AVT/VBD Spreadsheet - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

AVT/VBD Spreadsheet

Moderator: Football Moderators

AVT/VBD Spreadsheet

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:39 am

Well, I'm not sure if any of you who were here then remember but I created a spreadsheet a couple years back that incorporates 2 drafting theories/strategies to create a set of rankings. I have decided to completely update it with current stats and tried to make sure it's all working properly...I'm by no means an "excel expert" so if anyone who looks at it has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them but I think it's well designed overall and can be helpful to those who want another tool to look at.

The two theories/strategies used to calculate the rankings are Average Value Theory (AVT) and Value Based Drafting (VBD). AVT basically takes how each position has performed over the past few seasons and takes the average of a spot (i.e. RB1, RB2) and projects that as the likely final fantasy points for whoever the RB1 or RB2 will be. It's explained better in the spreadsheet if you're interested. VBD is simply an approach that takes into account the amount of starters and the use of scarcity to determine where certain players should go based on where their value is in comparison to other players in their position.

The spreadsheet is fully customizable including everything from league size, starting requirements, and scoring system. It is capable of projecting every position down to IDPs, Kickers, and Team Defenses.

I thought it would be a good tool for those who want something to look at and see how things can change with different league settings, league size, etc. I'd be very interested in any and all feedback from those who decide to download and take a look and/or use it.

Excel 2007: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kmmy0uzz2mm
Older Excel Versions: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?anjmxzmeklt

Just as a note...there is a macro in the spreadsheet so you may need to enable it depending on how you have your settings in excel set up. It's just a simple one created to sort the rankings once changes are made.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: AVT/VBD Spreadsheet

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:55 am

Also...it would be a great help if someone downloads it and let's me know if it's working properly...I'm hoping there are no major issues but if there are then I'll have to work out some things. Thanks.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:42 am

It's telling me to start looking at TEs and DSTs in the second round, and to pick Brees in the middle of the first?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby benb18a » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:13 am

I tried entering a league's scoring system, and after clicking the "click here" button it says "cannot run the 'blah blah blah Sort_Rankings.' The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled."

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 am

There are going to be some things that may not make "sense" from the standpoint of practicality in the normal sense of drafting but all this spreadsheet does is compare where players within a position should be valued in comparison with each other depending on how many you start in your league and the scoring system. What it doesn't take into account are things like being able to accurately predict which players/teams will be near the top of rankings and that's always why it's pointless to take a defense early even if they may have the top defense be far better than some of the middle range defenses.

This is by no means a "draft by the rankings" type of thing but it can give you a good idea of how the players, especially those of RB and WR, can compare between positions as far as the drop in value goes. It's not going to be perfect across the board...nothing like this ever is or will be but it's a tool nonetheless and can be useful.

As far as the issue with the Macros go...they may not be enabled in your program (hence my statement at the end of my first post) so you'll need to do that first. Are you using 2007 or an earlier version?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby benb18a » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:29 am

I'm not sure what version the Excel is, I bought the computer new in December and it came with Vista, I would guess it's the current version? How would I set up a macro?

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:30 am

benb18a wrote:I'm not sure what version the Excel is, I bought the computer new in December and it came with Vista, I would guess it's the current version? How would I set up a macro?

Well, the Macro should be in there already, it's just a matter of enabling it. If it's 2007, when the file is opened there should be a bar that appears near the top (under the toolbar) that says "Security Warning Some active content has been disabled" and then there will be a button next to it that says "Options" which you'll want to click and you can enable it.

Otherwise you'll need to go to "Tools", "Macros", and I believe it should be something like Options or Settings under that where you can change the security settings which are holding it back from allowing the macro to run like it's supposed to.

If you have 2007 then try downloading the 2007 version one as it will probably work much better for you.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Football Talk