Ray Rice, why all the love? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ray Rice, why all the love?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ray Rice, why all the love?

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 pm

I thought about replying to some things I was reading in another thread but thought it merited its own. I don't get all the love for Ray Rice. Are people jumping on the bandwagon just because the was spending some time running with the 1's in OTAs? This guy was primarily a 3rd down back last year unless McGahee was hurt, in which case he accounted for over 50% of his 107 carries in those 3 games. Keep in mind that McGahee was limited in OTAs due to his spring knee surgery, which most likely contributed to Rice running almost exclusively with the first team in OTAs. There was really nothing we saw last year that would give you an inclination that Rice was chipping away at more and more playing time.

I don't think I've ever seen so much favor for a backup taking the job of a still young, very talented starting back.

I expect Rice to play a bigger role this year with McClain playing a larger role at fullback but I don't expect him to be anything close to 3 rounds more draftworthy than McGahee.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ray Rice, why all the love?

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Considering McGahee had offseason surgery on both his knee and ankle added to his already long list of injuries/surgeries, anyone hoping for a McGahee comeback tour is seriously misguided. The guy is a walking injury waiting to happen. I won't dispute his talent, it is there, but you have to have the body to display it on the field and he doesn't have that anymore.

If it wasn't for the huge ($10m+) cap hit, the Ravens probably would have released him by now.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:15 pm

mattUTD20 wrote:Considering McGahee had offseason surgery on both his knee and ankle added to his already long list of injuries/surgeries, anyone hoping for a McGahee comeback tour is seriously misguided. The guy is a walking injury waiting to happen. I won't dispute his talent, it is there, but you have to have the body to display it on the field and he doesn't have that anymore.

If it wasn't for the huge ($10m+) cap hit, the Ravens probably would have released him by now.

Ordinarily I would agree, but this is McGahee we're talking about. The dude who broked his knee in the Orange Bowl and came back to play at a very high level, very soon in the NFL. He has some super recuperative powers.
That said, I will not, and Willis, should not put much weight on those knees. I won't reach for Rice, but would opt for he over McGahee late in the draft. Much more likely to be playing toward the end of the season.
Sucks, too, 'cause Willis was a beast who never got to show us all he had.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:40 pm

- Baltimore was #1 in rushing attempts last season
- Rice and McGahee's roles will be far less limited fading McClain into the background as the FB (he added 20 pounds)
- McGahee had off season knee and ankle surgerys
- Cam Cameron excites me very much, yes he was there last year but I don't think McClain is his kind of back to be running the show.

There is going to be enough rushing attempts to call Rice "safe" in my book. And when there is a lot of touches going around there is a higher chance of backs getting injured, and I think McGahee chances of getting hurt or tweaked are higher than Rice due the fact that Rice is fairly fresh and has little wear and tear on him.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:00 pm

mattUTD20 wrote:

Speculation by a couple Baltimore beat reporters. No way they would think of going into the year with Rice and a 6th round rookie as their primary RBs.

Also remember that last year McGahee missed almost all of training camp with a similar knee surgery and got plugged right into the lineup week 2. He'll be good to go by camp this year.

Don't forget Rice got hurt week 14 and missed a month himself. He was only touching the ball about 10 times a game.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 pm

Azrael wrote:
mattUTD20 wrote:

Speculation by a couple Baltimore beat reporters. No way they would think of going into the year with Rice and a 6th round rookie as their primary RBs.

Also remember that last year McGahee missed almost all of training camp with a similar knee surgery and got plugged right into the lineup week 2. He'll be good to go by camp this year.

Don't forget Rice got hurt week 14 and missed a month himself. He was only touching the ball about 10 times a game.

Not just reporters making idle speculation. JH/Cam both hate McGahee by all reports, as he is a selfish, unmotivated player who has refused to work in the offseason program and showed up out of shape last year. The Miami guys work out down there in the offseason, but McGahee hasnt earned the respect that Lewis/Reed have where they can show up when they want.

Also, I know McGahee's "I'll get mine" comments going into the WC game last year would have spelled the end of his tenure if they could avoid the cap hit.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:49 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Ray Rice and I think the hype will calm down quiet a bit before the draft. It's easy to discount McGahee without seeing him in action, but if he's looking even a little sharp in preseason action (if he gets any) I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed the reached for him in early drafts.

Also don't forget that it's entirely possible McClain gets used at the goal line vulturing a lot of TDs and making both McGahee *and* Rice only useful as yardage hounds.

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:24 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Azrael wrote:
mattUTD20 wrote:

Not just reporters making idle speculation. JH/Cam both hate McGahee by all reports, as he is a selfish, unmotivated player who has refused to work in the offseason program and showed up out of shape last year. The Miami guys work out down there in the offseason, but McGahee hasnt earned the respect that Lewis/Reed have where they can show up when they want.

Also, I know McGahee's "I'll get mine" comments going into the WC game last year would have spelled the end of his tenure if they could avoid the cap hit.

Please document something to support this statement. He attended all of the voluntary workouts this spring.

The coaches hate him according to what reports?
Coaches ultimately want and NEED to win, personal feelings aside. Talented players don't just get cut because they don't have the greatest relationship with coaches. If they have an opportunity to have a young veteran like Willis on the team they would much rather prefer that than just having Ray Rice as their feature back. I'm sure of that.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mattUTD20 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 am

Azrael wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Azrael wrote:

Please document something to support this statement. He attended all of the voluntary workouts this spring.

OWINGS MILLS — Although Baltimore Ravens veteran running back Willis McGahee returned to practice Tuesday after skipping a voluntary minicamp a week ago, he has not regained his starting job. ...

Ravens coach John Harbaugh issued a terse reply when asked about McGahee’s progress.

"I don’t know," Harbaugh said. "I have no idea where he’s at. It’s the first day he’s been here in a week and a half. I can’t gauge it."

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/artic ... hee_63.txt
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:18 am

Old news. One short reply from the coach in early June after the guy missed a week because of knee surgery and that qualifies as "by all accounts the coaches hate him", ok.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk