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Why is this a debate? Tie.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:00 am

aaawall91 wrote:Why is this a debate? Tie.

Huh? Not following you...how is there a tie? Do you think cbs is worth the cost? I think Yahoo execs must have been sitting around a table thinking, "how can we actually charge $150 for this, we don't have any overhead?"

And they actually reduced the price. Cbs is still robbing us. I used to play at fanball b/c it was cheaper, but I do like cbs format better. But I think Yahoo's is almost as good, specially for the 30 bucks.
Philliebuster
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:24 am

Why play at either? either pay and go MFL or free and go fleaflicker.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:45 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Why play at either? either pay and go MFL or free and go fleaflicker.

I don't understand the love for MFL leagues. I personally think the website is clunky, difficult to navigate, and the layout is poor. Overall the site sucks in general and the only thing going for it is the lower price compared to a site like CBS. It's just plain difficult to get the information you need on that website. Players lists can only be sorted certain ways for instance. When you want to do something, you have to constantly re-navigate through the myriad menu system. Instead of easy to use drop down selections, you have to constantly check and recheck boxes. It takes time to both learn and use that website and that's time I just don't want to waste.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:Why play at either? either pay and go MFL or free and go fleaflicker.

I don't understand the love for MFL leagues. I personally think the website is clunky, difficult to navigate, and the layout is poor. Overall the site sucks in general and the only thing going for it is the lower price compared to a site like CBS. It's just plain difficult to get the information you need on that website. Players lists can only be sorted certain ways for instance. When you want to do something, you have to constantly re-navigate through the myriad menu system. Instead of easy to use drop down selections, you have to constantly check and recheck boxes. It takes time to both learn and use that website and that's time I just don't want to waste.

I can understand and appreciate that argument. And unfortunately for MFL, it's not one that they are likely to work on anytime soon. Personally, I have no problem with coding and writing scripts (since I don't do it for a job anymore, I actually find it enjoyable) and that's why I love MFL and would never leave them as they allow me to write the script for my own league. But if you're not into writing script or your commish isn't or no one wants to pay someone else to do it for your league, then MFL can be clunky at times.

Personally, I paid a company to help me get a good base going because I didn't have the time to do it and then I picked up from there and started running with it. Here's one of my leagues for this year and this is the first year that this league is on MFL and I've been working on the site for about a month now. So you can see that the possibilities are pretty much endless if you want to put the time into it.

MFL Site
Last edited by smackthefirst on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:07 am

personally I have always used yahoo. My friends will typically just join the free leagues. Most of them do not want to pay for anything so I typically just pay the 10 dollars and get scoring in my three leagues.
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk