over under on jesse holley? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

over under on jesse holley?

Moderator: Football Moderators

over under on jesse holley?

Postby breezyb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:07 pm

So I just watched the final show of 4th and long...in which Jesse Holley received a contract for the cowboys roster. Over under for number of years in the nfl for holley....1 1/2.... i say under. Don't think he will be reporting for training camp next year. He is good...but i don't know if he will make it at wr....and curious...did the cowboys forfeit one of their draft picks or did they just cut someone from last year to open up a spot for the show winner?
breezyb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: over under on jesse holley?

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:25 pm

I'm no judge of talent, but I s'pose the odds are very long on him staying with the 'boys, although Avezzano did say he could outperform some of the Cowboys current backup WRs. As for his roster spot, it's just the 80 man roster right now. I think there are 2 cuts before the final 55 man roster is set. Plus he would have a chance to make the practice team.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby breezyb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:15 pm

I see...they kinda made it sound like he had a final roster spot...so i was thinking that knowing j.jones he would probably do that for all the money he made for the show.
breezyb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby joejlitz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:05 am

breezyb wrote:I see...they kinda made it sound like he had a final roster spot...so i was thinking that knowing j.jones he would probably do that for all the money he made for the show.

Heck yeah. At first I thought this publicity stunt was nothing more than a money-maker which made a farce of the NFL. After watching the show, I suppose I can liken it more to a series of "private" workouts whereby they chose Holley to come to camp.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 am

I think he may have a legit shot. And yeah its just an invite to camp, still has to make the 55 man roster. But making a team @ WR with a shot at Special Teams. Figure he should be able to beat out Isiah Stanbeck at the least.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:21 am

breezyb wrote:So I just watched the final show of 4th and long...in which Jesse Holley received a contract for the cowboys roster. Over under for number of years in the nfl for holley....1 1/2.... i say under. Don't think he will be reporting for training camp next year. He is good...but i don't know if he will make it at wr....and curious...did the cowboys forfeit one of their draft picks or did they just cut someone from last year to open up a spot for the show winner?

They didn't forfeit any picks, he's just counting as one person on the initial 70 man rosters just like every other team...Just like I was telling people before, they made it seem like because it was a TV show they were going to pick up some bum off the street who could catch a football and run fast, but whether or not Holley makes it he's for sure better then some of the Training Camp fodder the Cowboys have had at WR ie Danny Amendola & Todd Lowber.

Holley is much better then those two, has prototypical size, and NFL experience because he was on the Bengals Practice Squad a year or 2 ago, so he's faced NFL corners before and been picked up by an NFL team long before the show came along...For him to make the final 53 he would have to tear the pre-season up literally, then he would be kept only due to fear that someone else would snatch him up...Now if Stanback or Hurd get hurt he could easily pick up the slack if he stays healthy so it's really not crazy to think he makes it, Stanback is a QB/athlete playing WR and he just isn't a very good WR, Hurd is average but doesn't provide the height and leaping ability of Holley.

So he's a long shot, but no worse then what alot of teams bring in for the bottom of their roster, don't be fooled into thinking that just because it was a reality show that he's any worse then the bottom barrel of any teams 70 man roster in early August(not saying you were, but alot of people feel that way). I think Dallas is higher on Kevin Ogletree personally, and Manuel Johnson from OU was a 7th rounder that you would hate to see cut so soon, so again he would have to light the pre-season up and make a name for himself similiar to how Miles Austin did last year.

Worst case I'd love to stash him on the PS because I think he offers some nice upside in a year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:53 am

Every team in the league does some form of this, with offseason tryouts for street FAs and rookie camps. It earns you a paycheck and an invite to camp, with a shot to make the 55 or practice squad, and a couple of those guys make teams every year. Priest Holmes is a great example. Undrafted, unsigned as a FA, the Ravens invited him to one of their rookie camps, where he put on a show and was invited to camp. Made the team, had a few great years and wound up with what 8-10 years in the NFL?
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:Every team in the league does some form of this, with offseason tryouts for street FAs and rookie camps.

The difference is that the Cowboys are smart enough to make a TV show out of it, gain more fans, and improve on their national following (AKA America's Team).

And I hate them for it and my own Eagles for not thinking of it first.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby biju » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:29 am

Just out of curiosity, did the NFL bump up the team roster size to 55, or did someone say 55 and everyone else followed suit? I'm pretty damn sure it's a 53 man roster.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 am

biju wrote:Just out of curiosity, did the NFL bump up the team roster size to 55, or did someone say 55 and everyone else followed suit? I'm pretty damn sure it's a 53 man roster.

:-D

My bad. I was including the ball boys. ;-D
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Football Talk