Brandon Jacobs and his competition - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brandon Jacobs and his competition

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brandon Jacobs and his competition

Postby pinebluffracing » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Is Jocabs going to have a good year considering his coachs strategy to use three RBs. And more specifically, how is he in a PPR league. I'm hoping he is a must start week in and week out. I do have a higher rated back on my keeper team, but what to make sure Jacobs will work regularly in a PPR league.
pinebluffracing
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brandon Jacobs and his competition

Postby ninremix » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:15 pm

I have been wondering this question as well.
ninremix
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Misconception. The Giants do not use 3 RBs. They only really use 2. Bradshaw had 67 carries last year 30 of those came in 3 games when the Giants were either murdering someone or Jacobs was hurt. 4 games last year Bradshaw didn't even get carries. I think Andre Brown will end up being the primary backup. He's more in the mold of Derrick Ward.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:37 am

I do remember a game or two last year when Jacobs sat out the whole 4th quarter and not necessarily because the game was out of hand. It was very frustrating.

Any Jacobs or Giants fans who can confirm this?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby dgan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:34 am

I've had Jacobs two years in a row - I can confirm that 4th quarter last year. The way I remember it, Coughlin said Jacobs had a sore knee so they kept him out as a precaution...Jacobs denied and said he was 100%. Never really found out who was telling the truth there, but my guess is that Jacobs didn't want to admit he was hurt.

I'd be concerned about Jacobs in a PPR league. I don't play in a PPR so I haven't run any projections, but if the running game takes a step back since they don't have a WR deserving of regular double coverage, Jacobs won't make up the difference with receptions. He only had 219 carries last year - he helped fantasy teams by a 5 ypc average and 15 TDs. I think it is realistic to believe those numbers will decline, however he may carry the ball more often with Ward gone.

Best case scenario: More carries with a worse average.
Worst case scenario: Similar carries and the whole offense becomes less efficient and productive.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Football Talk