Ray Rice, why all the love? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ray Rice, why all the love?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ray Rice, why all the love?

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:33 am

They may not make things up out of thin air but it's alarming how few times they are actually right about things like this...it's all coachspeak until we actually see something that confirms it. Sometimes coaches will even say things in the off season just to try to motivate a guy to work harder or something...you never know and that's why you can only put so much stock into things like this.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 011472 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:38 am

I'm still looking at the Baltimore offense, but I'm starting to think the guy I'd want is McClain. Considering how often the Ravens run the ball, any of the three guys in the mix has the potential for a lot of touches. It may take another injury to Rice or McGahee to put McClain closer to a featured position, but he'll see a lot of goal line carries no matter who's getting the most touches.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Cedric Peerman ain't chopped liver either - his 4.45 in the 40 was the fastest RB time at the combine and he has decent hands, so it'll be interesting to see how they use him in training camp.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:38 pm

His adp is the reason why he's sought after, but he has been climbing pretty high...By all accounts he looks like the future at RB for Baltimore so in keeper leagues I see the appeal, it's a team who will run the ball alot and they pretty much have no choice, you can choose to dismiss all the info out of camp or rely on it, but I don't think it's crazy to think Rice takes over alot of the workload this year.

Anyone still relying on McGahee is in for a long season, I told this same thing to people last year, but I guess the 3 weeks he was useful out of 17 makes him appealing to some people.

He was constantly injured before last year, then last year he was constantly injured again, now he had off-season surgery on his ankle and knee *again* yet people still think he's a threat to anyone? Was it is 600 yards last year? Yes he recovered fast from his old injuries, but most people should know it's only a matter of time before the constant knee and ankle surgeries take a toll and knock the explosion and ability from a player.

I think McClain could get some goal line work, but Rice should lead this team in carries, and if he's going in round 5-7 that looks like a value to me, I don't want him in the 2nd or 3rd, but he's the one you want in this backfield and McGahee's name shouldn't even be brought up as a threat to anyone anymore.

Stop living in the past people, McGahee is there because he signed an enormous contract so the team will get whatever they can from him, but he's not worth the headache that he'll come with.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 pm

I think it boils down to potential. No one is talking about him in the first couple rounds...they're talking about what guy can you get later that you don't have to rely on, but could surprise in being a top 10 RB? Ray Rice fits all the criteria for that - good rookie season, great running team, bad division and very easy schedule, oft-injured vet coming off multiple offseason surgeries, and most football reporters and fantasy 'experts' are saying it is Rice's job to lose.

Now, realistically, could they split carries? Sure. Could this be a Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams situation? Sure. But is there POTENTIAL for a huge season? Absolutely...and that's why all the love.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk